Winno

Mobile phone digital transport options

I'm in the process of building a 9-channel, fully active audio system which uses a digital audio processor complete with cross overs, time alignment, and DAC for incoming digital sources. 

It's actually a car audio system.

Anyway, my main source will be an iPhone playing back stored cd-quality Tidal Hifi files. The signal will bypass any DAC and analogue audio in the phone and will get to my external processor/DAC via Lightning cable to Wyred4sound uLink USB bridge then optical cable into the processor. Essentially, my phone will be a transport only.

IMG_7970.thumb.JPG.2838e372bcd698e98d03f6906ac32b72.JPG

iPhone seems to top what's out there but this is after reviews comparing the DACs and analogue outputs of phones.

Has anyone a view they care to share regarding the quality of different phones as a transport only?

I ask because I am wondering if it'll be worth leaving iOS behind as it forces me to use add-on bits like the Apple camera connection kit and Lightning cables which are potential bottlenecks for sound quality due to the shortage of "audiophile" cable options.

Thanks for your help. 

I'm in the process of building a 9-channel, fully active audio system which uses a digital audio processor complete with cross overs, time alignment, and DAC for incoming digital sources. 
It's actually a car audio system.

Anyway, my main source will be an iPhone playing back stored cd-quality Tidal Hifi files. The signal will bypass any DAC and analogue audio in the phone and will get to my external processor/DAC via Lightning cable to Wyred4sound uLink USB bridge then optical cable into the processor. Essentially, my phone will be a transport only.

IMG_7970.thumb.JPG.2838e372bcd698e98d03f6906ac32b72.JPG

iPhone seems to top what's out there but this is after reviews comparing the DACs and analogue outputs of phones.
Has anyone a view they care to share regarding the quality of different phones as a transport only?

I ask because I am wondering if it'll be worth leaving iOS behind as it forces me to use add-on bits like the Apple camera connection kit and Lightning cables which are potential bottlenecks for sound quality due to the shortage of "audiophile" cable options.

Thanks for your help. 
100% worth leaving apple behind. Any phone with USB—C should work. My Moto Z Play has worked fantastically with many DACs without the need for drivers or software dramas.

Not sure about the 9 channel system if it is surround but if 2 channel it's a very good option especially in a car

I think the differences between iOS and Android that made me go Apple a few years ago are now largely minimised.

The thing that is frustrating for me is that Apple insist on keeping things locked up and companies are reluctant to pay the required $ to incorporate Apple chips, etc into their hardware for quality aftermarket products to work with its phones.

I wish, for example, I could find an alternative to my W4S converter that was iOS native so I didn't have to keep using the clunky and potentially SQ sapping camera connection kit. I run Audioquest cables for the rest of my sources in the car and would love to do the same between phone and processor.

Edited by Winno

I can’t hear a difference between my iPhone>Tidal>CCK (which seems to limit playback to 16 bit) and my MacBook Pro>Tidal>Audirvana, so I don’t have any concern that the CCK is holding things back. That’s with both running into a Schiit Eitr though.

Apple continually playing funny buggers is frustrating. Do you need mobile Internet? If not, the iPod is also an option, but it’s same old story - it needs to be a 6th gen to run IOS 11.