JVC- DLA-X9900 or DLA-X9500?

I've read with some dismay about  random problems afflicting the DLA-X9900  ( many thanks to @Javs) so I was wondering whether it would be preferable  to try to get a 9500 instead. I am looking to use it with a 140"   cinemascope screen , preferably zooming rather than using an anamorphic lens.   My main concern is resolution and brightness  once zoomed in to fill the screen.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

tasso nothing between them really X9000, 9500 or 9900 likes of zombie and manni over on avs still sticking with the original as really the subsequent models are not much different bar firmware differences with some minor differences. if can get the older model cheaper id grab instead. 

many i think will find also suggest the 9500 for instance is a touch better with its older eshift(again a minor difference from what can gather), not sure ive seen anyone suggesting the 9900 over the 9500 :) 

25 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I've read with some dismay about  random problems afflicting the DLA-X9900  ( many thanks to @Javs) so I was wondering whether it would be preferable  to try to get a 9500 instead. I am looking to use it with a 140"   cinemascope screen , preferably zooming rather than using an anamorphic lens.   My main concern is resolution and brightness  once zoomed in to fill the screen.  Any thoughts?

I used to run my X9500 on a 143" Scope screen, throw 20ft.   Plenty of light for SDR  BUT  maxed out @ 29fL iris wide open High Lamp for HDR.

On this size screen you DO notice the E-Shift versus s a  "True" 4K panel..

I would choose the X9500 over the X9900  ..:)

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 1

You wont be able to find a brand new 9500, which is a problem if the sample is no good on a 2nd hand blind purchase.

If you can get a look in person at a 9500 2nd hand and you think its a good sample, grab it.

The 9000 is not one I would look at, doesn't have low latency mode if you are ever interested in gaming, it doesn't have a workable out of the box HDR mode, you would be forced to use custom curves etc. Which I would still recommend anyway. The 9000 also has the oldest of all three's MPC Algorithms, they did actually update that on the 9500 model, I saw an improvement there, but its minor.

And yes, I MUCH prefer the 9500 iteration of eshift personally vs the 9900 for reasons you would have already read about, and seen from me. But people are torn on that one, Woofer above noticed the 9900 looking a bit more analogue and calm on his much larger screen than my 120", so there is that too.

1 hour ago, Javs said:

You wont be able to find a brand new 9500, which is a problem if the sample is no good on a 2nd hand blind purchase.

If you can get a look in person at a 9500 2nd hand and you think its a good sample, grab it.

The 9000 is not one I would look at, doesn't have low latency mode if you are ever interested in gaming, it doesn't have a workable out of the box HDR mode, you would be forced to use custom curves etc. Which I would still recommend anyway. The 9000 also has the oldest of all three's MPC Algorithms, they did actually update that on the 9500 model, I saw an improvement there, but its minor.

And yes, I MUCH prefer the 9500 iteration of eshift personally vs the 9900 for reasons you would have already read about, and seen from me. But people are torn on that one, Woofer above noticed the 9900 looking a bit more analogue and calm on his much larger screen than my 120", so there is that too.

There are a couple of new 9500's still floating around at discounted prices.  I would look at Sony but I am  a bit worried about its lower light output with UHD zoomed in on a  cinemascope screen.   The Sony VPL-VW760ES laser 4K projector ticks a lot of boxes but  I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money unless there was no other alternative.

Edited by Tasso

2 hours ago, :) al said:

tasso nothing between them really X9000, 9500 or 9900 likes of zombie and manni over on avs still sticking with the original as really the subsequent models are not much different bar firmware differences with some minor differences. if can get the older model cheaper id grab instead. 

many i think will find also suggest the 9500 for instance is a touch better with its older eshift(again a minor difference from what can gather), not sure ive seen anyone suggesting the 9900 over the 9500 :) 

I might need to move quickly then.   Are there any downsides to using these projectors with cinemascope screens via zoom ( apart from obvious differences with Anamorphic lenses)?   I have a 110" 16x9 screen now which I am replacing with a  2.4:1 with the same image height which should be around 140" diagonal.  I was wondering how the JVC looked when zoomed in with 1080p material  on a big screen ( I assume native 4K feed would be Ok).

There are a couple of new 9500's still floating around at discounted prices.  I would look at Sony but I am  a bit worried about its lower light output with UHD zoomed in on a  cinemascope screen.   The Sony VPL-VW760ES laser 4K projector ticks a lot of boxes but  I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money unless there was no other alternative.
Are you sure about that? Have you called them to confirm stock? There are places still listing them but I am 99% sure the stock is not available. JVC sold the last stock months ago.

19 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I might need to move quickly then.   Are there any downsides to using these projectors with cinemascope screens via zoom ( apart from obvious differences with Anamorphic lenses)?   I have a 110" 16x9 screen now which I am replacing with a  2.4:1 with the same image height which should be around 140" diagonal.  I was wondering how the JVC looked when zoomed in with 1080p material  on a big screen ( I assume native 4K feed would be Ok).

yes wth a 140" same height screen you will be just zooming out the bars. its really just case of using the lens memories. once get the projector id try get it close to screen as possible to give yourself the most oomph in output as will need as much can for hdr

I remember @blybo 130" scope screen who is using a x7000 like i am and thought looked pretty decent with even just some basic setup for both 1080p and uhd :) I dont recall his viewing distance though, blybo might also be able to comment more re use with a scope screen.

with zooming out I think just a case of not sitting too close or will just be picking up more faults :) maybe something to check out once setup to determine what find most comfortable with viewing distance wise.

1 hour ago, :) al said:

yes wth a 140" same height screen you will be just zooming out the bars. its really just case of using the lens memories. once get the projector id try get it close to screen as possible to give yourself the most oomph in output as will need as much can for hdr

I remember @blybo 130" scope screen who is using a x7000 like i am and thought looked pretty decent with even just some basic setup for both 1080p and uhd :) I dont recall his viewing distance though, blybo might also be able to comment more re use with a scope screen.

with zooming out I think just a case of not sitting too close or will just be picking up more faults :) maybe something to check out once setup to determine what find most comfortable with viewing distance wise.

Thanks Al.    With the  light output of the  projector I figure that 16 X 9 viewing will be done in low brightness mode and zoomed  2.35:1 in a higher brightness setting. Hopefully any light penalty ( compared to anamorphic lens) wont be noticeable.  But as you say, viewing distance will be the determining factor  on how good 1080p material will look.   However, I am finally upgrading an old Sharp DLP projector I have had for years ( been spending way too much on 2  channel HIFI) so I suspect The JVC  will  look very nice regardless by comparison.

2 hours ago, Javs said:
2 hours ago, Tasso said:

Read more  

Are you sure about that? Have you called them to confirm stock? There are places still listing them but I am 99% sure the stock is not available. JVC sold the last stock months ago.

I'll call them tomorrow and find out!

12 hours ago, :) al said:

I sit at 3.5m when reclined in my HT chair. Even when zooming in for scope material on my 130" screen I'm still using low power mode (even with HDR material) and never feel the brightness is lacking.

5 hours ago, blybo said:

I sit at 3.5m when reclined in my HT chair. Even when zooming in for scope material on my 130" screen I'm still using low power mode (even with HDR material) and never feel the brightness is lacking.

Many thanks blybo!

Thinking a bit more my head is probably closer to 4.2m away when reclining as room is 6m long and riser is 1.8m deep

My seating distance is about 4.5m so I shouldn't have any problems. Btw, how far is your projector from the screen?

10 minutes ago, Tasso said:

My seating distance is about 4.5m so I shouldn't have any problems. Btw, how far is your projector from the screen?

Just looked and without getting out the measuring tape 4.5m from lens to screen would be pretty close as not far behind where my head would be when reclined. I can't hear it in operation either unless on high lamp mode, which is never turned on any-more anyway, but from memory it defaults to high lamp mode for 3d discs.

I have the X7000 and it is 4.2m from a 130" 2.35:1 screen to lens.

I sit at 3.90m.

I can see the pixels using e-shift...............at 12inches away from the screen.:lol:

"Real" 4k resolution is massively overrated IMHO. ( Well, maybe not for Woofer's RS4500, but that has a lot more going for it than just 4k).

At 600hrs on the lamp I get approx 90Nits in high lamp wide open iris in 2.35:1, which is "adequate" for good specular highlights in UHD/HDR .

But to be honest, I'm prepared to lose a little colour volume and specular highlights and run in low lamp at around 70Nits so I don't have to hear the fan , or burn through the hours that High lamp uses.

The image is sensational.

• Like 1

Today I saw a Sony VPL-VW550ES being demoed and I must admit I was underwhelmed with what i saw.   Manufacturers obviously feel free to publish any contrast ratios they like because the 350,000:1 spec didn't seem to be subjectively any better than the 1500:1 of my existing DLP projector .  Resolution was stunning however.   I'm sure that it was not set up correctly ( although the store said it was)  but it was such a shock I really need to see the JVC in action before buying it.

I have been meaning to set up the X9500 alongside the 760ES for a comparison. There were a few scenes in Spiderman Homecoming that I wasn't too happy with on the 760ES but I never tested it on the X9500 so I can't be sure. Best I'd seen those scenes so far was on my ZD9/Panny UB900 - which oddly enough looked more defined than on my LG C7/Oppo 205 combo. 

I am really waiting for the Oppo beta firmware to be released here - apparently it does something akin to HDR intensity mapping on the Lumagen Pro. Was considering the Lumagen but unless I get a guy here to recalibrate everytime I change something in my gear - it seems a bit of a waste so that means I need to learn how to DIY.

6 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Today I saw a Sony VPL-VW550ES being demoed and I must admit I was underwhelmed with what i saw.   Manufacturers obviously feel free to publish any contrast ratios they like because the 350,000:1 spec didn't seem to be subjectively any better than the 1500:1 of my existing DLP projector .  Resolution was stunning however.   I'm sure that it was not set up correctly ( although the store said it was)  but it was such a shock I really need to see the JVC in action before buying it.

hmm the only sony i have seen and been impressed with was the 1100ES at $25k plus scope lens it was also running. this was properly setup and in a mega setup. however the projector doesnt fully support uhd and many people sold theirs to buy the jvcs discussed here. all the lesser sonys dont have the optics of this beast and seem hamstrung in one way or the other and still quite expensive for what money buys ! which is a pity... id rather a two horse race :D 

3 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

I have been meaning to set up the X9500 alongside the 760ES for a comparison. There were a few scenes in Spiderman Homecoming that I wasn't too happy with on the 760ES but I never tested it on the X9500 so I can't be sure. Best I'd seen those scenes so far was on my ZD9/Panny UB900 - which oddly enough looked more defined than on my LG C7/Oppo 205 combo. 

I am really waiting for the Oppo beta firmware to be released here - apparently it does something akin to HDR intensity mapping on the Lumagen Pro. Was considering the Lumagen but unless I get a guy here to recalibrate everytime I change something in my gear - it seems a bit of a waste so that means I need to learn how to DIY.

I have seen nothing but rave reviews on the 760 and it is at the back of my mind as something that I should consider if I don't get the wow factor from the current crop of lesser priced projectors.    What are the principal differences you have noticed  compared to the 9500?

3 hours ago, :) al said:

hmm the only sony i have seen and been impressed with was the 1100ES at $25k plus scope lens it was also running. this was properly setup and in a mega setup. however the projector doesnt fully support uhd and many people sold theirs to buy the jvcs discussed here. all the lesser sonys dont have the optics of this beast and seem hamstrung in one way or the other and still quite expensive for what money buys ! which is a pity... id rather a two horse race :D 

One projector that doesn't get a lot of mention is the  Epson EH-LS10500 laser projector. Its supposed to be a significant upgrade from the 10000.  It has better contrast than bulb driven Sony but not up to JVC spec  

Hey Tasso, I've recently been through this same search and eventually bought a near new 9500 here on SNA. If you want a look pop around.

I'm more than happy BTW.:)

Edited by a.dent
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tasso said:

not suggesting the case with this one, but with a projector just make sure buy from a retailer you know has a good track record, its quite possible have some small issue that needs service heck even return. my first x7000 was a DOA(projectors are quite delicate things) and was fortunately promptly handled by my retailer. I know others who have been stuffed around.  also be wary of the eBay seller that says has things and has nothing, and just wants to snare sale accept payment and then coax you into a model up or just leave you hanging till gets one from goodness knows where ! theres a few dodgies around :D  

• Like 1

I have seen nothing but rave reviews on the 760 and it is at the back of my mind as something that I should consider if I don't get the wow factor from the current crop of lesser priced projectors.    What are the principal differences you have noticed  compared to the 9500?

Holy **** it is bright. Like a light cannon.

Can’t believe the JVC and the Sony have the same lumens rating. I’ve only got a couple hundred hours on the JVC.

HDR looks amazing out of the box with the punch not dissimilar to the OLED.

Black levels out of the box isn’t too hot. But I’ll need to do a side by side with the X9500
  • Like 1