What is the best audio purchase you have ever made?

I posted this gear up in a similar thread title in 2013. Still stands today as my best/favorite audio purchase...

All gear sold together to me as a package online.

Marantz PM80 SE amplifier.

Marantz SD415 Double cassette deck.

Marantz ST55 Tuner.

Marantz CD63 remote control only (no CD player unfortunately).  :(

Yamaha CDC-585 CD Player.

Magnat MSP 300 floor standing speakers.

All working & in great condition, picked up locally (40 minute Drive) for $336. Sold everything on-line except the PM80 SE amp (keep for myself) for $510. So free amp + cash left over used to clean, service & repair/replace any parts.

All from a deceased estate...

Gentleman selling had heaps of inquires from around Australia about the PM80 SE, people asking if he would separate the amp from the other gear... obviously for post/transport reasons. But he was determined to sell as a package......Lucky me being local & close enough to drive & pick it all up! 

PM80 SE is a rare find in the Australian market, so i think myself quite lucky to have found one for what i think was a bargain price!

post-122082-0-80623800-1385700930_thumb.

post-122082-0-73827900-1385701151_thumb.

post-122082-0-07626100-1385701375_thumb.

post-122082-0-16683100-1385701421_thumb.

post-122082-0-39448300-1385701480_thumb.

post-122082-0-58141600-1385701578_thumb.

Cheers

Mushy

• Like 1

I’ve had many many speakers over the years. B&W, Martin Logan, eclipse, Bose, bang Olufsen, focal, Maggie’s  and countless other brands 

But recently I bought a pair of Spendor D9’s.    I’m In love with them 

Definitely the best speaker I’ve owned at any price 

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
Just now, Bill125812 said:

I’ve had many many speakers over the years. B&W, Martin Logan, eclipse, Bose, bang Olufsen, focal, Maggie’s  and countless other brands 

But recently I bought a pair of Spendor D9’s.    I’m In love with them 

Definitely the best speaker I’ve owned at any price 

This model?

On 04/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, sloper said:

Best purchase was a roll of RG213, lifted the SQ of nearly all my systems.

l said nearly all because l need another roll.

regards Bruce

This can not be over stated. I am still amazed at what this modest addition has done to my system.

I borrowed a Primare CD32 while I awaited my lesser CD22 to be delivered. I was concerned I had been spoiled and would be let down by the entry level model. The CD22 at its highest sample rate was actually pretty much indistinguishable however when I added the RG213 it lifted the whole sound to a quite unexpected level. Perhaps I lucky I didn't have the CD 32 with the RG213....

• Like 2

I bought a pair of Rotel RB890 bridged amps when my hi-fi interest was in its infancy. These things sounded fine for what they were, were a great cost,  and lasted like a tank. At the end of there life they were getting moved around to different places and parties, with lots of musical memories. I have now progressed to Nemos, with obvious difference, but music/listening is not only about the quality, but experiences. Those Rotel amps were like my childhood friends lol.

• 1 month later...

This.

Even though it's probably quite tame by SNA standards, the difference it's made to my system is AMAZING. I had no idea what I was missing. I have Quad 12L's in a teeny tiny 3x2.9m room, and because they're near the wall I had to bung the rear ports to clean up the sound, so I was only really getting 75Hz and up. Some songs just sound completely different now. Best $100 I've ever spent.

• Like 2

Densen B200/B320 + pre power. I've had these amps for over 3years,  bought many amplifiers home, some quite expensive to compare, but nothing comes close when it comes to sound, engagement or PRAT. Absolute bargain even though can be fussy with speaker pairing, brilliant with my PMC''s.

If I could ever afford it, their monos' would be on the radar. 

For value its a toss up between
Trio( kenwood) tuner
Quad esl 57- but didnt have the space
Kenwood kp 990 turntable- best semi auto deck around
Oppo sacd/dvd - realy good sacds sound amazing as do hi res discs, its just the 103 but its still great

Guest scumbag
10 hours ago, What Me? said:

My most significant purchase was the Shunyata Hydra.

It was a game changer for my system and is now the foundation of everything I add or replace.

Hail Hydra. 

On 04/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, sloper said:

Best purchase was a roll of RG213, lifted the SQ of nearly all my systems.

l said nearly all because l need another roll.

regards Bruce

Very interesting. What speaker cables were you using previously?

• 2 weeks later...