wooferocau

Oppo 203 HDR Tone Mapping.

Hi,

I'm new to the 4k HDR world, and just updated my theatre room. I have a UDP-203 hooked up to a JVC X9500 projector with about 50 hours on the lamp and run through a crystalmorphic lens. 

Screen is 3m wide 2.35:1 with 1.2 gain and pj throw is about 4m which is pretty much the limit.

I'm a little confused with some of the settings and hoping I can get some starting points/tips.

The PJ is calibrated other than brightness and contrast with the Spears and Munsil disc.

I'm looking to setup user1 = SDR (bluray) and user2=HDR 4K on the projector. and I'd really appreciate some help on starting point settings, especially on HDR4K as it seems more difficult to calibrate.

On the Oppo I have

HDR - strip metadata, mode 2 and 400nits (maybe too high?)

Custom resolution UHD Auto

Colour space 4:2:2

Not sure if there is anything else I should set, but left everything else on auto.

Projector 

Picture mode - HDR 

Color Profile - BT2020

Color Temp - HDR

Gamma - HDR ST.2084

Lamp Power - High

Lens Aperture - Auto 1

Input Level - Enhanced

Color Space - Auto

Watching Baby Driver last night I could tell the black level was too high, bright scenes look pretty bright though and I could feel my eyes squinting when the car headlights pointed at the camera during the night time driving scene at the end of the movie. 

Regards

Jamie

22 minutes ago, wilsonj said:

I'm new to the 4k HDR world, and just updated my theatre room. I have a UDP-203 hooked up to a JVC X9500 projector with about 50 hours on the lamp and run through a crystalmorphic lens. 

Screen is 3m wide 2.35:1 with 1.2 gain and pj throw is about 4m which is pretty much the limit.

have you done any basic setup on it ? colour contrast, brightness ? output(limit iris) ? or just running out of box ? 

1 hour ago, :) al said:

have you done any basic setup on it ? colour contrast, brightness ? output(limit iris) ? or just running out of box ? 

Just the brightness and contrast from S&M DVD.

I have an eye one display pro but calman doesn't seem to want to detect it, so I'd need to buy new cal software, or use something like HCF free option. Just not sure how much help that will be with HDR content.

7 hours ago, wilsonj said:

Not sure if there is anything else I should set, but left everything else on auto.

Projector 

Picture mode - HDR 

Color Profile - BT2020

Color Temp - HDR

Gamma - HDR ST.2084

Lamp Power - High

Lens Aperture - Auto 1

Input Level - Enhanced

Color Space - Auto

Watching Baby Driver last night I could tell the black level was too high, bright scenes look pretty bright though and I could feel my eyes squinting when the car headlights pointed at the camera during the night time driving scene at the end of the movie. 

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Do you really mean "Strip Metadata" or do you mean "HDR-Off "---> BT2020? You really want BT2020 because Strip Metadata raises the black floor .

Also, definitely set your Input to Standard, not Enhanced ( Enhanced is only for use with PC signals with a Dynamic range of 0 - 255, whereas Standard is for Video signals with a dynamic range of 16 - 235 ).

8 hours ago, wilsonj said:

Hi,

I'm a little confused with some of the settings and hoping I can get some starting points/tips.

The PJ is calibrated other than brightness and contrast with the Spears and Munsil disc.

I'm looking to setup user1 = SDR (bluray) and user2=HDR 4K on the projector. and I'd really appreciate some help on starting point settings, especially on HDR4K as it seems more difficult to calibrate.

On the Oppo I have

Projector 

Picture mode - HDR 

Color Profile - BT2020

Color Temp - HDR

Gamma - HDR ST.2084

Lamp Power - High

Lens Aperture - Auto 1

Input Level - Enhanced

Color Space - Auto

Regards

Jamie

If you are using the HDR Off/BT2020  on the Oppo you will want to select a Gamma of 2.4 on the X9500  ........NOT HDR ST.2020 Gamma..

INPUT LEVEL... Standard..

7 hours ago, wilsonj said:

Just the brightness and contrast from S&M DVD.

I have an eye one display pro but calman doesn't seem to want to detect it, so I'd need to buy new cal software, or use something like HCF free option. Just not sure how much help that will be with HDR content.

please buy a light meter to set iris output. ie 12-14FL for SDR and 30 FL for HDR. absolutely ESSENTIAL to be setting this :)

15 hours ago, wooferocau said:

If you are using the HDR Off/BT2020  on the Oppo you will want to select a Gamma of 2.4 on the X9500  ........NOT HDR ST.2020 Gamma..

INPUT LEVEL... Standard..

OK thanks, will do.

Why is it though that I can't see the required bars to set brightness and contrast on the SM disk in anything other than enhanced mode ?

15 hours ago, :) al said:

please buy a light meter to set iris output. ie 12-14FL for SDR and 30 FL for HDR. absolutely ESSENTIAL to be setting this :)

OK will do. Any suggestions ? There are a plethora available on ebay....

Thanks.

2 hours ago, wilsonj said:

OK will do. Any suggestions ? There are a plethora available on ebay....

Thanks.

lot of trash on eBay, you can buy a good quality one locally and relatively affordably :)

3 hours ago, wilsonj said:

OK thanks, will do.

Why is it though that I can't see the required bars to set brightness and contrast on the SM disk in anything other than enhanced mode ?

That sometime happens..

Set INPUT level to SUPERWHITE.    You WILL NEED to set your white level to 235 as SUPERWHITE  will push it all the way  to 255.   if you use SUPERWHITE and set your level to clip at 235 you WILL NOT lose any brightness as compared to using INPUT STANDARD.

So this new tone mapping feature is only of any use if you want to convert HDR to SDR because your TV or Projector doesn't support HDR?

4 hours ago, duke said:

So this new tone mapping feature is only of any use if you want to convert HDR to SDR because your TV or Projector doesn't support HDR?

??

Did you read the short(ish) summation I wrote earler ?

Sigh.???

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, duke said:

Sometimes its easy to miss earlier posts so the summary @IMDave referred to is here

Edited by Tasso

Picked this up today. 
Is this is my first time seeing Dolby Vision? I thought Blade Runner 2049 was Dolby Vision as it is credited as such on the back of the cover. 

Anyway, a couple of things I found tonight and didn't think warranted a new topic or thread. 
1. This title glitched heaps whilst trying to sync/handshake. 
2. The OPPO 21:9 mode does not work with this disc. Lucky for me, my projector did scale for CIH using the letter box mode.  I guess anyone who owns a true 4K SONY is screwed as they don't scale with UHD period.   
3. Even thought the meta data shows frame rate of 23.97, the out put of the OPPO is locked at 1080/60P on my setup. What was really odd here was how smooth the image looked. None of the usual 3/2 pull down nastiness I would get with a BD if 24fps was turned off. 

Anyone else got this yet? 

feb06c4d116614b1fb0d56b5d9c381bc.jpg

11 hours ago, CAVX said:

Picked this up today. 
Is this is my first time seeing Dolby Vision? I thought Blade Runner 2049 was Dolby Vision as it is credited as such on the back of the cover. 

Anyway, a couple of things I found tonight and didn't think warranted a new topic or thread. 
1. This title glitched heaps whilst trying to sync/handshake. 
3. Even thought the meta data shows frame rate of 23.97, the out put of the OPPO is locked at 1080/60P on my setup. What was really odd here was how smooth the image looked. None of the usual 3/2 pull down nastiness I would get with a BD if 24fps was turned off. 

Anyone else got this yet? 

Are you feeding the UHD  through an avr Mark ? For it to be dolby vision it must be hdmi2.0a or.b and have likely gotten a firmware upgrade for it . If going straight to the dlp you need hdmi 2.0a 18gbps ports on it for HDR10 . Dolby vision in this case is embedded in the video signal ; not piggybacked as metadata so theoretically can be handled by hdmi 1.4 

3. This release couldn't be another 60fs like Billy Lynne could it ; guessing ..

On 3/22/2018 at 8:02 PM, IMDave said:

??

Did you read the short(ish) summation I wrote earler ?

Sigh.???

Where can I find that?

2 minutes ago, duke said:

Where can I find that?

No worries. Tasso gave you the link in the post after mine, but you can find it on page two of this thread.

21 hours ago, cwt said:

Are you feeding the UHD  through an avr Mark ? For it to be dolby vision it must be hdmi2.0a or.b and have likely gotten a firmware upgrade for it . If going straight to the dlp you need hdmi 2.0a 18gbps ports on it for HDR10 . Dolby vision in this case is embedded in the video signal ; not piggybacked as metadata so theoretically can be handled by hdmi 1.4 

3. This release couldn't be another 60fs like Billy Lynne could it ; guessing ..

My system is old, so it has to be stripping away a heap to make it work.  And in fact, I am surprised it working at all.    

The info key shows disc data as FPS 23.97  Colour Space DOLBY VISION

Scroll down and output shows 1080/60P, REC709

And yes, it currently passing through the AVR which is still (cough) HDMI 1.3.  I was hoping to upgrade to a 2.0 ATMOS decoder this year.  May not happen yet.  

I did for a time, run the HDMI port 1 out of my 103 OPPO directly into the projector so that should I upgrade that, it would be a case changing out the projector only.  
I went back to running through the AVR as I was not able to see on screen menues form the AVR.  

When the OPPO 203 went in, I used their lead as well.  Not that it would make a difference with the rest of the gear I have.   I have got a great price on  the BenQW1700, so will probably have to go split AV for that.  Just not sure about the throw ratio.  No lens shift and the off set means I need to raise the projector.  Not a problem with my set up.  Whilst a JVC would rock in my room, it is out of the allowed budget for now.    

6 hours ago, CAVX said:

My system is old, so it has to be stripping away a heap to make it work.  And in fact, I am surprised it working at all.    

The info key shows disc data as FPS 23.97  Colour Space DOLBY VISION

Scroll down and output shows 1080/60P, REC709

Dolby was very clever with how DV was passed over hdmi Mark but Ime doubtful about your avr . It needs a special SDK from dolby from all I read . HDR10 is more restrictive again needing hdmi2.0a so the sooner you go split av hdmi the better :cool: 

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/how-do-i-know-which-hdr-formats-my-receiver-supports

Dolby was very clever with how DV was passed over hdmi Mark but Ime doubtful about your avr . It needs a special SDK from dolby from all I read . HDR10 is more restrictive again needing hdmi2.0a so the sooner you go split av hdmi the better :cool: 
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/how-do-i-know-which-hdr-formats-my-receiver-supports
We REALLY NEED Dolby Vision test patterns. All the tone mapping magic of the OPPO is locked out by DV.
When I watched the new Star Wars movie using my HDR-10 settings, I was not blown away. So tonight I copied those setting to a new user profile and then pushed up brightness and contrast as high as I could whilst keeping the black floor as dark as I could and avoiding white crush. WOW what a difference.
The problem is that I only had the black of space agsinst the black letter box bar as a brightness test pattern and I used lights and other bright white parts agsinst white walls as a contrast pattern. Not reference by any means.

Now I feel that all the colours need their Y value recaled as well. 8955b17d002e05011d37776a6d470f96.jpg

I tested out Oppo 205 with the LG C7 - Dolby Vision reported and colors looked good.

Then on my main system - Oppo 203 with the Sony 760ES projector - and there seems to be a red push 

I tested out Oppo 205 with the LG C7 - Dolby Vision reported and colors looked good.

Then on my main system - Oppo 203 with the Sony 760ES projector - and there seems to be a red push 

What mode on the SONY? I calibrated a 520 today and got a very good result. This same projector was delivering shocking red push with HDR content prior.

Posted (edited)

Oppo was on HDR Tone Mapping Mode 2 (for both C7 and 760ES). Was using Cinema I believe on the Sony - which is what I have been using for all my HDR content up to this point.

The Oppo on the C7 was mapping to 800 nits I think, while the Sony was set to 500 nits. 

The Oppo 205 goes direct to the C7. The 203 goes through a Marantz AV8802A with the Dolby Vision firmware update. The Sony 760ES of course does not have Dolby Vision support. 

Edited by DoggieHowser

On 25/03/2018 at 11:59 PM, CAVX said:

2. The OPPO 21:9 mode does not work with this disc. Lucky for me, my projector did scale for CIH using the letter box mode.  I guess anyone who owns a true 4K SONY is screwed as they don't scale with UHD period.   

How does one find this letterbox mode for 2.35:1 viewing on a JVC X5500. 

On 11/04/2018 at 5:33 PM, Honey Badger said:

How does one find this letterbox mode for 2.35:1 viewing on a JVC X5500. 

It is called anamorphic on a JVC.