Hey Guys,

I've been running a Parasound P5/A21 combo along with a pair of Focal Aria 936's and a pair of Adelaide Speakers 10" subs, I recently got hold of a pair of Parasound JC1's however due to other reasons I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them.

Talking to another member about this the other day and he thinks I should at least trial a better pre amp before I make a rash and uninformed decision.

So what I would like to ask you kind people is if there is anyone in the Brissy area (I'm Southside) that would be willing to trial their pre in my system so I can get an idea in house.

Ideally a JC2 would be the logical fit, however I'm open to all and as said member suggested a valve pre may also be a good option.

So far just the addition of the JC1's has transformed the 936's and has virtually rendered the subs redundant, the Arias really have outstanding dynamic range for their price range.

So I'd be interested to hear what a higher end pre contributes to the setup and if I'm making the right choice .......and just to add the P5 actually sounds quite good for a Swiss army knife pre.... but that's my subjective opinion.

I'm using an OPPO 205 for CD/Streaming duties (OPPO's DAC) and balanced connections all the way through.

I'll happily supply beer/wine nibbles etc

Thanks

Jason

IMHO the JC1s deserve a better speaker than the 936s.

I recently listened to a pair of Focal Sopra2s. See https://www.queenslandaudio.club/2017-october?lightbox=dataItem-j8s8ddyq

I myself have a pair of older passive SGRs that feature the 13inch bass driver from the Focal Utopia.

I've been running a P3/A21 combo.

I recently replaced the P3 with a Sim Moon Audio P5.

I would also suggest a better stand-alone Dac than using the one in the Oppo 205.

cheers,

Andrew

I recently replaced my P3 with a 2nd hand ARC ls-15, I like valves up front in front of the Parasound amp, then onto demanding hybrid ribbons (Roche and Ambience).  Improved the sound, smoother all round.

What aspect of the sound are you trying to improve?  Smoother, less edge, better imaging, less bass etc ?  Ie what make you think the current system is bad?

I recently replaced my P3 with a 2nd hand ARC ls-15, I like valves up front in front of the Parasound amp, then onto demanding hybrid ribbons (Roche and Ambience).  Improved the sound, smoother all round.
Which amp are you using Rosco?

What aspect of the sound are you trying to improve?  Smoother, less edge, better imaging, less bass etc ?  Ie what make you think the current system is bad?
Hi Steam, I think the P5 is a little brash, and yes I think you summed up pretty well what I would be looking for although I'm happy with the bass....depth is the word that keeps coming to mind.

Cheers
Jason

HCA-1500a .. model before the Halo series so before the A21, also a John Curl design and has been in use here for nearly 20 years driving 3 different sets of ribbons ... robust amp .. however since the end of January they have transitioned to become my secondary system.  A nice system which my wife is using in our lounge room, for what she needs I swapped the P3 back in and have the ARC as my valve backup pre.  So I started with a 2nd hand power amp and one thing lead to another trying to get the most out of every purchase, became a mission all consuming but every purchase was a step in the right direction !!!!   My primary system is almost settled now ... a Cayin DAC which is nice, (but I have commissioned a Giesler Grob after reading all the reviews here),  Ayon Auris pre which is a beautiful bit of kit and came from the same guy who sold me his power amp, the Byrston 4bsst power amp which is a powerful and fairly neutral box and does a fine job, and finally my last acquisition which was a set of Dynaudio Confidence Platinum C2's advertised here a couple of weeks ago which are awesome and match extremely well with my other components.  Good luck with your journey.  Borrowing is a great idea, something I should have done !!!

Edited by Rosco8

HCA-1500a .. model before the Halo series so before the A21, also a John Curl design and has been in use here for nearly 20 years driving 3 different sets of ribbons ... robust amp .. however since the end of January they have transitioned to become my secondary system.  A nice system which my wife is using in our lounge room, for what she needs I swapped the P3 back in and have the ARC as my valve backup pre.  So I started with a 2nd hand power amp and one thing lead to another trying to get the most out of every purchase, became a mission all consuming but every purchase was a step in the right direction !!!!   My primary system is almost settled now ... a Cayin DAC which is nice, (but I have commissioned a Giesler Grob after reading all the reviews here),  Ayon Auris pre which is a beautiful bit of kit and came from the same guy who sold me his power amp, the Byrston 4bsst power amp which is a powerful and fairly neutral box and does a fine job, and finally my last acquisition which was a set of Dynaudio Confidence Platinum C2's advertised here a couple of weeks ago which are awesome and match extremely well with my other components.  Good luck with your journey.  Borrowing is a great idea, something I should have done !!!
Sounds like a fun and finally rewarding journey, the Parasound gear is great and the JC1'S are a whole lot of amp, if I decide to keep them they definitely deserve a better pre...

How did you go @Gambit 1870?

I am toying with the idea that a valve pre might make my horrible recordings a bit better.

I do love the amazing bass my JC2 delivers though.

Nice Audio Research in the classifieds at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

How did you go @Gambit 1870?

I am toying with the idea that a valve pre might make my horrible recordings a bit better.

I do love the amazing bass my JC2 delivers though.

Nice Audio Research in the classifieds at the moment.

Don’t do it Daz, I think a valve pre would only give you a different flavour of the bad recordings. You live in the CD/digital sphere, you should try vinyl, you would really have to deal with really bad recordings, mainly bad mixes though.

A highly resolving system will always emphasise bad recordings, I think it is something you just have to live with, or go back to low fi, your choice 😁

Don’t do it Daz, I think a valve pre would only give you a different flavour of the bad recordings. You live in the CD/digital sphere, you should try vinyl, you would really have to deal with really bad recordings, mainly bad mixes though.
A highly resolving system will always emphasise bad recordings, I think it is something you just have to live with, or go back to low fi, your choice 
In my experience the equipment I've been most pleased by adding into my system ended up improving the sound of ALL my recordings. Taking some recordings only is bound to worsen others. I disagree that a valve preamp would be a bad idea - provided you get one that makes everything sound better, not just your bad source material.

Jason,

Don't laugh......... but have you tried listening with your OPPO 205 connected DIRECT into your Parasounds?

I took my well regarded ME 24 pre out of the system after hearing my OPPO 205 DIRECT into my active ATC's.

Sometimes less...........can be more...........just a thought.:)

1 hour ago, JohnL said:

Jason,

Don't laugh......... but have you tried listening with your OPPO 205 connected DIRECT into your Parasounds?

I took my well regarded ME 24 pre out of the system after hearing my OPPO 205 DIRECT into my active ATC's.

Sometimes less...........can be more...........just a thought.:)

Yes shorter signal paths, can be very rewarding , however you may need some form of variable attenuation - which may or may not be available if just connecting direct.

5 minutes ago, stereo coffee said:

Yes shorter signal paths, can be very rewarding , however you may need some form of variable attenuation - which may or may not be available if just connecting direct.

The OPPO 205 is the same as the 105 with variable attenuation via the ESS chip.  32bit attenuation,   There are losses as your attenuation increases despite what Mark Mallisons claim what the ESS can do in theory.

On 31/05/2018 at 8:29 PM, Ittaku said:
On 31/05/2018 at 8:17 PM, awayward said:
A highly resolving system will always emphasise bad recordings, I think it is something you just have to live with, or go back to low fi, your choice emoji16.png

In my experience the equipment I've been most pleased by adding into my system ended up improving the sound of ALL my recordings. Taking some recordings only is bound to worsen others. I disagree that a valve preamp would be a bad idea - provided you get one that makes everything sound better, not just your bad source material.

Correct. There are a number of very fine, accurate valve preamps available, though they do tend to be expensive. Like ALL good preamps, they ruthlessly expose poor quality source material. GIGO.

It might be worth borrowing (if u can) , a Schiit Freya preamp as a sanity test.

I am 'very' happy to be running one in front of a Sanders Magtech or a Jadis valve. The valve buffer stage in the pre makes a difference to the solid state Magtech.