HarbethRob

What is the best audio purchase you have ever made?

On 04/03/2019 at 3:08 PM, Nigel11 said:

Luxman L-30 at a bargain price

Luxman L30 amplifier.jpg

Lovely. My Dad had one of those....a lush sounding amp.👌

So, this may be a bit lame compared to most, but for me, my first audio purchase ever was my best. 

I was about 14 and had saved for about a year, extracting honey, potting it and selling it in my local neighbourhood, I worked every school holidays with my uncle building roofs. 

I saved about $450. 

With that I bought a Sony all in one. 

Ih had twin tape decks, CD, radio and an eq. 

At the same time I had discovered RTR fm radio station, who had a show on just after school finished that played only dance music. 

For the first time I was introduced to drum and bass, breakbeat, house, techno, hip hop etc,

and having the ability to record from radio, I soon began making mix tapes, recording, pausing, rewinding, changing tapes, fast forwarding etc. 

Basically becoming a bedroom DJ. 

I would give the tapes to friends, they would pass them to their friends, and so on. 

This soon became a money making racket for me, which enabled me to purchase tickets to my first Rave party, and at 14/15, what an eye opener. 

From there I met all sorts of people, Jazz singers, Blues guitarists, DJ’s, rock bands and so on. 

This was the beginning for me of my love of music, all types of music, and audio itself. 

Had the time of my life. 

it must be my Sansui Au919 - unfortunately it has died and need to move on. It was a heavy beast and bought this in Hong Kong and can imagine the issue with bringing it back to this country.

On 10/03/2019 at 9:54 AM, Daniel T-D said:

So, this may be a bit lame compared to most, but for me, my first audio purchase ever was my best. 

I was about 14 and had saved for about a year, extracting honey, potting it and selling it in my local neighbourhood, I worked every school holidays with my uncle building roofs. 

I saved about $450. 

With that I bought a Sony all in one. 

Ih had twin tape decks, CD, radio and an eq. 

At the same time I had discovered RTR fm radio station, who had a show on just after school finished that played only dance music. 

For the first time I was introduced to drum and bass, breakbeat, house, techno, hip hop etc,

and having the ability to record from radio, I soon began making mix tapes, recording, pausing, rewinding, changing tapes, fast forwarding etc. 

Basically becoming a bedroom DJ. 

I would give the tapes to friends, they would pass them to their friends, and so on. 

This soon became a money making racket for me, which enabled me to purchase tickets to my first Rave party, and at 14/15, what an eye opener. 

From there I met all sorts of people, Jazz singers, Blues guitarists, DJ’s, rock bands and so on. 

This was the beginning for me of my love of music, all types of music, and audio itself. 

Had the time of my life. 

Is this Dr Dre?

Best audio purchase would be my ME240 high cap and VPI Classic 1. Love them both equally and will never give them up. 

Shure SE 530 IEMs. They have died, been replaced with Noble Audio K10u, and then reborn (re-shelled into customs). Still my main headphones. 

They had had such a jump in sound from anything I’d heard up until 2007 when I bought them for a whopping $350. They also travel everywhere with me. 

Perhaps my recent Audionote Arm V2- so good! Very musical- cannot fault it, however will upgrade to the Arm 3 when funds allow.:)

In the first few pages of this thread I listed the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated as the best all round piece of hi-fi gear I had purchased and I still feel incredibly strongly about how good that amplifier is. However for several months I have enjoyed another piece of hi-fi gear that has put a huge smile on my face and is, I would say, easily the best bang for dollar investment I have made in hi-fi and whats even better is they enhance the PrimaLuna to become basically a 550w tube amp.

That piece of gear is the extremely rare Music Fidelity 550K Superchargers, whether as a inline booster or as a pair of mono blocks they pretty much faithfully reproduce the sound that is feed into them. 

When used as inline boosters with the PrimaLuna amp they just add massive dynamics but pretty much reproduce that PrimaLuna sound just with big balls, which I now know really suits my Vienna Acoustic speakers which I always though were reasonably easy to drive.

Used as switchable mono blocks with the Mystere CA21 Pre amp they just reproduce that incredibly smooth lush tube sound without added colour, but again with balls. 

These some what odd looking things were very expensive when new over a decade ago but now sell for bugger all, that is if you can find any. 

As I said easily these are the best bargain hi-fi purchase I have made and one that has seriously enhanced my system.

cheers Terry

FEA2266A-8130-4CC3-9F10-DA7E31FC33D7.jpeg

Edited by TerryO

My much loved B&W DM1400's, picked them up in original boxes with all original packing and documentation for under $200.00. The treble on these things goes on forever I padded the tweeters a few db and it elevated them to new heights. I also tilt them back a little which really opens up the sound stage.

DM1400.thumb.jpg.7f6004a9ff0e173cb49378f7f3e9398a.jpg

My Arcam DAC really brought the system to life.  I wanted something that offered scale and resolution but wasn't fussy on recording quality and that's exactly what it gave me.  

Very hard to say, but after messing round for years with commercial integrateds my Elektra reference power amp was an eye opener which immediately demonstrated the benefit of having plenty of reserve power, even for low listening levels. 

The hifi piece that has been with me the longest is a pair of Paradigm 3se i bought back in the 90's, they're still going strong and sounding great daily.

But can I say spotify? Totally changed the way I listen to music.

My favourite purchase has been the B&O Beoplay A2. I've been living a simple life with few things, and the sound out of this little speaker is unreal. I love that I can take it from the bedroom to the living room and to the park. For a living out of a suitcase deal this thing is unbeatable.

IMG_2182.JPG

Edited by Igor Nadj

I've mumbled on this thread a few times but never mentioned the best Audio Purchase.

DNM Series 3 Twin power supply.

431402707_dnm3dt.jpg.ffcd9a4783f81684c5d0f4476a2375b7.jpg

On 24/4/2018 at 7:05 PM, Guest said:

Honestly the best purchase I have made in my 50 years of owning a stereo is, The Art of Rational Speaker Placement Guide by Bob Robbins

$50 got me more improvements to quality, tone, imaging etc than any other stereo investment.

Plus, it never wears out or needs repaired/replaced like most components.

Bob doesn't give measurements, instead he explains how to setup your system and what your listening for/achieving in each step.

Read here: http://www.myspeakersetup.com/

For a Thousand U$ Bucks Bob can move ya speakers around 😂 The Book could be a useful read tho ;) 

The best audio impacting purchase I made was getting my ears syringed out. I had an ear infection, and the syringing was at the end.

For 2 or 3 weeks I could hear a pin drop! Pops and crackles on vinyl were infuriating, but when all was good, it was ridiculously good: the old was new, was bespoke, vivid, and enthralling.

But then the ear wax builds up again!

my avantgarde zeros which im selling!!! but when you've got an itch you have have to scratch

recently purchased tube amp, Elekit TU-8200, 8wpc of pure pleasure listening

20191019_221939.jpg

Now this a tough one and requires some  cheating. Choosing one component is difficult because where I'm at now at the pinnacle of probably 13 years I have three components that have made this possible. Denon DP80 turntable is the best of all the good turntables I've had but I guess one of the others would be close. The Lii audio crystal 10 full range drivers in tqwt are most likely the best components and the Bakoon 11R amplifier is the icing on the cake

Goodaye all

BEER.

Now stay with me on this, after enjoying a few quite beers one Saturday night l get on ebay.

Find a Sansui AU717 Buy it now cheap in South Australia, text my cousin who drinks at pub 100m from this bloke. (Yes he had had a few by this time also).

So Bought it buy it now.

Next morning blurry eyed realalised it was parts only, missing  a volume pot.

Oh well it was cheap.

Month later get it via relative express, more beer involved.

6 months later a new volume pot is installed and it sings.

The volume pot is another long story. (no Beer involved)

So one of my best audio purchases was Beer.

regards Bruce

26 minutes ago, sloper said:

after enjoying a few quite beers one Saturday night l get on ebay

Very dangerous🍺

Can do a little better, a mate one drunken Saturday night bought a VK GrpA/3.

Still has it and the wife.

regards Bruce

1 hour ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

BEER.

Now stay with me on this, after enjoying a few quite beers one Saturday night l get on ebay.

Find a Sansui AU717 Buy it now cheap in South Australia, text my cousin who drinks at pub 100m from this bloke. (Yes he had had a few by this time also).

So Bought it buy it now.

Next morning blurry eyed realalised it was parts only, missing  a volume pot.

Oh well it was cheap.

Month later get it via relative express, more beer involved.

6 months later a new volume pot is installed and it sings.

The volume pot is another long story. (no Beer involved)

So one of my best audio purchases was Beer.

regards Bruce

OT but just quickly.....

Never get on eBay drunk.

Old mate had a few and got on eBay, got carried away, and purchased..... a kangaroo hide.

Rang me the next day and asked, 'What the f**k do do I do with a kangaroo hide?'

Didn't know what to tell him.