Integrated amp for Legend Kantu 9

Hi all, just wondering those with wealth of knowledge what Premium amps would suit.

Have Parasound P3/A23 combo (no issues), just thinking long term, end game amp for these magnificent speakers. Rod Crawford (designer/maker) promotes the Redgum brand at shows,

however, not a fan of dual volume controls.  Have Marantz SA8005 SACD, Rega RP3 w/- Groovetracer mods, 2MBronze, Lounge Audio Phono stage, Rega TTPSU, Chord Signature Interconnects, Audio Principe speaker and power cables. Don't require usb/dac requirements, just dedicated 2 channel amp.  Kantu 9's like a lot of current as stated by Rod.  Would this future upgrade be of any significant sonic progression or a sideways move ? (going from separates to integrated) Some forums in the US don't rate Parasound gear, only JC (John Curl) prefix models.  Or, wait until Anthony Holton releases his own integrated and have it built without a DAC etc....now there's  a thought !!  Thanks, Matt

2 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

.  Or, wait until Anthony Holton releases his own integrated and have it built without a DAC etc....now there's  a thought !!  Thanks, Matt

A good thought indeed. I think that will be a great match up and being both Australian products with active participation on this form by both designers is a win-win.

• Like 2

Matt, heard some Kantu 9's  last week with a Primare I22 at a friends house.

Rod Crawford has hit one out of the park with this latest version.

Endgame speakers for a music lover, what a sound stage.

Under $5000 a pair, a ridiculous bargain.

The Holton amps have superior build quality so would also certainly qualify as end game. 

Be very surprised if his new Integrated isn't about it as good as it gets.

• Like 2

@rantan cheers mate. 

Yes, Legend speakers require amps that produce decent current so choose the amps wisely.  I’ve had Legend in the house since 2002 and have run them beautifully with ME pre-power and integrated (known for their current delivery).  However, they are not the only brand capable of driving these speakers.  (I’m just an ME fanboi and had to mention them). 

I don’t have experience with Holton or Parasound so can’t comment.  It’s absolutely imperative that you try them together first before outlaying any money.  Personally, I will always lean towards Australian made so give the Holtons a try first. And do let me know how they go together. 

I have the Kantu 8i which is a very similar design to version 9 (the 8 has the same tweeter but not the wave guide).  They absolutely love current but not necessarily high power.  Feed them right and you will be so happy. 

4 hours ago, Mani said:

Hi I'm currently kantu 8 I with the redgum black series and match very well with power to spare.

Do you have the dual volume controls on this amp, if so, is it annoying or manageable.

Thanks, Matt.

Edited by mattd2308

On 1/30/2018 at 7:39 PM, muzzagruzz said:

@rantan cheers mate. 

Yes, Legend speakers require amps that produce decent current so choose the amps wisely.  I’ve had Legend in the house since 2002 and have run them beautifully with ME pre-power and integrated (known for their current delivery).  However, they are not the only brand capable of driving these speakers.  (I’m just an ME fanboi and had to mention them). 

I don’t have experience with Holton or Parasound so can’t comment.  It’s absolutely imperative that you try them together first before outlaying any money.  Personally, I will always lean towards Australian made so give the Holtons a try first. And do let me know how they go together. 

I have the Kantu 8i which is a very similar design to version 9 (the 8 has the same tweeter but not the wave guide).  They absolutely love current but not necessarily high power.  Feed them right and you will be so happy. 

What do you mean (high) current but not high power? (assuming voltage is 240v).

Edited by was_a

Do you have the dual volume controls on this amp, if so, is it annoying or manageable.
Thanks, Matt.
Mine is the black series Rgi 120 enr and it has dual volume control and it does not worry me, as the balance control for left and right channel and volume is done via a remote it's a set and forget . If you are keen on the redgum carlton audio visual in melb has the redgum and legend for demo. Hope it helps matt.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, was_a said:

What do you mean (high) current but not high power? (assuming voltage is 240v).

I meant the speakers don’t necessarily require an amplifier that has a lot of power, ie, 150 or 300 Watts RMS. 

My ME550 MKII has 100 Watts RMS but can output a maximum of 40 amps of current. It drives the Kantu’s magnificently whereas my Luxman L507-uX @ 110 Watts  RMS (unknown current delivery) can’t drive them well. 

Thanks for that. (I'll have to brush up on my ohms law...I thought it was simply a case of dividing watts by volts, in which case your Luxman would have a slightly higher current...?).

Edited by was_a

On 2/3/2018 at 11:48 AM, was_a said:

Thanks for that. (I'll have to brush up on my ohms law...I thought it was simply a case of dividing watts by volts, in which case your Luxman would have a slightly higher current...?).

Not quite. It's more complicated than that, since ALL amplifiers have some restrictions WRT how much current they can deliver. The closer an amp is to perfection, the more current it can deliver (all other things be equal, of course - which they frequently are not). 

32 minutes ago, was_a said:

Thanks for that. And for the layperson, what are those restrictions? Transformer size?

A lot, including:

* Current limiting systems in the output stage (how high they are set and how they operate).

* Maximum SOA (safe Operating Area) of the output devices.

* Transformer size.

* Main filter capacitance values.