What is the best audio purchase you have ever made?

Exciting times, i really can't emphasise enough how this phono responds to different tubes. I have tried quite a few different pairs in the V1 and V2 for a different flavour in sound but the single tube in the V3 seems to make the biggest difference. Also the ground wire and switch on the back of the 7 was effective in reducing hum from my dirty mains.
It would be worth contacting Graham at Tron to see what settings your unit has he will have records of this via the serial #. There is a good chance it was set for the original owners cart.

• Like 1

Pioneer-PD-5010-HiFi-Stereo-CD-Player-Fantastic-Audio.jpg.fc67bf94989f9fd29ebd2d8bba1467ed.jpg

First CD Player.

Pioneer PD5010..............Look if you cant be with the one you love

............Love the one you're with. 

Brought from Brash's in Collins St Melb. Upstairs there was a bit of gear some of it pretty good.

Cost me $259 Dollars.

CD's were transformational. My ilk couldn't afford moving Magnet $4K Phonos so CD's blew us away. It takes money to Chase the Dragon. That took longer to come.  :logik:

Edited by SPANDAU BALLET
  • Like 2

I love my Technics SL-M3
I bought it through the classifieds
Told if was fully operational but no it wasn't,took it to the best tech in Perth Jason, he weaves magic.
This thing is rare and sounds unbelievable

IMG_0192.jpg

• Like 7

My Weston Acoustics Time Machine and Topaz KT120's.I'm the 3rd owner of this rig,endless no questions asked support and service from Earl,brilliant amps and great bloke.

They run minimum 6 hours a day and take the winter chill out of the lounge when the fire isn't on.

I came from 20 years or so with a Denon pma 1080R and thought I'd landed on another planet,I suddenly realised listening fatigue was a thing (I used to turn the PMA off after a few hours).The TM and Topaz's get switched off when the lights go off.

1531411704206-1541263156.jpg

Edited by skidstar
Add image
  • Like 7

It's a hard question to answer.  Is it the piece of equipment that opened my mind in terms of better fidelity experiences, or is it what I couldn't live without.

I re-entered the hifi sphere in 2007 after taking 3 months off work post a redundancy. I joined SNA and (at pace) proceeded to spend my package  :)   I purchased and changed a lot of gear to get to where I am now but without each incremental improvement, I wouldn't be where I am either. By that I mean, each purchase has played a part in educating me on the benefits of better gear.

Aslan Speakers were the main influence back then, but are not close to what I have now in respect to speakers (performance and engagement).

Droplet CD5 was an amazing piece of gear and matched well to the NAD M3 and Aslans. But the Soulines Kubrick eats any of my digital sources between then and now (Chord DAC64, Audio GD, and Luxman D05).

For me, it has to be the CH2s from @cheekyboy .  They would have to be the best Audio purchase over the past 11 years since re-entering the HiFi scene.  Each and every improvement I've made since buying these speakers 2 years ago have been noticed / delivered.  In my system, the CH2s are the lowest priced component..  But probably serve the biggest part - certainly bring about many hours of non fatiguing enjoyment.

• Like 9

Garrard 401.  Originally I had it set up with a Decca International unipivot and an Ortofon MC20 Supreme.  

There is a certain something about this deck with a unipivot and decent MC that does special things with PRaT and dynamics that I've never heard from CD or other TT setups.

Mine is now running the original version of The Wand unipivot arm and a Paradox Pulse lead and alloy bodied DL103.

While I know there are things that they cannot do (huge volumes or low bass) I remain very pleased with my Audiosphere Sphere II's with the concrete enclosure and fullrange Coral Flat 5.  They stop and start on a dime and let you hear things normally lost in other drivers, enclosures and crossovers.  These things are the audio equivalent of a gocart when all other speakers are V8 supercars.

• Like 1

Apart from inheriting my late dear old Dads SF Strads I would have to say the purchase of a Sony HAP Z1ES, even play back of Spotify through the DSD engine up sample is great. Looking forward to hooking up Dads Linn and playing some vinyl.

• Like 3

This would be my best audio purchase ever. It has delighted me for over 43 years. Never fails to start up. It has brought out the best in all the equipment that has enabled. In times of trouble ... it has saved me from despair ... I do have to admit that the remastered DVDA version can sound better these days but it is always there as a true love of mine. (apologia to Art Garfunkle and Paul Simon)

itcotkc.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mine would be without a doubt my Rega RP6.

I absolutely love the sound of this table, PRAT is outta this world, and I have steadily improved upon it by way of upgrades.

I have the Groovetracer subplatter, Funk Firm Achromat, Tangospinner  Bronze Triple Pulley, 2 Opal rubber belts from Tangospinner and an Edwards Little Blue Belter rubber belt running on it.

I expect I will continue to try small upgrades upon this table to see how far I can take it, but eventually when funds allow I imagine I will make the jump to the Rega RP8 or the new P8 which apparently will be released late 2018.

Till then I look forward to many more blissful listening sessions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richo1978 said:

Mine would be without a doubt my Rega RP6.

I absolutely love the sound of this table, PRAT is outta this world, and I have steadily improved upon it by way of upgrades.

I have the Groovetracer subplatter, Funk Firm Achromat, Tangospinner  Bronze Triple Pulley, 2 Opal rubber belts from Tangospinner and an Edwards Little Blue Belter rubber belt running on it.

I expect I will continue to try small upgrades upon this table to see how far I can take it, but eventually when funds allow I imagine I will make the jump to the Rega RP8 or the new P8 which apparently will be released late 2018.

Till then I look forward to many more blissful listening sessions.

Is your rp6 in green?

Yes in Green. Actually its my profile photo with the red Achromat. Though I am considering changing the Achromat, as I am tired of the red on green look.

Liked it at first as it looked different, unique.

But the Red kinda has lost it's charm in my eyes and detracts from the beauty of the table I think.

• Like 1

Just now, Richo1978 said:

Yes in Green. Actually its my profile photo with the red Achromat. Though I am considering changing the Achromat, as I am tired of the red on green look.

Liked it at first as it looked different, unique.

But the Red kinda has lost it's charm in my eyes and detracts from the beauty of the table I think.

I been sorely wanting a gloss green table just for the looks and finally ordered a Project version only a couple of hrs ago. You my friend has a great taste in decor. Show me some pics pls.

• Like 1

Thanks Happy,

It's probably the only decor I have ever taken any pride in.

I will most definitely take some photos of my set up and post over the next few days.

Glad to hear you ordered the green Project table, they are amazing tables.

A friend has a white Project debut and is over the moon with it.

Enjoy many hours of listening my friend.

Look forward to seeing pics once you got it all set up.

Cheers.

• Like 1

To me it's been the whole package coming together, the Acoustic Arts-Amp, Pre & Phono, the Gold note Bellagio TT and of course, the Avalon Indria's, all connected together with,

PAD Corvus interconnects and speaker cables, the synergy is there, it just works well together..I'm very happy ....as I rarely watch TV anymore, just listen to music instead.:thumb:

• Like 1

Guest Misterioso

I nominate my speakers: Quested V2108 (using Morel and Volt drivers, MC2 class A/B amplification).

Edited by Misterioso

All considered over 40 years, I’d have to say my current speakers, VAF i93 Mk 1 bought here on SNA a few y ears ago. The Mk11’s might be better but these are still a magnificent bit of kit ?  

Make that 48 years ☹️ Oh well age approaches.

Edited by Desap
Addition
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Easily, by far the most significant was upgrading the church PA speaker cables from way too long 18 AWG to 14 AWG 7.5 m run (2% of load impedance).  Hey presto, we now have clarity and a bass response, & a pretty tight one at that.  The best at home, replacing the polk 10b tweeters.  Oh, & the 2nd best was keeping all the interconnects clean and conditioned and conditioning all the pots, switches & trimmers etc.

So purchases being heavier shorter speaker cable, tweeters & deoxit.  By far the best value for money ever.

Edited by kenwstr
  • Like 1