powerline network adapter upgrade - audible artifacts in hi efficiency active system

zog

I'm not sure if this is DIY section, computer section, or power / cables / electronics post, so I've plonked it here but it would fit elsewhere as well:

I have been using older TP-Link AV200 "powerline" adapters for some years with great success to provide network access to a few locations where it was difficult or inconvenient to do it with wifi - although slow, they have been fast enough for the purpose at hand, and much more reliable than wifi.

But the units have eventually failed after a few years, I think they run fairly hot despite their low power use, and perhaps in the garage on hot days they ran too hot which has accelerated their demise.

So I purchased some newer TP-Link AV600 units to replace them - and they work great, even faster speed.

BUT - I noticed a high pitched snarling, hissing sound in the left (but not so much right?) high frequency driver of my high efficiency, active crossover stereo system. The left tweeter is closest to the PC, although they are isolated from the playback system the cables do run close to the speaker wire. Unplugging the AV600 units and my system went back to its usual near silence.

I haven't done any problem solving or tried re-arranging things yet, just interesting to report this - though not surprising that a networking system that works by injecting a signal into the mains electricity causes such audible issues.

I did not have this issue with the older AV200 units. Or at least not audible to me.

Same TP link products here and same problem with my Devialet phantoms. I only get this high pitched alternating buzz when using the TT/phono stage which has an ADC unit with toslink out plugged into one of the phantoms. The ADC has a wall wart and I suspect this is the culprit. The other phantom has a Mac Mini digitally in and there is no high pitched noise in the background.  My phantoms are Ethernet not PLC connected to the Dialog but alas the noise is there when using the TT on higher volume.

I've had an issue lately which is possibly related to this. I have had Netcomm NP504 EoP adaptors in various locations which worked very well until we had a solar panel system installed a couple of years ago. The devices wouldn't synch, presumably due to more noise on the phase (we have three phase power btw). Replaced them with a pair of later model NP507, which seemed to work ok. Have not had any noise issues in the music system from mains or any other source before or after then until recently when I upgraded my turntable, including getting an aftermarket Nordost tonearm lead. When this was in place, it picked up a buzzing sound (wasn't an earthing problem) and when the original tonearm lead was reinstalled, the problem went away. The interference was definitely affected by whether I had an ethernet cable from the NP507 connected (which ran to various devices (Oppo BR, AppleTV, Mac Mini etc). So, it seems that the very expensive tone arm lead was also a very good antenna in this situation.  

Guest Muon N'

Used early ones and indeed they died often from heat issues, but I haven't any experience with the newer generations.

I wonder if this noise is related to DC on the mains *head scratch*

Just a passing thought.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, ngquan said:

Hi, i have tried the newer version AV1000 with similar issues ie static noise through the streamer.

Quan

Same here.  I stopped using them and now just route all via Wifi and its heaps better.  Just my 2 cents worth

I run TP-Link AV2000 they use the 3rd pin for the higher speeds, it might be worth stepping up to these. So Live, Neutral & Earth (I believe the lower speed ones only have 2 pins?)

However, I'm going to try disconnecting one next to the HiFi to see if I hear improvements.