Apple HomePod pre-orders start 27/1

Guest Sime

@blybo I guess I simply can’t see the relevance, ok you have something already, but this thread is about information of a new product, and I’m in no way trying to convince people they need one. If for whatever reason someone doesn’t feel the need to buy it, so be it. 

I don’t really need it either, I have a google home and it’s a POS. It’s a pos because it fails at its simplest task, playing music. 

‘All this HomePod needs to do is to keep me amused while my system is off, and to also play back the never ending random messages the missus sends when she’s bored at work lol. 

1 hour ago, Chill3 said:

Ok

so after just a few hours with one of these I’m calling game changing audio tech, just amazing for the price and size, critically it’s musicaly involving 

?

That is very cool, you don’t need to be here now.

Is this another spying device like the Google and Amazon things?

How ironic we go to great lengths to make sure we don't have spyware on our computers and yet we actually pay money to have spy devices in our homes listening in to everything that is said or done.

However @Sime is correct, the choice is an individual one.

• Like 1

so far so good, not a bad little speaker at all, can’t wait till AirPlay 2 is out, I need a stereo pair for my Apple TV/Bravia for when I’m just watching the YouTube. I can’t accommodate a sound bar, so this will do nicely. 

Impressive build quality also. 

On 2/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, rantan said:

Is this another spying device like the Google and Amazon things?

How ironic we go to great lengths to make sure we don't have spyware on our computers and yet we actually pay money to have spy devices in our homes listening in to everything that is said or done.

However @Sime is correct, the choice is an individual one.

Actually Apple is very protective of privacy, famously even they can not decrypt the data, much to the displeasure of the FBI. 

Amazon and Google I have less trust in ?

• Like 2

@Chill3 meh, they could listen to me all day if they liked, but if at any time the trigger words were alerted to by me saying bomb Parliament House and I got raided, kudos to them.  

21 hours ago, Chill3 said:

Actually Apple is very protective of privacy, famously even they can not decrypt the data, much to the displeasure of the FBI. 

Amazon and Google I have less trust in ?

Spooky, was only just thinking poor old Edgar j was alive at the wrong time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a good little unit, sure you need Apple Music, but it’s nice to just walk in the room and say, hey Siri, play some music and away she goes. 

1 hour ago, Sime said:

it’s nice to just walk in the room and say, hey Siri, play some music

Serious question. Do you not feel a bit of a fool saying that in an empty room? The last time I was back at my Mum's place in England my sister had set up Alexa for her. I'd never heard of it so my sis explained and said "Alexa, what's the time?" to show me how it all worked. I felt such an utter goose asking a machine a question. Needless to say too the only question I asked which was "What's 100 psi in bar?" ( my bicycle pump at the old house is in bar not psi) Alexa replied; "Sorry but I can't help you with that"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
Guest Sime

Apple Airplay 2 was released today so we can now finally make a stereo pair with two homepods, so I’ve ordered a 2nd online at JB and will pick it up in a few hours. This will be interesting. 

Edited by Sime

3 hours ago, Sime said:

Apple Airplay 2 was released today so we can now finally make a stereo pair with two homepods, so I’ve ordered a 2nd online at JB and will pick it up in a few hours. This will be interesting. 

any 3rd party streaming services come online with latest upgrade? Until it plays Spotify or Tidal I can't justify a 3rd streaming subscription. My integrated forces me into Tidal and my Optus phone account gives un-metered Spotify.

4 hours ago, Sime said:

@blybo it will never do third party. Apple will only want Apple Music to be used. 

I think/hope they may cave in. You can have tidal and spotify on your phone after all.

There are walled gardens and then there is pig headedness. I think the number of people willing to only have 1 source on their speaker will dry up pretty quick.

Guest Sime

@blybo HomePod is a product specifically designed to sell AppleMusic subscriptions, much the same as Nespresso machines are designed to sell Coffee pods. Nespresso sell machines themselves, but they will never price match or sell at a discount. They do not care where you buy a coffee machine, as long as you own one and spend money on coffee. 

Apple know the fanboys will buy one, and that will lead to a subscription. It’s all about Apple Music. 

You also have to remember that homepod is not a core product, but a supplement to their ecosystem. 

Edited by Sime

11 hours ago, Sime said:

Stereo pair out of Apple home pods, just don't understand why someone would bother?

• Like 2

Guest Sime

@Hi-Fi Whipped its a system I use when my main system is off. When I’m working, my system doesn’t get used at all till my days off. Having a little system sitting there that’s as simple as “hey Siri, play some music” is handy. It’s on all the time, just waiting. And it sounds ok too. 

On 30/05/2018 at 5:23 PM, blybo said:

I think/hope they may cave in. You can have tidal and spotify on your phone after all.

There are walled gardens and then there is pig headedness. I think the number of people willing to only have 1 source on their speaker will dry up pretty quick.

You can use Tidal and Spotify with Homepod -  I do it all the time, just airplay from an iphone or ipad - its not as cool as just asking for music from across the room, but just start a playlist and all good.  Now with Airplay 2 you can stream, from phone or ipad to multi airplay 2 speakers as well 

If you android phones and tablets - well then your out of luck ATM

Now that Airplay 2 is out I will add a second Homepod to the system as well, sure there not in the same class as true hifi, not first choice for a listening session, but as a way to listen to music while doing other things / moving around or for a get together  with family / friends  I find them superior in many ways to the main system

WHY !!! you say 

There effectively omnidirectional,  so have no sweet spot, the sound is good in the whole room and even in the adjoining rooms, they are small so easy to position and at a function a bit of fun with every one being able to request a favourite song.    

Great addition to music in the home IMO