Sign in to follow this  
Dave85

Getting new speakers using old AV Receiver

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my HT setup and will eventually replace everything.

At the moment I run a Yamaha RX V663 AV Receiver that has done me well in my current setup, however I don't know how well it will go with the new speakers I want to get. I have shortlisted a few speakers of interest....

Krix:

- Harmonix MK2 for fronts (Sensitivity 90dB, Nominal 6 Ohms (minimum 3.1 Ohms))

- Vortex MK2 for centre (Sensitivity 91dB, (Nominal 6 Ohms (Minimum 3 Ohms))

- Dynamix MK2 for surrounds (Sensitivity 88dB, (Nominal 6 Ohms (Minimum 3.7 Ohms))

Vaf:

- DC-X63 (Sensitivity 94dB, Nominal 6 Ohms) or DC-X42 (Sensitivity 92dB, Nominal 6 Ohms) for fronts

- DC-X63cc (Sensitivity 94dB, Nominal 6 Ohms) or DC-X42cc (Sensitivity 92dB, Nominal 6 Ohms) for centre

- surrounds unknown at this stage

Klipsch:

- RP-260F for fronts (Sensitivity 96dB, 8 Ohms)

- RP-450C for centre (Sensitivity 97dB, 8 Ohms)

- RP-150M for surrounds (Sensitivity 93dB, 8 Ohms)

I just want some peoples opinions on how the AV receiver will go with either of these setups and if I really should be looking at getting a new AV Receiver first?

Yamaha RX V663 Specs:

- Minimum RMS Output Power for Front, Center, Surround, Surround back
      20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 Ω ...................................... 95 W

- Power Consumption
      [Other models] .................................................................... 440 W

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Dave85
Added more information

I updated the original post to include more information so people don't need to look things up. 

Have you listened to any of the speakers you listed?  I suspect they will all do the job, but your ears are the best judge.

9 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have you listened to any of the speakers you listed?  I suspect they will all do the job, but your ears are the best judge.

Yes I've listened to them all and plan on listening again tomorrow. No store stocks all the brands so makes comparing a little difficult. 

I'm mainly curious how my current av receiver will go. I worry the lower impedance could be an issue. 

Not sure why the focus on impedance? The speakers are relatively sensitive and the AVR is sufficiently powerful for your 5 channels.

I think you need to focus on which package sounded best to you. Was the dialogue better from center speaker for one of the packages? How does the new ones compared with the existing speakers? 

If there is not a significant improvement with the new speakers then consider upgrading the AVR first.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Yngvi
      Price: $500 Item Condition: Good for their age (kept out of direct sunlight) Shipping Options: Pickup is available Suburb or Town: Epping State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Thinning the herd Photos:

• By SBM
      Does anyone know what model of VAF speakers is this?
      Is this a good series/model?

Thank you

• By Yngvi
      Item: Krix Lyrix in Jarrah
      Price: $500
      Item Condition: Good for their age (kept out of direct sunlight)
      Reason for selling: Thinning the herd
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Purchased new by me from CAV. Includes Owners Manual, Brochure, Period Review and Spikes

Pick Up Only

Photos:

• By Bradyey
      Item: KRIX Equinox book shelf speakers, Mk1
      Price: $300 - $350.
      Item Condition: Good. Few marks here and there conducive with age.
      Reason for selling: No longer required & need funds for theatre room.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only.
      Extra Info:

I have 2 pairs of Krix Equinox bookshelf speakers for sale, one pair Jarrah and one pair Walnut.

In great condition for their age. Tested on day of posting this ad and they sound beautiful. I am not the original owner of these, I purchased them both second hand but have now upgraded to larger speakers for my upcoming theatre build.

All 4 speakers present as good condition with some slight marks here and there, as expected with their age. They come with the covers which are also in great condition, just slightly dusty and one has a mark (which can probably easily be removed).

Both pairs are Mk1 Equinox, 6 Ohm nominal impedence. I am not sure of their sensitivity but it should be about 90db.

I have a Krix Graphix centre speaker (not yet listed) available for sale as well, in Walnut. Buy all 5 and you are well on your way to an amazing sounding surround setup for a theatre or lounge room.

These would make for a great 2 channel desktop setup as well. If they don't sell I will hold onto them and use them for this purpose.

Prices for the pairs are as follows:

Walnut - $350 pr.

Jarrah - $300 pr.

I do not have original boxes so pickup required, unless you are willing to organise pack and send to box and ship them for you.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By sufioz
      Item: Krix Harmonix Mark 1 speaker pair
      Price: $999
      Item Condition: Used, about 6 years old. These are my main speakers. I listen to them everyday and love them for the sound and looks. I don't have the boxes.
      Reason for selling: Looking to raise funds towards upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Pickup-Bank transfer prior
      Extra Info: Note the subwoofer and the isolator feet (isoacoustics gaia iii) in the photos are not for sale. The subwoofer I am keeping and the isolator feet i can only offer for sale only once speakers are sold. 

Specifications:

Frequency Range 30Hz - 20kHz in room response

Power Handling Maximum 180 watts RMS amplifier power

Sensitivity 90dB for 2.83 volts at 1 metre

Configuration 4 driver 3-way bi-wirable / bi-ampable

Bass Drivers 2 x nominal 165mm (61/2”) laminated polypropylene cones. 33mm (11/4”) voice coil wound on high powered aluminium former, with ventilated spider and aluminium flux stabilization ring for low distortion

Midrange Driver 1 x nominal 130mm (5”) coated paper cone. 26mm (1”) voice coil wound on high powered aluminium former, using copper shorting ring and  oversized magnet for lower distortion

Tweeter 28mm (1”) doped fabric dome. Ferro fluid cooled. Double magnet shielded

Crossover Point 340Hz & 2.2kHz

Impedance Nominally 4 ohms

Enclosure Type Dual chambers - sealed midrange chamber, with bass reflex main chamber, front vented with internal / external flaring

Dimensions 1060mm high x 220mm wide x 355mm deep

Material 17mm MDF enclosure, heavily braced Finish Vinyl or lacquered timber veneer

Volume 44 litres internal

Weight 28kg each

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.