Jump to content

wooferocau

Oppo 203 HDR Tone Mapping.

Recommended Posts

I'm having trouble avoiding the lure of Mode 2. It's a sickness...

 

It's just looks so good until you come across one of these sky shots that quite honestly all of the modes mangle a bit unless you really increase the nits slider beyond what a projector can handle. 

 

I'm fine with the compromise. It's just a beta after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I did chase my tail a bit this weekend pursuing good results in scenes that are probably extreme cases.  I tried to capture all the highlight detail I could without losing too much brightness before doing some direct comparisons with Blu-ray and realising Blu-ray clips most of the highlight detail too. 

 

And I'm still seeing some very dark scenes that are too dark. 

 

On the bright side... literally...during a brief test Arrival is now watchable if I put the nits slider all the way down to 50!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if SDR BT2020 tone mapping will work with an Epson LS10000 (no HDR BT2020 but DCI P3 color)?

 

This will make those LS10000s a bargain if it did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Does anyone know if SDR BT2020 tone mapping will work with an Epson LS10000 (no HDR BT2020 but DCI P3 color)?

 

This will make those LS10000s a bargain if it did

I read that the LS10500 ( current model)  does  SDR BT2020  but not sure about LS10000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoggieHowser said:

Does anyone know if SDR BT2020 tone mapping will work with an Epson LS10000 (no HDR BT2020 but DCI P3 color)?

 

This will make those LS10000s a bargain if it did

Nice thought . Just need a hd fury linker etc to strip the HDR :) If using that method rather than the oppo ? 

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2657593-epson-ls10000-any-point-buying-uhd-player.html#post48567073

Edited by cwt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cwt said:

Nice thought . Just need a hd fury linker etc to strip the HDR :) If using that method rather than the oppo ? 

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2657593-epson-ls10000-any-point-buying-uhd-player.html#post48567073

 

Stripping out HDR is only one part of the solution - it is the tone mapping of HDR to SDR on the 203/5 that is what makes it so impressive. 

 

1 hour ago, Tasso said:

I read that the LS10500 ( current model)  does  SDR BT2020  but not sure about LS10000

 

Yes I know that one does - but just curious what could be done for the older unit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

...it is the tone mapping of HDR to SDR on the 203/5 that is what makes it so impressive.

I wonder how it compares to tone-mapping via MadVR which is a GPU based renderer available only on Microsoft Windows. I'm yet to try it.

Edited by Satanica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I wonder how it compares to tone-mapping via MadVR which is a GPU based renderer available only on Microsoft Windows. I'm yet to try it.

@Javs has all but given up on Tone Mapping using MadVR...  and he has been working directly with the creator of MadVR..:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

@Javs has all but given up on Tone Mapping using MadVR...  and he has been working directly with the creator of MadVR..:)

Hmmm, that doesn't really tell me anything. :)

EDIT: But thanks for dobbing Javs in. :thumb:

Edited by Satanica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm, that doesn't really tell me anything.
You end up with a colour gamut much smaller than p3 right now, it's not working with highlights properly it turns them white.

Its no good right now. With a bit of work it will get better which is what we are hoping to do. But it's tough to get things across to madshi at times.

I've given up for now, I provided a lot of solid photos and feedback on an avs thread perhaps woofer can link since I'm out right now.

HDR curves look way better on my JVC anyway. And the saturation in highlights i.e. explosions, has correct colour on my Samsung uhd tv and my JVC when I use real HDR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Javs said:

 perhaps woofer can link since I'm out right now.

HDR curves look way better on my JVC anyway. And the saturation in highlights i.e. explosions, has correct colour on my Samsung uhd tv and my JVC when I use real HDR.

@Javs custom curves look "Excellent" on my Z1/RS4500  :) MUCH MUCH better than any amount of tweaking the default HDR profile with the standard controls.

 

I have been doing alot of comparisons with @Javs curves and the Oppo,s Tone Mapping.....both are Excellent . Each has its own small benefits over the other. 

 

This is a link to the MadVR Tone mapping Thread on AVS......take a GOOD look at the pictures/Examples that @Javs posted..         

 

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2954506-improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2018 at 9:40 PM, :) al said:

thanks for the nutshell dave, as in typically manni fashion theres a lot there he has posted but nothing specific he helps with. its a kind of heres a nibble you figure out the rest because I have :D 

 

so not sure if can help but any thoughts ? what preset do we put our x7000 into.

 

do I leave it in my uhd preset. or simply r709 calibrated pre set ?. 

 

or am wondering if I need to create a new preset, leave in bt2020 but without gamma D ? would i re calibrate re do the clipping point fro contrast and brightness or leave as is. a bit confused to be honest ! 

haha so apt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×