Sign in to follow this  
LHC

Lossless audio over SPDIF question

Does anyone know whether a blu-ray machine could output lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HS) as a 2-channel (decoded) PCM track over coaxial or optical?

Reason for asking is that I am considering the use of a (cheapish) blu-ray machine as digital transport, and connecting the digital output to a good quality external DAC for processing in a 2-channel set-up. I know one could get lossless audio over the analog outputs, but its quality depends on the internal DAC of the blu-ray machine. I've read that coaxial or optical output does not have sufficient bandwidth to carry multi-channel lossless codec, but apparently it is enough for a 2-channel track. In this set-up I would send the HDMI directly to the TV panel to get the best possible picture.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by LHC

I think a lot of bluray players ask you to select which output gets themulti channel, and the other outputs get the downmixed PCM 2 channel.

With my bluray player I send HDMI to the TV for the picture, but have selected coaxial SPDIF for the multi channel mode. This is connected to my AVR for audio movie playback. Finally, i have the optical SPDIF connected ot my dac to play the PCM 2 channel track.

I looked arouind for a while to find a bluray player with 2 digital outputs so that I could have this setup

My pleasure! You say you are looking for a cheapish Blu-Ray player. What is cheap? If around $600 is doable, the Oppo BDP-80 is ideal as a digital disc transport. SACD and DVD Audio as well as Blu-Ray and region free! Of course you can buy cheaper, but the Oppo does offer a lot!

With my bluray player I send HDMI to the TV for the picture, but have selected coaxial SPDIF for the multi channel mode. This is connected to my AVR for audio movie playback. Finally, i have the optical SPDIF connected ot my dac to play the PCM 2 channel track.

Mark, how is it possible for you to get multi channel on coaxial unless you have selected the ordinary DD and DTS tracks? When you use PCM 2 channel over optical, is that a down-mix version of the high res tracks?

My pleasure! You say you are looking for a cheapish Blu-Ray player. What is cheap? If around $600 is doable, the Oppo BDP-80 is ideal as a digital disc transport. SACD and DVD Audio as well as Blu-Ray and region free! Of course you can buy cheaper, but the Oppo does offer a lot!

Captain, I know the Oppo is good, have a DVD player myself. But at this stage I am only looking at something like the Sony S370 ($199) Blu-ray. It does SACD too.

LHC

I misinterpreted youir original question. I have now read the audiocircle thread and am much better informed - and may buy one of those Atlona thingies!

LHC

I misinterpreted youir original question. I have now read the audiocircle thread and am much better informed - and may buy one of those Atlona thingies!

Thats ok Mark, I get confused by my own question too. From what I read so far, it seems that digital output (coaxial and optical) from Blu-ray is limited to a max resolution of 24/96. To get higher resolution one indeed need to purchase those Atlona thingies.

So ... just to clarify ... by purchasing the Atlona "thingy" ... I could do the same tricks with a Sony BDP-S370 as with the Oppo unit(s) discussed in the Audio Circle thread?

Thanks

Doug