iceblinkfroufrou

My new speakers are sometimes too bassy.

I bought some Polk Audio TSX 440t speakers recently and was initially blown away with the sound quality compared to my old Sony speakers, which i think cost around $400. However i've been slowly going thru' my cd collection and listening to everything again on these new speakers, and i've found a problem.

They are too bassy sometimes. They are connected to a Harman Kardon HK4770 receiver btw. i no longer turn the subwoofer on either.

I love to hear the bass in music. My DAP has the bass set at maximum. But with some songs i'm hearing thru' the Polks the bass seems to cover everything else and makes it difficult to listen to.

Someone suggested stuffing a bunch of tea towels or something into the vents[is that what they're called?] at the bottom of the speakers but that didn't change anything.

Some of the albums i'm listening to sound glorious, but unfortunately some don't anymore.

Well i've decided the only thing i can do is to go to an audio shop and buy one of those very expensive 'Anti-Subwoofers' i've heard about!

Apparently they suck all the bass out of the music.

I was just listening to some King's X and the bass was perfect at the setting of 8. Then some Devin Townsend, and i had to peel the bass back to -2. Then Andy Williams was somewhere in between.

All were pre-recorded CDs too.

My original rating for the speakers were 5/5, now it's 2.5/5. Maybe they aren't too suited to my receiver?

This is the first time in my life where i've had a set up where there is so much variation with the bass, and it pisses me off tbh.

Bass varies significantly from recording to recording. Your bass problems are most likely caused by the sound wave interaction with your room causing large boosts in some frequencies but not others. Your amp/receiver is most likely not the problem. You are considering a product such as this? http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

Edited by Satanica

18 minutes ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

I bought some Polk Audio TSX 440t speakers recently and was initially blown away with the sound quality compared to my old Sony speakers, which i think cost around $400. However i've been slowly going thru' my cd collection and listening to everything again on these new speakers, and i've found a problem.

They are too bassy sometimes. They are connected to a Harman Kardon HK4770 receiver btw. i no longer turn the subwoofer on either.

I love to hear the bass in music. My DAP has the bass set at maximum. But with some songs i'm hearing thru' the Polks the bass seems to cover everything else and makes it difficult to listen to.

Someone suggested stuffing a bunch of tea towels or something into the vents[is that what they're called?] at the bottom of the speakers but that didn't change anything.

Some of the albums i'm listening to sound glorious, but unfortunately some don't anymore.

Well i've decided the only thing i can do is to go to an audio shop and buy one of those very expensive 'Anti-Subwoofers' i've heard about!

Apparently they suck all the bass out of the music.

I was just listening to some King's X and the bass was perfect at the setting of 8. Then some Devin Townsend, and i had to peel the bass back to -2. Then Andy Williams was somewhere in between.

All were pre-recorded CDs too.

My original rating for the speakers were 5/5, now it's 2.5/5. Maybe they aren't too suited to my receiver?

This is the first time in my life where i've had a set up where there is so much variation with the bass, and it pisses me off tbh.

Have you considered the positioning of your speakers? Perhaps you could post some pic's of your system and speakers in situ.  

47 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Have you considered the positioning of your speakers? Perhaps you could post some pic's of your system and speakers in situ.  

+1 Definitely worthwhile trying first. Try moving your speakers further away from the front wall and see what difference it makes.

10 minutes ago, jt301 said:

+1 Definitely worthwhile trying first. Try moving your speakers further away from the front wall and see what difference it makes.

and out of corners. Also a bit of space from the side walls. Luckily getting rid of excess bass is a bit easier than trying to reinforce it however "boom" could be a characteristic of the speakers. Tight clean bass generally costs $$$

Why not turn the DAP bass down?

Bass traps, speaker position, varying music choice.

I suspect that everyone above is correct.

Out of control bass can normally be tracked down to

1. Speaker position in relation to the front walls and the side walls.

2. Seat position in relation to the speakers

3. Seat position in relation to the walls (front, rear, and sides)

4. Recordings

• Old recordings have little bass (as a general rule)
  • New recordings tend to have a lot more bass (as a general rule)
  • New recordings have been mastered to be very loud (even the supposed-to-be quiet bits)

Sure, some speakers might be a bit bassy but I doubt that that would make them unlistenable.  Very unlikely to be a speaker problem.  How did they sound when you auditioned them?  Are they suited to the sort of music that you play?

Don't spend any money on any of this, at the moment anyway.

So firstly I would ...

Place the speakers about 1meter into the room from the front wall and about the same from the side walls (if that is physically possible).  Speakers about 2.5 - 3 meters apart. 

Place the chair the same distance away so you end up with roughly an equilateral triangle. 

Angle the speakers so that they point at the chair.

Your ears should be 1meter or more from the rear wall.  Any less than that and the reflection from the rear wall will make it very bassy.

Proximity to walls (of speakers or ears) is generally bad.  Corners are extremely bad.

There are all sorts of formulae on the net about placement of speakers, all good starting points, but in the end it really depends on your room and it's dimensions.

What are the dimensions and shape of your room?

What are the floor, walls made from?

Here are 2 easy starting points that are as good as anything.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm#D

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_rectangular_room.php

Once you have a reasonable starting position, you can make slight adjustments until it's the best that you can do.

---------------

Why have the bass at maximum?  Its not doing your speakers or amp any good with low frequencies being run flat-out all the time.  Something is going to break.

Turn it down.

---------------

Andy Williams and Devin Townsend (heavy metal, for those that don't know of them) are about as far apart as you could possibly get re recording technique so I am not surprised at all that they are at opposite ends of your bass scale.

Turn the DAP down and listen to KingsX again. Come back with the results.:)

Can't turn the bass down i'm afraid, especially for the Dogman album.

I have a FiiO X3, both a 1st and a 2nd generation. The 2nd gen. simply has bugger all bass compared to the previous model imo. The 1st has a Wolfsen chip whereas the other doesn't so maybe that's the difference? I know in the reviews of the 1st one the Wolfsen kept being mentioned with a big thumbs up.

Several posts have mentioned and requested for information on the room and location of the speakers, seating position. A picture and/or sketch will help...

yep. "Boom is room" - hopefully the room is large enough so that speakers and listening chair can be out from the walls, otherwise...patient trials can try to get a good result.

This is exactly where measurement stuff (mic, mic preamp, REW software) works to give a lovely bottom end.......$200.

It is a TINY room and not suited for listening pleasure i suppose, but it's the only one available.

11.5 feet wide by 10 feet deep.

The speakers are just a few inches from the corners of the room. The listening position is in the middle of the speakers and the seat i use is 16 inches from the wall facing the speakers

As you can see the room is awful!

7 minutes ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

It is a TINY room and not suited for listening pleasure i suppose, but it's the only one available.

11.5 feet wide by 10 feet deep.

When you are released on parole you will be able to find a bigger place. Floorstanders and a sub? Wow.:)

Suggest taking the speakers out of the corners, more away from side wall, say 1 foot.  Yes, your room is small but speakers should not be parked in corners and likely the cause of being too bassy. You will need to experiment with various distances eg more away from side wall than back wall etc..

On 11/02/2018 at 11:42 AM, iceblinkfroufrou said:

My DAP has the bass set at maximum

On 12/02/2018 at 3:39 AM, iceblinkfroufrou said:

Can't turn the bass down i'm afraid

I dont understand why you can't turn the bass down. It would appear to be the first thing to try doing.

20 minutes ago, eltech said:

I dont understand why you can't turn the bass down. It would appear to be the first thing to try doing.

Agree. Bass is turned up full, bass is too much. Turn bass down 

No, the bass IS turned right down on some songs. I have the bass full on when listening to my FiiO X3, 1st generation DAP. Why? Coz it sound great and the bass doesn't actually overpower everything.

I'm sure someone said that the 4 posts at the back of the speakers comprise of the bottom pair being something to do with the bass, and the top pair for the treble. Is that correct?

At the moment both speakers are connected to the bottom pair, if i change it to the top pair would that affect the sound and make it less bassy?

8 minutes ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

At the moment both speakers are connected to the bottom pair, if i change it to the top pair would that affect the sound and make it less bassy?

It really depends on the speaker, but sometimes yes... try it. :)

JSmith :ninja:

29 minutes ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

I'm sure someone said that the 4 posts at the back of the speakers comprise of the bottom pair being something to do with the bass, and the top pair for the treble. Is that correct?

If there are 4 posts then you need to do one of the following:

1) biwire: run two sets of speaker cables per speaker. One goes into the bottom two posts and the other into the top two posts. 

2) run one set of cables into either top or bottom posts and then have a jumper connection between the two 

see picture 

IMG_1832.JPG.4532dc8473dd9070097efbae7f72023e.JPG

if you only have speaker cable into the bottom posts and you don't have the top and bottom posts connected (like they are in the picture) then your tweeters aren't getting any signal  

that would explain the problem

Elementary Zingmore, ( I remove my Deerstalker, reach for my violin and ponder the footprints of a gigantic hound). Well done.

39 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

If there are 4 posts then you need to do one of the following:

1) biwire: run two sets of speaker cables per speaker. One goes into the bottom two posts and the other into the top two posts. 

2) run one set of cables into either top or bottom posts and then have a jumper connection between the two 

see picture 

IMG_1832.JPG.4532dc8473dd9070097efbae7f72023e.JPG

if you only have speaker cable into the bottom posts and you don't have the top and bottom posts connected (like they are in the picture) then your tweeters aren't getting any signal  

that would explain the problem

I get the biwiring at the speaker end but how does it work at the amp end? Two wires into each speaker out terminal?

1 minute ago, swervyn said:

I get the biwiring at the speaker end but how does it work at the amp end? Two wires into each speaker out terminal?

Easier with a picture

Wiring_bi.gif