Sign in to follow this  
elvis..

Should i get a av with my Oppo 105

At the moment im running  my oppo 105 straight to a 7 channel amp via analog and hdmi out straight to my projector, using the oppo as a pre/av.

Will there be better benifits if i get a decent av/pre connecting my oppo?.

I do realise that oppo does have a good dac in stereo and multi analog

out, but if i do get a avr wont it defeat the purpose of getting a good player? 

The 105 provides better video and audio than basic players. (I am assuming we are talking about blu ray, not 4k, and not Atmos).

For video, the 105 is probably better than entry & many mid level AVRs. Top AVRs, Pre-Pros will likely have better video processing.

For 2 channel audio, the 105 will beat many AVRs, maybe even a few pre-pros.

However, for multi channel audio, it will struggle against newer mid AVRs, pre-pros because they have better multi channel DACs. Plus AVRs, pre-pros have better bass management and room correction. The 105 has basic capability. 

So, if you are after better movie audio, suggest getting a decent AVR or a pre-pro.

Cheers mate..

Yeah for now il stick with standard HD av. Any recommendation on a avr? Not looking for a 4k av at the moment.

Il use hdmi out straight to av and stereo analog out straight to a power amp would that be a better option?  

Edited by elvis..

30 minutes ago, elvis.. said:

Cheers mate..

Yeah for now il stick with standard HD av. Any recommendation on a avr? Not looking for a 4k av at the moment.

Il use hdmi out straight to av and stereo analog out straight to a power amp would that be a better option?  

You will be wasting the AVR amps, but pre-pros tend to be more expensive. What is your budget?

Am using Anthem MRX 710 and like Anthem Room Correction. Given you are looking for standard HD and no Atmos, a second hand unit may be enough? For future proofing, a MRX 720 or AVM 60 (budget permitting).

Note that there is a SNA promotion for Anthem which ends today!!!

Correct, connect 105 using hdmi to AVR/pre-pro, then use the pre-outs to your power amp.

Nice write upp. Iv always thought about Anthem. But for the mean time il prefer something 2nd hand and not to expensive as il wait for 4k to really kick in as my brand new projector is only 1080p . Once i start buying 4k gear player projector than il look into a newer av with 4k equip..anthem maybe a option in the future

Get a second hand AVR with good room correction eg. Dirac, Audyssey Pro (Denon, Marantz), Anthem. While there are many Yamaha fans here, YPAO is more limited.

Snoopy. Iv managed to find i integra 80.1 for a good price would this be a good option paring with my opp 105? Im not to familar with integra but i do no there good. 

The integra 80.x series is highly regarded and at the asking price if Its the one in the classifieds would be a great addition to you gear with plenty of tweaking options, assuming it ages well. That said it would probably work best using hdmi inputs which almost makes your 105 overkill given you wouldn't be using the inbuilt dacs of the 105. 

For AV a basic bluray player running digital out into a high end pre-pro like the 80.1 will deliver a much better surround experience than a high end bluray via analogue.

5 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

For AV a basic bluray player running digital out into a high end pre-pro like the 80.1 will deliver a much better surround experience than a high end bluray via analogue.

Yes, agreed.  I prefer digital over analogue for movies and tv shows, but analogue interconnects for two channel.

21 hours ago, elvis.. said:

Snoopy. Iv managed to find i integra 80.1 for a good price would this be a good option paring with my opp 105? Im not to familar with integra but i do no there good. 

Read good things about the Integra 80.1. Audyssey is not the Pro version (not sure you can upgrade?) but it is a good start. You can even use your Oppo 105 XLR outputs for 2 channel into the Integra.

12 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Read good things about the Integra 80.1. Audyssey is not the Pro version (not sure you can upgrade?) but it is a good start. You can even use your Oppo 105 XLR outputs for 2 channel into the Integra.

I don't believe so, it has to be enabled at the time it leaves the factory.  I have the pro-kit and I look for compatibility in the specs, otherwise I won't purchase.

I do have another bluray player sony 6700 i can hook it up to and use the oppo for 2 chanell straight to 2 monos. 

So guys think using hdmi will be better for movies using my 6700 straight to 80.1, and let the pre pro do all the work? If i do use the 6700 hooked to the pre which video processor will be getting used.. 6700 or the pre? Or do i have to change the settings in the 6700 to let the pre do all the work

Edited by elvis..

1 hour ago, elvis.. said:

I do have another bluray player sony 6700 i can hook it up to and use the oppo for 2 chanell straight to 2 monos. 

So guys think using hdmi will be better for movies using my 6700 straight to 80.1, and let the pre pro do all the work? If i do use the 6700 hooked to the pre which video processor will be getting used.. 6700 or the pre? Or do i have to change the settings in the 6700 to let the pre do all the work

When you use hdmi, all the heavy lifting for video and audio is done in the pre-pro. The 6700 has only 1 hdmi output, so you have no choice here. 105 has 2 hdmi outs.

Suggest you compare video out from Oppo vs Integra & decide whether you can dedicate the Oppo for 2 channel.

6700 and pre together.

And 105 only for 2 channel listening/ no vodeo just 2 channel which will be hooked up on a different amp.

Il play with 6700 n 105 tonight and compare the video quality straight to my projector

46 minutes ago, elvis.. said:

6700 and pre together.

And 105 only for 2 channel listening/ no vodeo just 2 channel which will be hooked up on a different amp.

Il play with 6700 n 105 tonight and compare the video quality straight to my projector

Comparing the 6700 & 105 video is a nice theoretical exercise, but how does that help with your original question?  

6 hours ago, elvis.. said:

6700 and pre together.

Elvis ; one important thing with video quality is the projectors deinterlacing'; scaling to whatever it prefers whether component or rgb . The video processing in your projector is customised to its circuitry and as you can imagine compares very well to a  chipset in a pre pro which is just duplication..

I would take advantage of your 105's source direct out _ which gives a pure unaltered signal of whats on the disc ; unlike the sony which may alter colour space or similar like many ; set the integra to passthough and let your projector  process the signal..

As an alternative let your oppo use its qdeo processing to upscale ; it does a good job with low bandwidth compressed sources like mp4 files..

It costs money to have a clean passthrough and when you have circuitry trying to convert analog to digital it doesn't help . Theres good reason datasat; trinnov and even emotiva only have a clean passthrough with no superfluous processing.. 

Cheers guys had a good play last night with my oppo and im happy with it and il skip the pre pro. Played with more of the settings and the oppo just got better lol. 

Edited by elvis..

6 hours ago, elvis.. said:

Cheers guys had a good play last night with my oppo and im happy with it and il skip the pre pro. Played with more of the settings and the oppo just got better lol. 

Those 2 hdmi ins on the oppo will help and if you need some room eq a subwoofer with built in peq is the ticket :thumb: