75" Recommendations

3 hours ago, zammasaurus said:

Just saw the Sony 75x8500E online at Harvey Norman for $2870 today only (black friday sale) https://www.harveynorman.com.au/sony-75-x8500e-4k-ultra-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv.html

That looks like a great deal.  Can anyone tell me what the difference if between the 8500E Sony for that price and the Sony 9400E on the same website for $5219 ?  Trying to read the specs but they look similar and I must be missing something if one is more the 2000 dollars more than the other.  Any help appreciated.  Cheers.

Guest thathifiguy
30 minutes ago, bradp51 said:

That looks like a great deal.  Can anyone tell me what the difference if between the 8500E Sony for that price and the Sony 9400E on the same website for $5219 ?  Trying to read the specs but they look similar and I must be missing something if one is more the 2000 dollars more than the other.  Any help appreciated.  Cheers.

I'm pretty sure the main difference is that the 8500 series is edge lit LED vs the Direct LED backlighting in the 9000+ models.

Guest thathifiguy

There may also be some slightly better native motion processing in the higher model, though I'm not certain off the top of my head

Hi,

Just had a look at the specs and the 9400 is 12kg heavier, uses 2.5 times more power per year, and says it has " Backlight Drive+ and X-tended Dynamic Range PRO", which the 8500 doesn't have....

JJ

9 hours ago, bradp51 said:

Apart from the better backlighting zone technology being used brad ; the 9400 using the better xtreme pro chipset has just received the dolby vision upgrade ; something the 8500 will never get as its processor isn't up to it...

Good read here on o/s versions

https://www.itwire.com/reviews/entertainmnent/78561-sony-packs-dolby-vision-into-new-x93-94e,-4k,-2017-lcd-tvs-first-look.html

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

5 hours ago, sbv20j said:

I picked up a Sony X9000e for $3600 with a fair bit of negotiation at my local HN store great tv if you can locate one in a run out sale

Was that for the 75" Sony X9000e?  If so what a great price. 

I see JB have them advertised for $4498 and in reading the reviews I saw this:

Model is a lemon

Go to the Sony website; they acknowledge that this model (and the 55" equivalent) have a design issue with the power supply system. I have just today arranged my second service call to revive my dead TV, since purchase less than 4 months ago. While the TV has been fine while working, I will be going back to Panasonic - never a single service call with multiple TVs over 15 years.

No, 
I do not recommend this product.

Edited by Peter_F
more info...

26 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

design issue with the power supply

Had an issue with mine a while ago, thought it was dead one day; I tried the Harmony remote, then the original remote but nothing!

Was in the process of contacting the retailer for warranty when I though I would look a bit further.

Pulled the power lead from the back and plugged it back in, tried it again, Nothing!

Switched the power off at the wall and back on and it re-booted. Seems that there is an issue with switching in the power supply but has never happened again since.

I did a quick internet search and found a couple others have had a similar experience, not sure of the cause but it seems that they had the same solution and no repeat issue.

Hey Peter_F, do you have a link to the page on the Sony site?  I cant find anything on the X9000e power supply issue.  I purchased mine after my Samsung 64F8500 plasma power supply went kaput and they don't stock spare parts anymore so they cant repair, I dont want to get caught twice.

12 minutes ago, Dogbert said:

Hey Peter_F, do you have a link to the page on the Sony site?  I cant find anything on the X9000e power supply issue.  I purchased mine after my Samsung 64F8500 plasma power supply went kaput and they don't stock spare parts anymore so they cant repair, I dont want to get caught twice.

No mate I don't have a link to the Sony site.  I'm not even sure if the power supply issue was related to the 75" after reading another review on the JB site debunking that comment.

• 2 weeks later...

DJ's has the 75" 9400e for $4,299.

https://www.davidjones.com/electrical/televisions/tvs/4k-tvs/21482694/75-4K-UHD-HDR-LED-ANDROID-TV-KD75X9400E.html

A couple of weeks ago it was $3,999 (free delivery and installation), which I jumped on with DJ gift cards bought through RACQ (10% discount). So I paid $3,600 all up.

9 hours ago, saa said:

A couple of weeks ago it was $3,999 (free delivery and installation), which I jumped on with DJ gift cards bought through RACQ (10% discount). So I paid $3,600 all up.

Was this online and the gift cards worked? For some reason the online system is not working with gift cards.