SNA just announced the new SP4 in the news.  Bryston has partnered up with Storm Audio for the digital part of the processor.

Based upon what storm audio is already offering we might get an idea about what the SP4 is going to be like.

https://www.stormaudio.com/en/products/av-immersive-sound-processors/7807-isp-3d16-elite.html

You can email James Tanner jamestanner@bryston.com  for a preliminary PDF of the SP4 as posted on audiocircle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155431.0

Looks like this is going to be an more expensive unit then the SP3 (which is going to coexist with the SP4), most likely absolutely out of reach for many of us.

A healthy portion of storm Al 'ide say ; considering Brystons aversion to auto room eq with the SP3 and now the SP4 has storms dirac live . And an upgrade path for more channels unlike bryston ; like storm..

Maybe this storm back panel with its extra 4 xlr's [as mentioned for the sp4] up the top will be an oem item for Bryston :) Its the 32 channel version so lose 16 to give an idea ..

I got StormAudio to agree to this: When 9.1.6 is available, the I.ISP (and other units in the line) will support it. Indeed, at CEDIA a 4 XLR upgrade was announced, so that their 16-channel pre/pro unit can be expanded to 20 channels. Long story short is more channels are gonna be a thing.

5a7b2b456189a_StormISP32rear.thumb.JPG.3e0784e1b28117bfc5708fae7625679e.JPG

On 08/02/2018 at 3:45 AM, cwt said:

A healthy portion of storm Al 'ide say ; considering Brystons aversion to auto room eq with the SP3 and now the SP4 has storms dirac live . And an upgrade path for more channels unlike bryston ; like storm..

Maybe this storm back panel with its extra 4 xlr's [as mentioned for the sp4] up the top will be an oem item for Bryston :) Its the 32 channel version so lose 16 to give an idea ..

5a7b2b456189a_StormISP32rear.thumb.JPG.3e0784e1b28117bfc5708fae7625679e.JPG

It will be based upon the 16 channel version with the 4 channel XLR as an update path. 

"The ISP 3D.20 ELITE is ideal for theaters that need more than 16 channels, for example those requiring multiple subwoofers or perhaps configured for all 3 Immersive Sound formats.
With 20 output channels and supporting all 3D audio formats, the ISP 3D.20 includes all the sophisticated control features that come with the ELITE Range."

I am just wondering what they mean by configuring for all Immersive sound formats. DTS-X doesn't seem to need any specific speaker arragement and Atmos vs Auro 3D seem the have similair specifications beside the Voice from God speaker. All should fit well into 16.2 channels. And I assume here, that for large and custom theatre rooms the 32 channel version is more suitable.

Time will tell where the digital Storm part ends, and where the Analogue Bryston part starts. The DAC section will most likely be the cross-over point. I like the Bryston sound and would prefer Bryston to do the DAC part.

26 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

It will be based upon the 16 channel version with the 4 channel XLR as an update path. 

"The ISP 3D.20 ELITE is ideal for theaters that need more than 16 channels, for example those requiring multiple subwoofers or perhaps configured for all 3 Immersive Sound formats.
With 20 output channels and supporting all 3D audio formats, the ISP 3D.20 includes all the sophisticated control features that come with the ELITE Range."

I am just wondering what they mean by configuring for all Immersive sound formats. DTS-X doesn't seem to need any specific speaker arragement and Atmos vs Auro 3D seem the have similair specifications beside the Voice from God speaker. All should fit well into 16.2 channels. And I assume here, that for large and custom theatre rooms the 32 channel version is more suitable..

Yes ; the picture was just an indication how big 3ru is and where the 16ch may reside . 3ru was chosen for future channel upgrades I suspect.. starting with just 4 .

I am just wondering what they mean by configuring for all Immersive sound formats.

Maybe its shorthand for the different options that are possible ie 7.1.4 ; 9.1.2  or 9.1.6 with the extra 4 xlr's ? When Emo announced 9.1.6 there was speculation the extra channels were matrixed not discrete ;now a lot of Ce's say discrete is possible too.

Time will tell where the digital Storm part ends, and where the Analogue Bryston part starts.

Ide expect Bryston would include their state of the art analog stage and psu isolation like they did in the SP3 ;also a collaboration ; so would agree.

The SP3 will feature ultimate performance Class A discrete analog circuits and isolated dual power supplies, one each for the digital and analog sections of the device.

Thinking James Tanner would never allow another situation like oppo had with lexicon so Bryston will have input :)

• 2 weeks later...

JT has made posted comments of the SP3 vs SP4: 

The SP4 is going to be much more expensive than the SP3 and unless you need all these new features there is no need to move from the SP3”

”...the sound quality will be similar.”

• 1 year later...