75" Recommendations

Happy to help mate, cause ive just gone through it. For Value and in your budget. 

1. HiSense... 4K HDR and 3 year warranty. Good reviews and comes in under 3.5k. I think can be had for about $3200. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/hisense/hisense-n7-75-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-uled-lcd-tv/450663/

2. Panasonic Ex780 gets great reviews here amongst the forum. Priced at $3900 but sure you could get it for $3500-$3600. I thought picture was great - i didnt like the menus or interface. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/panasonic/panasonic-ex780a-75-premium-4k-uhd-hdr-3d-smart-led-lcd-tv/442926/

3. Samsung MU6100 4K UHD LED LCD. Just dropped in price, i dont think the picture is quite as good as the first two here thought. But comes in well under your budget at $2900. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/samsung/samsung-mu6100-75-4k-uhd-smart-led-lcd-tv/457714/

4. Sony X8500E. Brilliant picture, probably the best of the bunch under 4k... for the 75 inch.. but its going to cost you the $4,000. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-x8500e-75-4k-uhd-hdr-android-smart-led-lcd-tv/453471/

5. Alternatively, do what i did and forgo the extra 10" and check out the Samsung QLED Q7. It's 65" but i found the picture, interface, response time, remote control, everything to me was the best - and i got it for under $2900. Go check out the quality of the first 3, then check out the Samsung Q7. If you have room to move in the budget, and can go up to about $4200 - you can get the 75" version of the Q7. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/samsung/samsung-q7-series-7-65-4k-uhd-hdr-qled-lcd-tv/444908/

There you go, all 2 weeks of my research, laid out for you in 1 easy to follow guide. Good luck - let us know what you end up going with :)

• Like 5

On 1/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, Kaynin said:

I'd go the Sony all day long if you're spending $3,500.  At the purchase point you'll pay less than the $4,000.  Performance remains when the few extra shekels are forgotten.

As long as your accepting of an IPS panel.

On 31/01/2018 at 11:47 AM, Gee Emm said:

I'd rather pay for a warranty I don't have to use.

Cry once!

Or buy a warranty where they have the faith in their product rather than the usual b/s 1 year 

• 3 weeks later...

Love our 75" Hisense that we purchased last year, asking price from memory around $4,000. Purchase price after lots of haggling was $2,600 from Harvey Norman.

I'll never buy another expensive Tv, sure there might be better out there than Hisense, but at that price one can upgrade every few years to the latest technology and not feel to much pain. Regarding picture quality compared to all the other big name tv's in the shop the Hisense was right up there.

cheers Terry 

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

Panasonic EX780 or the Sony.
I would stay away from the Chinese brands when the Japanese brands can be had at excellent run out prices. The Samsung 6100 is nowhere near the Panny or Sony IMO.

Edited by Wags69

• 1 month later...

Some good suggestions here, I am also looking for some advice on a new TV to replace my 3.5 year old Samsung plasma 64F8500 that is slowly dying.  I am thinking 75" as well but can spend up to $5000.  Samsung are taking my old one away soon, so I don't have much time to decide.  Any suggestions, I am in Perth so not as much competition, TIA.

Edited by Dogbert

The trick is to buy when the new models are about to be released, which often happens about now depending on brand. I was in a JB Hifi store the other day and spoke with a salesman, he was pushing along with various recommendations up until I told him we bought a 75" ULED HiSense last year and then he totally changed his tune and just said in reality most tv's haven't had to many steps up the ladder in the past twelve to eighteen months if anything as time goes on the quality is getting much closer between the good lesser brand TV's and the much more expensive ones. 

That kind of summed it up for me, why waste big dollars when you can buy a TV for often 50% of the top line models purchase price. Good luck finding the right deal.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

5 hours ago, TerryO said:

That kind of summed it up for me, why waste big dollars when you can buy a TV for often 50% of the top line models purchase price. Good luck finding the right deal.

Thats correct, IF you are happy with the compromises that will most probably bring.

If you can happily watch a cheaper brand TV, more power to you.

I wish I could, would have saved me heaps of cash over the years!! :winky:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wags69 said:

Thats correct, IF you are happy with the compromises that will most probably bring.

If you can happily watch a cheaper brand TV, more power to you.

I wish I could, would have saved me heaps of cash over the years!! :winky:

The great thing about checking out Tv's compared to Hifi gear is you can walk up and down a row of them in a shop and directly compare what the picture on each screen looks like. Having checked out most of the latest model 65" and 75" tv's for sale at present I'm not to sure what the compromises are?

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

2 hours ago, TerryO said:

The great thing about checking out Tv's compared to Hifi gear is you can walk up and down a row of them in a shop and directly compare what the picture on each screen looks like. Having checked out most of the latest model 65" and 75" tv's for sale at present I'm not to sure what the compromises are?

cheers Terry

Like I said, if you see no difference, then great.

But I can tell you NO TV will look like it does in a shop when you get it into your house with your own surrounds.

I'll eat my hat if you think a Soniq LCD looks like a Sony oled! :winky:

• Like 1

Hi, I am also in the same boat.  Looking to go to a 75".  What are the thoughts on the Samsung 75" MU7000?  Seen a few mentions of the MU6100 but not the MU700 (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/samsung/samsung-mu7000-75-premium-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-led-lcd-tv/444904/).  Saw it on the Easter weekend for about $2800 at both JB and Good Guys, but price has jumped back up to $3500.

Hi, I am also in the same boat.  Looking to go to a 75".  What are the thoughts on the Samsung 75" MU7000?  Seen a few mentions of the MU6100 but not the MU700 (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/samsung/samsung-mu7000-75-premium-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-led-lcd-tv/444904/).  Saw it on the Easter weekend for about $2800 at both JB and Good Guys, but price has jumped back up to $3500.
I can tell you from personal experience the MU7000 is not great (the one I got anyway). I took it back an got a Panasonic 75EX780, absolutely shits all over the samsung.

30 minutes ago, Wags69 said:

I can tell you from personal experience the MU7000 is not great (the one I got anyway). I took it back an got a Panasonic 75EX780, absolutely shits all over the samsung.

Cheers, looks like the EX780 get's a lot of positive feedback - from my quick search anyway.  Would love to see it about $1k cheaper on sale, then it would be a purchase straight away.

Cheers, looks like the EX780 get's a lot of positive feedback - from my quick search anyway.  Would love to see it about $1k cheaper on sale, then it would be a purchase straight away.
$3135 is what someone paid for one. That's a steal if you ask me!

Thanks for the info, the Panasonic 75EX780 is sounding like a good option.  My budget might be able to stretch to the Sony X9000E 75" if I can get it close to $4000 (seen it $4300 online).

Would have thought that Sony E model would be well under 4k by now?

As a footnote to the discussions above, with a retirement present to myself I budgeted $4000 to purchase an LG C7 OLED - no brainer I thought; just a visit to my local JBs to negotiate a suitable deal and fulfil a dream to own an emissive display following a dozen or so, post plasma years with LCD.

In the end I surprised myself by purchasing a Samsung 75" MU7000 (edge lit LCD with a VA panel) which I picked up for $3500.  My reasons are as follows:

1) 65" is no longer large enough to watch movies and streaming video.

2) $4000 budget limitations ruled out larger full array local dimming units such as the upcoming Samsung series 9 QLED or the Panasonic 900E/F.

3) not interested in any television with an IPS panel as viewing angles are not an issue for me.

Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance of this set which seems to debunk many of the well publicised defects of edge lit technology.  For example, screen uniformity is excellent and I have not noticed any vertical banding, haloing or light bleed.  Like most mid range sets, the MU7000 responds well to good quality source material particularly 4K video, Foxtel HD etc.  On the negative side, contrast/black levels and overall brightness could be better and colour saturation is pretty average although improves with HDR source material.

Cheers and happy hunting.   

• Like 3