Brisbane headfi club????

Guest Benjet

Anyone in Brisvegas keen of forming a headfi club (or maybe there already is one.....). Maybe start by bouncing some ideas around on this thread. See how it goes and maybe later get together and have try out each other’s gear..just a thought...

Yeah, could be the beginning of the end...... but it’ll have a great soundtrack.... Anyhow good place to start, what have you got and what do you want? I’m currently sitting on...

Headphones:

LCD-3

HE-500

HD6xx

HE-1000 v1 (due next week)

DAC

Gustard x20 pro running through a Pink Faun i2s pci-e interface

QED Digit, old bitstream DAC heavily modified

Amp

AMB M3 solid state (DIY kit)

K272x hybrid amps configured in a balanced design, output via 2x Burson V6 classic opamps

Bottlehead Crack, 5998 output tube

Dragonfly Red

My portable gear isn't where my money is unfortunately, but have:

Beoplay H6v2

iSine 10

(coming) Hiby R6

Been umm and aaring about some tubes for the office (Fostex HP-V1, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies) but need to do some serious A/B'ing first.

My portable gear isn't where my money is unfortunately, but have:

Beoplay H6v2
iSine 10
(coming) Hiby R6

Been umm and aaring about some tubes for the office (Fostex HP-V1, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies) but need to do some serious A/B'ing first.

I had the iSine 20. Didn’t suit my needs in the long run so I sold them. Use my HD650 and the Dragonfly Red for my portable rig. Much prefer their sound.

At the moment, I've only got the HE500 as a headphone. Will be getting a HEX and a LCD3 and perhaps a Sundara down the track. Running off a Jotunheim atm.

8cf61bb4caf522d7f26c546d8a92de25.jpg
My HE-500 sitting on a hybrid amp I built for them. Really gets the best out of these headphones imo

Ok, only three headphone enthusiasts in Queensland... might have guessed there were more ......Anyhow, how’s the saying go...Three a crowd. So we can now be referred to as the Brisbane Headfi Crowd ;) What’s everyone been listening too?

• 4 weeks later...

I have HD800 and Fostex TH-610

Tend to only rock 1 pair of cans at a time though, so likely be one set soon.

Trying some more at Audio Tailor soon, looking at the T1 or LCD3 or something. Not sure what suits me best yet!

And Dac/Amp only have a JDS Labs Element, so nothing fancy :S

Guest Benjet
I have HD800 and Fostex TH-610

Tend to only rock 1 pair of cans at a time though, so likely be one set soon.

Trying some more at Audio Tailor soon, looking at the T1 or LCD3 or something. Not sure what suits me best yet!

And Dac/Amp only have a JDS Labs Element, so nothing fancy :S

I’ve got some LCD3 up for sale if you are interested... you are welcome to come have a listen.

Guest Benjet

How much are you looking to spend? the lcd2 might be a good option, you can get them for under $1000. It depends on what sound you are chasing and what you are going to power them off. I’ve currently using a DIY hybrid amp to run the LCD3. Sounds quite spectacular. Amp only cost me about $500 to build and has plenty of power while also having the ability to roll tubes. Only reason I’ve got these up for sale is I’ve bought some Utopias. Really don’t know why I did this, I’m really happy with the LCD3.

Have you ever had your HD800 on a tube amp? I’ve sold a pair of HD800s recently which I was running off a tube amp. Sounded awesome, although the HD800s don’t have a enough bass presence for me. Other than that, I was happy with their sound.

Guest Benjet
[mention=258338]Benjet[/mention] is the dragon fly red worth getting? I’ve sitting on the idea for awhile.  

It’s good, although I don’t use mine that often. Once I swap from a iPhone to Samsung I’ll probably sell it.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Just moved to Brisbane.

I had a ten year hiatus from speakers (managed to survive on headphones :) but am in the process of putting together a speaker rig.

Look forward to connecting with you!

Guest Benjet
Hi guys

Just moved to Brisbane.

I had a ten year hiatus from speakers (managed to survive on headphones default_smile.png but am in the process of putting together a speaker rig.

Look forward to connecting with you!

What headphone rig did you end up with?

On 04/05/2018 at 9:20 PM, Benjet said:

What do you think of the PS1000?

I prefer to take this approach: identify the inherent signature/strengths of a headphone and amp pairing and leverage this for specific genres.

There is already plenty written on the PS1000, so I will limit myself to the sound whilst using a comparative approach. I find descriptions are more useful when there is a familiar frame of reference. I am not sure if you are familiar with the RS1, but in comparison, the PS1000 sound departs from it and the Grado house sound in some ways: a wider sound stage, more extended on both ends but with a U shape, mids less upfront (if you prefer a more upfront sound, this can be relatively alleviated with the right amp/tubes), more liquid (RS1 is grainy), more bass (but less slam). A good candidate for low volume listening, I find I can listen for hours without fatigue (paired with the MAD Ear+ HD). Whilst you can use it un-amped / with a lowly amp, it scales well. Overall the PS1000 is a fun can. All this however is moot as this is how I hear and feel about them. This might be different to how your ears hear or what sonic preferences you have. Ultimately, there is no substitute to your own listening :)  

A note on synergy - it matters. More so than most people realise or appreciate. As an example, you would be surprised that the PS1000 + a little amp costing <8% of the vaunted Pinnacle (US $10,000) can run circles around the latter.

On 17/03/2018 at 10:59 PM, Benjet said:

How much are you looking to spend? the lcd2 might be a good option, you can get them for under $1000. It depends on what sound you are chasing and what you are going to power them off. I’ve currently using a DIY hybrid amp to run the LCD3. Sounds quite spectacular. Amp only cost me about $500 to build and has plenty of power while also having the ability to roll tubes. Only reason I’ve got these up for sale is I’ve bought some Utopias. Really don’t know why I did this, I’m really happy with the LCD3.

Have you ever had your HD800 on a tube amp? I’ve sold a pair of HD800s recently which I was running off a tube amp. Sounded awesome, although the HD800s don’t have a enough bass presence for me. Other than that, I was happy with their sound.

HD800 synergises well with a P-1u. Anemic bass is no more.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Benjet
On 18/03/2018 at 7:03 AM, Sime said:

@Benjet is the dragon fly red worth getting? I’ve sitting on the idea for awhile.  

Hi Sime,

Just an update to my thoughts on the Dragonfly Red. Now that I'm using Roon 24/7, I'm finding that the MQA ability of the Dragonfly Red in coming in handy. For my mobile rig, I use the Red and some HD650. I'm really impressed with this combo. Think it moved to the keeper status.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I'm keen for a meet.

I have some decent gear..

Eddie current studio, abyss, code-x, hd800sdr, ragnarok, hd650.

Happy to bring it down if we can organise a decent venue for a meet.

Al

• Like 1

Great gear xecuter. Wish you guys are in Sydney. We have a meet in Sydney once a year for 3 years until the organiser move to Melbourne. The first year someone brought his Blue Hawaii and Stax SR-009 and 007. Last year there were Woo WA5, Focal Utopia and Abyss. Always keen to meet head-fi enthusiasts. 

I have Yggdrasil, Glenn's OTL amp, HD800 and LCD-2f.... plus a modified HD650.

Just sold off Ragnarok recently and just sold off Eikon and Atticus on the weekend.

Plans for the coming months is to have Glenn build me a transformer coupled amp based on the EL11 and EL12 Spez tubes. These are vintage tubes, predecessors of EL34. Had actually wanted him to build a 300b amp but I've opted for this tubes instead.

It will be similar to this but this uses EL3N. I prefer the Telefunken EL11 / EL12 Spez tubes.

B8A413FF-3380-47F4-8FA5-C9FB4CAA1A52 (2).jpeg

• Like 1

This is the Glenn's OTL amp that is currently running Tung Sol 12sn7gt black glass round plates and 6 x GE 6BX7gt tubes. Lots of tube options in this amp. In addition to using 6 x 6BX7 as power tubes, you can use 2 or 4 x 6AS7 or 5998, or 2 x Cetron 6336b tubes. For the driver, you can use a pair of c3g or a single 6sn7 or 12sn7 or 25sn7 (1633). A switch selects the correct voltage to 6.3, 12.6 or 25.2 volts.

This tube amp is the best I've heard of the HD800.

In this picture, it's running Sylvania 6sn7w metal base with 4 x Tung Sol 5998.

DSC_0015 (2).JPG

• Like 2