Hey everyone,

Since January this year, I've made some upgrades to my system which I'd like to share with you.

Pre-amplifier

I purchased a new Ypsilon PST100 MkII Silver Wiring version from the Ypsilon dealer Telos Audio. This is easily the best amplifier I have ever heard. I owned a non-silver version a few years ago and sold it to raise money and lamented that sale ever since. I will never change from this pre-amp. It uses high quality transformers to do its job and the clarity, openness & purity is startling. Big investment but a life time of pleasure to be had.

Power Amplifier

Most of the amplifiers that I have owned in the last 15 years have been reasonably low powered single ended Class A types. There's a direct connection and realism that this type of topology gives me that I love. However, despite their efficiency, I discovered long ago that Avantgarde horns really need a bit of power to produce head room and create that huge soundstage that they are capable of. So I've been using a world class solid state amplifier with wonderful results. However, the dream amplifier for me is a single ended valve amp that can produce 100W+ pure Class A power. These beasts are very rare and VERY expensive. The two that I have heard that blew me away were the Ypsilon SET100's ($120K) and the Wavac SH-833 ($350K) but they represent significant outlays and there are other system priorities (room) that have to be addressed before going there. One day, I saw an ad on Stereonet for a set of used AM833S amplifiers (imported by Osborne Loudspeakers) that were almost new and I bought them immediately. 130W of Single Ended Triode pure Class A sound - these are rare and in my opinion, crazy value. So into the system they went.

DAC & Digital

My Line Magnetic DAC punches way above its weight and I will always recommend it for people with a $2K budget. However, when I replaced my amplification, especially when I installed the Ypsilon, my digital source developed a bad case of 'digitisis'. I needed to make some changes to the DAC so I can return to a smoother, more resolved sound without losing any dynamics. I listened to some well-recommended DACs but wasn't really blown away and then a solution came completely from left field. A friend of mine showed me a highly modified Oppo Blue-Ray player which uses the latest chip sets but in this case, among internal dampening and other electronic circuit upgrades, they have disconnected the whole output stage and ran the signal out through a pair of installed amorphous core transformers. The resultant player has a liquid sound that caught me off guard. I bought one, got the mods done and it sounds wonderful. So now, I have the choice of playing an actual CD, switching to my 4TB server or an external hard drive where I collect high resolution digital music. And all of them go through this wonderful modified DAC & transformer output to the preamp. Best of every world.

Cables

After over a year of slowly working on my DIY cable project, I've shelved it and instead bought some Duelund interconnects and speaker cables which give the system some tone and naturalness. Combined with the purity of the amps and the speed and dynamics of the horns, these cables are a great match.

Power Distribution

I have two independent circuit, dedicated lines coming in from the street. I now have a Shunyata Guardian feeding my power intensive new amps and a Shunyata Hydra distribution block feeding the rest of the circuit. All power cables are now Shunyata Pythons, Cobras, etc. I did some listening tests with various cable brands and different levels of cables within each brand and only chose ones that made a positive difference to the sound. The noise floor is now inaudibly low and the system dynamics have been improved.

Isolation Platforms

A good friend of mine made these isolation platforms that utilise a carefully researched and selected combination of special foam and wood. The effect on my system has been so positive, I literally placed one under almost every component.

In summary, a great round of upgrades and the system is singing like never before. I feel I am very close to end of the road.

One of my great pleasures is still playing music to whoever I manage to convince to sit with me.

Quick summary:

Analogue Source

• Michelle Orbe SE turntable with the Gert Pedersen Upgrades
  • Schroeder CB Tonearm
  • Phasemation PP-2000 Phono Cartridge
  • Enklein Amphora phono cable
  • RCM Sensor 2 Phono Preamplifier
  • Townshend Seismic Isolation Platform

Digital Source

• Innuos Zenith Mk II 4TB server
  • Enklein Trek USB cable
  • Highly modified opportunity blue ray player operating as a transport and DAC to all other digital sources.
  • Solid-state hard drive with high resolution music collection.
  • Spiral Groove Strange Attractors

Amplification

• Ypsilon PST100 MkII Silver Version Pre-amp
  • AM833S 130W Power Amp (4 chassis)

Speakers

• Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Mezzo XD

Cables

• Duelund 16AWG speaker cables & interconnects

Power Distribution

• Shunyata Research Hydra & Guardian distribution blocks
  • Shunyata Research Python, Black Mamba, Anaconda cables

Other:

• Great music, wine, family & friends

I will try to post my Jan system for reference below in the thread.

Hope you folks are enjoying your systems as much as I am enjoying mine.

Cheers, George.

5.JPG

4.JPG

4.1.JPG

3.JPG

4.2.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Edited by MusicLover69
Upgraded the Amplifier, DAC, Cables, Power Distribution
  • Like 29

That looks fabulous, George.  And your old "cast-offs" are still going strong and providing much fun and pleasure over this way.

I'll chase you up when I'm next in Melbourne and see if I can arrange an audition of what I can aspire to.

And I trust you still have my phone number for when you want to move stuff on again?

7 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

Hi George,

Nice system and pics!

How are you finding the Michelle Orbe compared to the Spiral groove you used to have?

Hi, 

Thank you. The two turntables are quite different in nature. I really liked the Spiral Groove because it really communicated the rhythm in the music. It had a great sense of propulsion and timing. If I knew that I would get back into audio, I definitely would have kept it because the new ones are over $30K. The standard Orbe has a smaller soundstage but more of a detailed, precise sound. However, with the Gert Pedersen upgrade, the Orbe improves dramatically & transforms into a world class turntable. I bought this Orbe with the intention of doing the upgrade as a cheaper way of achieving a high quality sound, and I believe that I have achieved this.

Cheers, George.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, msetjadi said:

nice system, did it take time to order townshend platform? i am considering to get one for my speaker.

Hi, the Townshend people were great to deal with. I bought them on two occasions direct from Townshend in the UK and as soon as they received my payment, they dispatched them from stock the next day. I recommend them highly. Cheers, George.

On 23/01/2018 at 8:36 PM, Tony M said:

That looks fabulous, George.  And your old "cast-offs" are still going strong and providing much fun and pleasure over this way.

I'll chase you up when I'm next in Melbourne and see if I can arrange an audition of what I can aspire to.

And I trust you still have my phone number for when you want to move stuff on again?

Hi Tony!

Really good to hear from you as you are in my mind from time to time. I have been intending to actually visit you but I haven't travelled to Adelaide in recent times.

I hope that the Red babies are still thrilling you with their sound. When I decided to get back into audio (I had sold everything), I auditioned over 15 different speakers/systems and wasn't particularly enthused. It wasn't until I sat in front of a set of horns again that I got that excited feeling again....so here I am with another set.....& very happy indeed. 

Please contact me when you are next in Melbourne and perhaps send me a PS with your phone number in case I don't have it. I look forward to meeting you in person one day. All the best, George.

14 hours ago, SimonS said:

So.... does this mean you may sell the EMiA (jackson/slagel) phonostage? - i doubt it !

I really don't want to. It's the kind of rare thing that you should always keep in your collection.

As you heard, it's very special........but as I kept making changes to my system, it lost the synergy.

I reluctantly bought a new phono-stage because the EMIA wasn't matched well to the cartridge & amplification that I am running now.

But in a different kind of system it would be a killer. 

I don't know mate, I don't want to sell it but I don't have room for a second system and I don't want it to sit in a cupboard either.

I'll have a think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/24/2018 at 8:59 PM, MusicLover69 said:

I'm upset that I sold it!!

Whilst I don't normally chime in on these threads, I thought I'd let you know your old Immedia TT is still going strong George. I'm enjoying it very much. I am a bit surprised people are still interested in the deck, given its been a few years since you sold it.. 

Hey George, from one Mezzo owner to another - you have a beautiful system. Like you, I listen to mine almost every night and it excites every time. Noting we have implemented our horns in quite different ways, it would be an interesting exercise to compare (albeit impractical).  Enjoy! :wub:

Sean  

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...