Best OLED, LG vs Sony vs Panasonic

Hi. Is there a clear cut winner in terms of OLED TVs yet?

Is it worth waiting for the new models?

A friend is finally replacing the 12 year old plasma I gave him a few years ago.

Budget is $5k. Hopefully buys a 65” from what I’ve seen.

I know they’re all LG screens but apparently that doesn’t make LG best. 

The Sonys are the best, (mainly the motion processing) but also the dearest. The LG's the best bang for buck and doesn't have any major deficits. The Panasonic has good colour calibration but then completely implodes with intermittent stutter on 50Hz feeds and the black frame insertion picture modes convert everything to 60Hz, so you have 2:3 pull down judder (jerky movement) on movies (this is one of my pet hates, but some people don't notice it). IIRC correctly the Pana also lacks an anti-reflective filter.

All models can suffer from banding on low contrast images, albeit the Sonys seem to have fewer issues reported (perhaps because they're selling much fewer). Note it's not like LCD/LED competition doesn't have it's own issues with banding, uneven lighting and DSE. Also some instances of yellow or other colour tinges - many cases seem to settle after 100 hours use and/or tweaking the settings.

• Love 1

Mike13

I bought a panasonic EZ950 65" during boxing day sales at David Jones.  $4000 delivered and installed less 10% in gift card vouchers.

My wife and I are very happy.

However, the Sony and LG were never contenders for us for peculiar reasons (the remote is programmed for panasonic, we hate LG and we find Sony logic for remotes counter intuitive - well foreign).

The TV is such a significant advance on our 2008 Panasonic plasma (V10).

We have been watching Tennis and cricket, and there can be some motion blur with the ball depending on the rate of descent/movement.  However, we couldn't care less.  We haven't seen the banding yet - perhaps it is there but subtle, perhaps we haven't got it yet.

If the Sony or LG are as good or better, then they are fine TVs.

The next version of OLEDs will be out soon, but it will perhaps be a while before they fall below $5000 for a 65" TV, unlike the current version.

Benje

Agree on the sony processing being the best as it  uses  a 14bit processor which helps a lot with remapping UHD to the nit level of the tv ; which is very high for this sony UHD unlike an oled https://www.sony.com/electronics/full-hd-4k-upscaling-tvs

Trying to hunt down a x9300 led as its got the same processor as the sony oled and has the best sony local dimming; better than the sony fald model :winky: If I didn't have a 3d projector the pana 780 etc are the only 2017 with 3d ; next years its gone iirc...

The new LG oleds and new Panasonics have  improved calibration controls  ; the LG'S have 3d cube lut's ; something lumagen radiance standalones use.. 

4 hours ago, Benje said:

We have been watching Tennis and cricket, and there can be some motion blur with the ball depending on the rate of descent/movement.

Great price Benje and great you’re happy with it. Motion blur might be an issue if he watches a lot of sport.

I think you’re right about the new line up. Will have to pay full price for a fair few months. 

1 hour ago, cwt said:

better than the sony fald model :winky:

Interesting. I didn’t think any non OLED could compare to an OLED as it is supposed to be such a big improvement.

Any thoughts on the Samsung OLED equivalent?

1 hour ago, Mike13 said:

Interesting. I didn’t think any non OLED could compare to an OLED as it is supposed to be such a big improvement.

Any thoughts on the Samsung OLED equivalent?

The main advantage of an oled over a led is the black levels as there is no backlighting needed , so it can just turn the relevant pixels off :) the best leds with the most local dimming zones can come closer than a cheaper edge lit with say one strip of leds for example . The 9300 has multiple zone plates and multiple edge lit leds so it comes close for black levels and has around 1500nits for HDR compared to oleds considerably lower count. That's not to say that the oleds black levels don't help specular HDR highlights though [ like a space scene where stars are easy to pick out against a black backdrop']

Oleds nit levels work well in bat caves :cool:

Samsung are realising their qleds aren't in the same ballpark as an oled and new 2018 ones have more local dimming zones and tech to improve their black levels [ like the sony's and pana's do already ] Its not just "colour volume'' that's important ..

Samsung only spoke vaguely about QLED technology, but a few months ago it revealed a key change for its future QLED TVs concerning backlighting. While Samsung’s 2017 QLEDs were edge-lit, the 2018 models are set to feature direct, local-dimming backlighting instead, allowing the brand to push brightness to over 2000 nits.

Our demo proved that the technology offered significant improvement on 2017 models, delivering particularly impressive black level performance – an aspect of the picture which let down the QLED models we saw last year. While Samsung’s QE55Q7F and QE65Q7F TVs impressed us, and stand as a good advert for QLED technology, their sacrificing of black level performance for colour vibrancy, alongside slight motion and viewing angle issues, proved slightly concerning.

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2018-new-samsung-tvs-feature-8k-qled-microled-bixby-voice-control-hdr10#uQKLaHR6lhp4BxEI.99

Edited by cwt

Mike13

we watch a lot of sport.  A LOT!

AFL, NFL, NBL, Tennis, F1, NBA, even the Darts! and the cricket.

You would need to be picky (which you are entitled to be if your eyesight can pick it up) to find a fault that would put you off watching.

12 hours ago, Benje said:

we watch a lot of sport.  A LOT!

AFL, NFL, NBL, Tennis, F1, NBA, even the Darts! and the cricket.

I can see a trail of the ball in most sports, like AFL and tennis. You do get used to it though. Are you from England? For some reason I associate that with darts :)

I had a budget of 3k.... and after close inspection of LG, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony instore, i decided on the Q7 65" and it had come down from 3900, to 3500 and was on sale thursday for $2996 at JB-FI and i got it in the end for $2850. Pretty happy with it

2 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Looks like Samsung is still behind the 8 ball. 8k already, though! I haven’t got 4K yet. 

Marketing something we don't need as theres practically no native 8k material Mike . We have the important elements now ; WCG and HDR . I don't fancy upgrading to thicker hdmi cables for 8k with hdmi 2.1either :winky:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Benje said:

The darts appeals to my sense of technique/numeracy/competition.

Good social/pub game too. Used to play all the time in uni. Seems to have moved out of the pubs these days. 

5 minutes ago, aussiebalboa said:

I had a budget of 3k.... and after close inspection of LG, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony instore, i decided on the Q7 65" and it had come down from 3900, to 3500 and was on sale thursday for $2996 at JB-FI and i got it in the end for $2850. Pretty happy with it

I just walked out of JB. Great price if it compares - the OLEDs are more like $4.5k. 

The Panasonic display seemed the best picture. But in-store it is really hard to tell. I’d rather go with others reviews. 

Not sure if you looked at the firefox menus on the Panasonic, but i didnt like it. The Picture was excellent ( i still dont think compares to Samsung Q7 or Q9) and for 75" ...the panasonic run out could have been had for about $3200... Which i entertained, but i went with what i thought looked better to me in the flesh. 

16 minutes ago, aussiebalboa said:

I think the clarity on 4k is "too good" almost in some instances where you can see the make up on male actors, blackheads on their nose etc. Somethings are just not meant to be seen. lol

I used to think that about 1080 LCDs. Which is why my  last TV purchase was the last Panasonic plasma.

My mates TV he is replacing is actually my old Plasma from 2006. Was an outstanding TV and so is my current one.

Considering the step up, I think you’re right about not going wrong with any brand. 

26 minutes ago, cwt said:

Marketing something we don't need as theres practically no native 8k material Mike . We have the important elements now ; WCG and HDR . I don't fancy upgrading to thicker hdmi cables for 8k with hdmi 2.1either :winky:

That’s what I thought with 4k, but then I saw 4k movies in JB. Are those still considered Blu-ray?

I also loved JB HI FI's " Extended Warranty Based on Value" - So the Q7 Was 12 month Manufacturer, plus 18 months JB warranty based on Value.. So 2.5 years, paid for it on my VISA which doubles the warranty period. Samsung's Q7 is their version of OLED. So i personally couldnt tell the difference between that and the $4k Sony. So for 2800 it was a pretty easy decision in the end. like i said, as a man, we are always tempted to go bigger and the Panasonic tempted me for the price of $300-400 more to get the extra 10" ...but the picture and the menu/interface put me off. 

4 hours ago, Mike13 said:

That’s what I thought with 4k, but then I saw 4k movies in JB. Are those still considered Blu-ray?

The moniker is 4k ultrahd . They have a higher resolution wider colour gamut and HDR ; heres a synopsis ;

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16752

Its worth mentioning that there is 2 different nit mastering levels for the discs depending on what production company produces them. So bit mapping to a displays limits is very important :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, Mike13 said:

Hi. Is there a clear cut winner in terms of OLED TVs yet?

Is it worth waiting for the new models?

A friend is finally replacing the 12 year old plasma I gave him a few years ago.

Budget is $5k. Hopefully buys a 65” from what I’ve seen.

I know they’re all LG screens but apparently that doesn’t make LG best. 

LG. It isn't even close.

• Like 1

True story. 

I bought a Sony FALD ZD9 and an LG C7 OLED both in 65" about 8 months apart. 

Never had an issue with the ZD9 but the missus' OTT watching of ABC 24 meant some noticeable image retention on my old FullHD plasma, so I swapped it out for the ZD9. No more image retention. 

I was considering the LG OLED for her but fears of image retention changed my mind - so I got the new OLED. for my game room 

Then some guy posted images of video banding and I tested it on my OLED panel. It didn't seem as bad as some of the worst I'd seen but once u see it, it is kinda hard to unsee it. 

On the flip side, I am noticing the cheats on the FALD. There's a bloom on the Netflix logo against a black background for instance. Same scene is inky black crisp edges on the same logo. 

Then two days ago, we got a Loewe OLED into the store. I saw the pricelist and I thought - boy, must take a guy with a lot more money than sense to buy one of those.

The RRP on a 55" OLED from Loewe is a dollar off $5grand.

So then I had it set up. Sound bar was small and reasonably decent sounding, as you'd expect from a Loewe and the 5.1 wireless speaker system was pretty nifty - which utilised the sound bar as a centre speaker. 

But what struck me was the vertical banding or the lack of it. I even got a customer to sit next to me to watch the increasing grey scale banding test on youtube. He couldn't see it either. 

I don't know if I got a golden sample or if Loewe cherry picks their panels.