Sign in to follow this  
blybo

55" UHD LED TV for colleague $1000-$1500 budget

I haven't looked into TV tech much as I'm a projector user for all my critical viewing. Staff member is looking to replace an old cheap plasma which is giving up the ghost. He is not an audiophile or videophile. He doesn't even have home internet but plans to so wants smart capability.

I've seen Sony X70E or X7000E 55" models that on paper sound like they are fully up to date but can't see what is different between them, they look identical. Any others which are a stand out without breaking the budget?

Hisense is worth a serious look. 

14 minutes ago, frankn said:

aren't they an over priced "store" brand

19 minutes ago, frankn said:

+1.

I am not even close to being a TV expert, but my neighbour recently bought one of these and IMO it is outstandingly good value for the money.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/hisense/hisense-n5-65-4k-uhd-smart-led-lcd-tv/497721/

Edit: your over priced "store brand" is probably JB's "Sonique ".

Edited by rantan

Hisense is a stand alone brand. 

1 hour ago, rantan said:

+1.

I am not even close to being a TV expert, but my neighbour recently bought one of these and IMO it is outstandingly good value for the money.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/hisense/hisense-n5-65-4k-uhd-smart-led-lcd-tv/497721/

Here's a whole bunch of 55 inchers at JB Hi Fi

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/?p=1&s=releaseDate&sd=2&fc=*_sATTRIB-2138_s%3A%3AUltra HD%3B&fr=*_fATTRIB-2075_f%3A%3Aminvs%2455%3Dmaxvs%2455%3Dminvp%2422%3Dmaxvp%2485%3B&mf=*_sATTRIB-2138_s&fm=false

We recently helped an elderly neighbour out when her TV carked it.  She was looking for something small to fit into a given space.  We said check out Hisense and she ended up getting a 32" smart tv from Hardly Normal.  I set it up for her and I must admit I was impressed.  The construction was fairly flimsy but the sound wasn't bad and the picture was downright excellent given the low price of the unit.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I've seen Sony X70E or X7000E 55" models that on paper sound like they are fully up to date but can't see what is different between them, they look identical. Any others which are a stand out without breaking the budget?

They are :)  Check out the Hisense ; its direct lit when most are edge lit at this price point ..

TELEVISIONS

X70E | LED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Smart TV

X7000E Series

He bought a Sony from Costco

On 08/02/2018 at 3:18 PM, blybo said:

critical viewing.

I doubt many studios etc. use a projector for critical viewing as this would normally be on a professional monitor like the Sony Pro-OLED panels... good the associate of yours went with the Sony though instead of the Hisense, but the 7000 series can have some issues here and there.

JSmith :ninja:

+1.

Firstly. It’s Soniq. Secondly. Overpriced? Really? They may be a lot of things but overpriced isn’t one of them. [emoji16]

14 minutes ago, unclemack said:

Firstly. It’s Soniq. Secondly. Overpriced? Really? They may be a lot of things but overpriced isn’t one of them. emoji16.png

I did say I wasn't a TV expert and it was only a guess anyway as I couldn't think of another "store brand".

My apologies for not knowing.:(

I did say I wasn't a TV expert and it was only a guess anyway as I couldn't think of another "store brand".

My apologies for not knowing.[emoji20]

Ha ha. Didn’t mean to have a go. Just confused as these are among the cheapest tellys out there. As regards the spelling, well that’s just me being anal and not wanting anyone to confuse them with the very respected Aussie speaker brand. [emoji1419]

JB sales tend to come around.

I recall the 55” LG OLED B7 was like $1888 or something like that

That’s the one I’d go for.

I got the Sony X9000E for $1580 less 10% in gift vouchers just last week.

It's very good. OLED at that price unbeatable though

Edited by jutta