Sign in to follow this  
aussiebalboa

Sold my 3D Plasma, what now?

So i got a 4K TCL 50" for the bedroom. Good front on for $550.. no good from the side, but picture and sound wise - and feature wise zero complaints... for the past month, ive been thinking my Samsung 8000 64 inch 3D tv is entering it's 6th year and with the amount we watch it - its prob had closer to 8 years of use.  So i decided to put my TV on Ebay and set a price of $1000 ( i think i paid about $3200 for it 5 years ago)  and said to myself "if i get an offer with a 9 in front of it, ill sell it" ..1 week on ebay i got offers of $500, $600, $750 and $800. Today I got an offer of $920. lol. so i've sold it pending pick up next weekend. NOW the question is, what do i buy it's place? Ive research Hisense N7 75" 4k  (which seems to be non HDR)recently reduced from $3k to $2400... Im fine to stay between 65 - 75k inch. My budget is firm $2500 - So would you recommend the Hisense, or something else? 

Dan

Wait till late April early May if you can, as that's when all the current model TV's that are going to be replaced with newer models, will be heavily discounted so the warehouses can be emptied before the replacement models hit Aus shores, which is usually mid June.

This happens every year.

To check which models might be getting superseded, have a look at any current model you might be interested in, then go to a C.E.S 2018 show report of new models from that manufacturer that were shown, or at least announced at the show, that will give you a good idea on which current models will be getting the heavy discount.

Occasionally these discounts start a bit earlier, say end of March, so just keep and eye out.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Hisense.

I'd love to think the family could go without a tv for 3-4 months, but its not very realistic, so i'll have to just do my research and crunch down as much as i can...

Looking at 

LG 65C7T 65" 4K UHD HDR Smart OLED TV  - could get it for $4100, but still about $1500 more than i want to spend. 

Samsung MU7000 65" Premium 4K UHD HDR Smart LED LCD TV - fits under $2500 (saw it was around $2k in black friday sales, so would love to try get for about 2k if i can) 

Samsung Q7 Series 7 65" 4K UHD HDR QLED LCD TV - $3700 at JB, but found online for $3100. Could justify $600 more over budget. Havent really researched the difference between the MU7000 and the Q7 at this point. I actually remember getting David Jones to price match 5 years ago when i bought this Samsung...cheapest was 4300 anywhere in retail, david jones matched an online store for $3500. 

Might try it again for the Q7... i think it would be a good deal for $3100. 

OLED if you can, 65" have been as low as $3500 (LG C7T @ Myer Boxing Day sale)

Otherwise, Sony 65" X9000E has been as low as $2350 (Videopro eBay 20% sale)

I got the C7 65” OLED for $3555 including delivery. 

I honestly dont think the OLED is that much better than my Sony ZD9 tho the ZD9 was about a grand more on offer about 7 months ago. 

I do worry about burn in on the OLED. 

I had to replace my 60ST50 plasma after noticing the image retention of the ABC News 24 logo on the tv. Rubbing the white bar scroll on the Advanced TV settings seems to be working to reduce the effect. 

So my ZD9 is serving regular TV duties and the OLED is going to the less used gaming system

I bought a Panasonic EX780 65" around the end of Nov, that cost me around $2500, maybe a bit less, I got a deal on it with a Panasonic 4k Disc player, the two cost me $2650 from Bing Lee.

Seems the 65" is a bit thin on the ground, but quite a few of the 75" models still around.....Plus these are 3D models, possibly the last ones to be made?

JB had a Panasonic EX780 75"  for $3600, but i could have got it for $3400. In the end, there was absolutely no comparison image wise with the Samsung Q7. It was unbelievable. Menus, interface etc was superior with Samsung by far. I went the 65" which i managed to get for under $2900 (JB Advertising it for $2986) and whilst i would have loved the 75" ...for an extra $1500, im going to put that into my home theatre upgrade.

What now?  I'd say you enjoy your smaller energy bill.  :D 

I was an unemployed bum for a while so my 55in plasma was getting a decent workout, but now that I'm back at work my latest electricity bill is $60 less than the last one, and the TV is about the only thing I can contribute that to.  :lol:

Edited by Monk

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, aussiebalboa said:

LG 65C7T 65" 4K UHD HDR Smart OLED TV 

Myer had these going in a recent sale for $3499 and JB $3998... so may be able to negotiate a better deal.

JSmith :ninja:

5 hours ago, aussiebalboa said:

JB had a Panasonic EX780 75"  for $3600, but i could have got it for $3400. In the end, there was absolutely no comparison image wise with the Samsung Q7. It was unbelievable. Menus, interface etc was superior with Samsung by far. I went the 65" which i managed to get for under $2900 (JB Advertising it for $2986) and whilst i would have loved the 75" ...for an extra $1500, im going to put that into my home theatre upgrade.

You may want to invest some of that saving in a calculator...... :blush:

I meant the 75 in the Q7 which was 4400.

Thanks mate.. I originally planned to wait till then but don't think the family can go without a tv for next 2-3 months... might just try knock them down best I can. Read one of the other threads. I prefer to stick to Samsung but some of the Sony's look good value too.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:43 PM, aussiebalboa said:

You should invest part of the money saved on getting a calibration meter and software, then your covered for both being able to calibrate the new TV, but also any other TV's & monitors around the house, plus any further visual upgrades in years to come......if you calibrate on just one input, and keep what were the standard settings on another and switch between them to compare, you will be shocked to see how far out from D65 and correct Grey scale your new TV is/ was out of the box....I know I was with my Panasonic [not so much the colour, but the Grey scale was hugely out]

There's something very satisfying about looking at a calibrated screen and knowing it's as good as it's going to be, you also tend to notice things in movies that you missed before

Can you recommend equipment and or someone local that can calibrate in Melbourne? 

10 minutes ago, aussiebalboa said:

Can you recommend equipment and or someone local that can calibrate in Melbourne? 

The equipment is easy enough to get.

You want a Xrite i1Display meter, which you can get from Image Science in Melbourne, probably a few other places as well.....You really want to get the meter first, as you will need to know the serial number to register it with the software.

https://imagescience.com.au/products/calibrators/calibrator-recommendations

As for software, I use ChromaPure standard, which you can buy and download from the site below.....USA$200.....it has the test patterns built into the software, and they change to the correct ones needed during measurement.

http://www.chromapure.com/products-chromapure-new.asp

I bought ChromaPure because it has a very well written and easy to understand "Calibration for Dummies" thread at the curt Palmer CRT site.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

If you want to calibrate for 4K you will need a different set of specialized test patterns.

These can be got for USA $25 and downloaded from the site below[The UHD/HDR-10 ones].......the file opens with WinZip in case they haven't amended the instructions yet, you get two different file formats and just install them onto a USB Flash drive and read them off that.

https://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_uhdhdr-10.html

To get your TV calibrated would cost you  about $200 less than buying all the equipment above from price I hear that are being charged, plus it's not really worth doing until the set has run in a bit, as the circuitry needs to stabilize  ....playing a lot of 4K and 3D content will make that happen faster, but usually at least wait about a month to 6 weeks before doing it.

Tweaky, so i'd be looking at $350 for the unit, $200 Chromapure and additional $25 for 4K? So looking at about $600 to calibrate it? I'd prob just pay someone else to do it once and do the theatre & tv at same time. lol. 

Yeah, you could.

But settings drift over time, so after about a year or less those calibrated settings would be out.......so another $400......or, DIY for Zilch, which saves you $200 for the 2nd calibration.

IMHO, far better money spent on being able to DIY

Plus you can calibrate the TV for different viewing times, a brighter setting when watching in a light filled room, and classic 'Cinema mode' for subdued night time viewing.

Edited by Tweaky