Apple HomePod pre-orders start 27/1

Guest Sime

Anyone going to buy one of these?  I’ve been using the Google Home reluctantly, great device but sounds terrible. Going by the specs of the HomePod, and it’s integration with Apple Music, it’ll be for me, a great little system to use here when the main system is off. Apparently later on in the year, you’ll be able to connect 2 together to make a stereo pair. 

I do think it’ll sound great for what it is, looking forward to receiving it on the 9th Feb, I think it’ll be at a cost of $499.  

At 2.5kg, seems like it’ll be a solid build also. 

8796E999-0E74-4847-B925-0AACC5754D44.png

BA6DE9E4-F699-4928-95DA-FBF2F8F2E1E8.png

Got one coming on the 9th as well, some reasonable review of the sound quality emerging - saw one where it was compared ( in not yet available stereo mode ) and was according to the author equal or  better than a Kef X300A system

The smart stuff - not so fused about- have a google Home and to honest its very limited in ability and so the fun goes quickly ! Wife calls it dum google !  

Only use it now to adjust the lights

Edited by Chill3
  • Like 1

Looks great for a kitchen or office. Clever way to sell more Apple Music subscriptions. I just never use Siri on my phone, just feels weird talking to an inanimate object. My wife talks to it all the time. You think I would be jealous but it means less jobs for me.

Roon users note you can set up Airplay devices as a zone so should work well with your library/Tidal through Roon.

35 minutes ago, Sime said:

Im looking forward to this more than any other apple new release.

Yep - imagine ( not going to happen from what I have heard ) but lets just dream :

5 X Apple Home Pod +  wireless sub all controlled and feed by an Apple  TV - that would be a very very cool and compact HT / Music system indeed !

Bit more room in the Van :)

@Chill3 funnily enough, if I took my big System out of the van, I wouldn’t gain any extra space. 

But yes, if the managed to pull off wireless 5.1 with Apple TV, that would be epic. 

On 1/31/2018 at 2:44 PM, Sime said:

Im looking forward to this more than any other apple new release.

This the one that interests me least. I already have a couple of bluetooth or WiFi speakers, I just can't get excited by another just because it speaks to Siri. I'll actually be pissed off if Sonos go down this road too, and cripple their app for voice recognition etc

@blybo Siri is the last thing I’m buying this for, it’s a good speaker in its class is it’s draw card. All I want is Siri, play such n such. 

Some reviews. 

But would you replace a Sonos Play 1/3/5  or Bluesound powered speaker to have this? I'm listening to a single Play 1 in my shop now, and it's more than good enough for background music.

I guess control being a part of the phone or ipads OS would be the biggest benefit.

Edited by blybo

10 minutes ago, Sime said:

@blybo can’t replace what I don’t own. 

And that's the rub. I'm sure it's great at what it does, and fantastic for you because you don't already have a similar device... but I suspect this market has already been tapped by Sonos, Bluesound, Heos et al, and only fanbois or someone new to this market space will be interested. Still there's plenty of fanbois out there. I could eventually be talked into a 5.1 version of this as my family room only has my 2ch system in there and watching TV off centre can be annoying.

Awesome, you do what you want to do and I’ll do the same, fanboy or not :thumb:

honestly I liked this discussion till the word fandoi, as per usual, rears it’s pointless head in an Apple discussion. 

Really? 

Its a a good speaker that down the line will be more functional, I’ll enjoy mine immensely. 

Edited by Sime

1 hour ago, Sime said:

honestly I liked this discussion till the word fandoi, as per usual, rears it’s pointless head in an Apple discussion. 

Really? 

Its a a good speaker that down the line will be more functional, I’ll enjoy mine immensely. 

+ 1

I hope you enjoy the new speaker Sime... hope you haven't let others put you off.

JSmith :ninja:

1 hour ago, Sime said:

Really? 

you know I'm a relative fanboi myself, and I didn't criticise you for your purchase, I just can't justify 1 when I already have a play 3 at home