Sign in to follow this  
HarbethRob

What is the best audio purchase you have ever made?

Soekris R2R dac1421. Don't even have it yet, but have been waiting for so long for it to be stocked.

My alternative answer would either be Vsonics IEMs that lead me into this hobby or simply my next purchase!

Paradigm Signature 4 v2 in Birdseye Maple

Have had them for years now through valve, SS, Class-T and Class-D amps, countless pre-amps, DACs, subs etc and they're always on song.

I've heard lots of expensive speakers and honestly the only ones I've heard that would make me umm and ahh about swapping out the Paradigms would be Paradigm S8 v2/v3, Lenehan ML3 References (havent heard ML5s yet) or Sonus Faber Cremona M floor standers. 

Too bad Paradigm stopped the Signature series, they're new fancy-series look terrible IMO.

1. Job 225 amp second hand for around $1k. Proper high-fi for a silly price.

2. A Subscription to Tidal

3. PS Audio Perfectwave DAC Mk1 (also for around $1k). Currently upgraded to a mk2 with a bridge 2 installed and acting as a streamer, preamp and DAC. The DSD upgrade beckons! 

Geez I loved my first "proper" hifi setup:  

Arcam A65+ amp, CD62 CD player with B&W DM303 speakers.

Still have a soft spot for the speakers which are at my mother's house...

More recently...

Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arrette speakers. Wow. May be my last speakers... certainly for a long time....

best purchase DBA electronics power line balancer. 2nd hand.
amps, speakers and dacs have come and gone but this has stayed. better than any other power board, filters & nordost treatments i’ve used in the past.

Heybrook HB3s. Sound like music, doesn't sound like hifi.
That's so eloquent .. I briefly had a pair of hb1 and though they were immensely listenable too

3 minutes ago, Snapper() said:
47 minutes ago, Hal Saunders said:
Heybrook HB3s. Sound like music, doesn't sound like hifi.

That's so eloquent .. I briefly had a pair of hb1 and though they were immensely listenable too

I still have a pair of HB1 and they won't be re sold by me . One of my best buys ever, especially at the price.

Honestly the best purchase I have made in my 50 years of owning a stereo is, The Art of Rational Speaker Placement Guide by Bob Robbins

$50 got me more improvements to quality, tone, imaging etc than any other stereo investment.

Plus, it never wears out or needs repaired/replaced like most components.

Bob doesn't give measurements, instead he explains how to setup your system and what your listening for/achieving in each step.

Read here: http://www.myspeakersetup.com/

30 minutes ago, FrostEOne said:

Honestly the best purchase I have made in my 50 years of owning a stereo is, The Art of Rational Speaker Placement Guide by Bob Robbins

$50 got me more improvements to quality, tone, imaging etc than any other stereo investment.

Bob doesn't give measurements, instead he explains how to setup your system and what your listening for/achieving in each step.

I just checked out the site you mentioned and read one of the blogs which reminded me of the importance of stereo imaging. Fiddled around  with the speaker placment and I immediately got better sound.

Thanks FrostEone.

Rob

33 minutes ago, FrostEOne said:

I could not find out much about the book on the site. If you have a copy, can you tell how many pages are there? or Even, show Table of Contents? It would be huge help to understand what the book covers. Thank you.

Yes, of course I have the "book"  It is a 13 page PDF in which Bob explains how you determine distance from wall,  toe in and rake.

Your ears are your tools, he explains how to use them.  No measurements are given, he tells you how to find proper positioning.

Hard to explain without infringing on his copyright.

20 minutes ago, HarbethRob said:

I just checked out the site you mentioned and read one of the blogs which reminded me of the importance of stereo imaging. Fiddled around  with the speaker placment and I immediately got better sound.

Thanks FrostEone.

Rob

Imaging is a fantastic thing, my yamaha ns1000m image like a set of magneplanar tympani 1-d now that I've used Bob's setup instructions.

Drawing of living/stereo room

27774046208_64b7d09246_t.jpgLiving Room 4-22-18 by FrostEOne, on Flickr

30 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

I could not find out much about the book on the site. If you have a copy, can you tell how many pages are there? or Even, show Table of Contents? It would be huge help to understand what the book covers. Thank you.

Download Bob's 3 Huge Mistakes it's free and serves as an introductory.

http://www.myspeakersetup.com/shop/