HarbethRob

What is the best audio purchase you have ever made?

I want to ask SN members what is the best audio device you have ever bought? The one that has made the biggest difference to the sound of your system or the one that has brought you the most delight? Is it that incredible unheard of amplifier, or speakers that have transformed your system, or a DAC that suddenly destroyed the terrible digititis and made you think that CDs were as good as vinyl, or that one element in your system that suddenly jelled with the other stuff you had to create that special synergy.

PS audio directstream junior fed by roon via ethernet. Especially with the latest update.

Only thing that will pry it away would be the bigger brother with bridge

My next one!

Nice todagt.

In my case, it was oddly rediscovering equipment that I had put away in my cupboard for some time - a lavry Dac which plays very nicely with an Anthony Holton amplifier.

I would certainly mention the Holton amplifier which has introduced me to a new level of amplifier and reminded me that creating audio equipment is both science and art. It is all about tone.

rob

In 1986 I bought a Townshend Elite Rock II, it had a Moth RB250 and Denon DL110 fitted.

I still have the Rock and RB250, the RB250 has had a rewire and a few mods by j7 of Audio Origami and Origin Live, DL110 long gone.

I have to say that is the best buy of my HiFi life.

miniDSP 2 x 8 DAC

Holton Precision Audio (multiple amplifier array)

A fantastic combination that just improves with familiarity.

Just add Digital/Analogue and speakers, it's done.

Bluenote (Goldnote) Reale II speakers. They also turned out to be the silliest sale I ever made.

Kuzma Stabi S with power supply. Matched to an Audio Origami PU7 and my old Dynavector 17D3 it is a match made in Heaven - sounding fabulous with all types of music. The only way I'll sell my S is to go to the Ref.  The old adage that looks can be deceiving has never been truer, this TT (with power supply) is incredible and would easily accommodate any tonearm.

22 years ago it was my Audio Research Classic 60 power amp. The first component I ever put in my system where suddenly all the tonality of the instruments fell into place and a cello materialised in my room. When I tried the same experiment with the stock tubes and not the matched Sovtek valves I was disappointed so the tubes were about as important as the amp. It sounded good but not magical (so I quickly replaced them when I bought the amp.) Last year I had a similar experience when I replaced my beloved Classic 60 with an Audio Research Reference 150SE which did everything the Classic 60 did, only better - far more neutral, far more depth, far quieter, and authority and linearity to full symphonic levels unlike ever before - this time the stock matched Tungsol KT150s are sensational.

DNM Series 3 Twin power supply preamplifier.

Best accessory by far was a Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM.