How big is my room? (speaker selection)

Wasn't completely sure where to put this thread, so mods if you think it ought to be moved somewhere else, no worries.

The question probably sounds a bit weird, as I have measurements for the size of my room, but due to its shape and layout I'm not really sure whether it's actually a medium sized room, or will behave more like a small room.

Check out the attached pic for the current setup.
ApartmentSizing.jpg.565578b44d3cf3e868ab3af25fc7256d.jpg

The red bits are where the main speakers are at the moment. Centre sits in the cab directly under  the TV, and the surrounds are either side of the couch (which I drew a little too long).

So total area is around 19m^2, but the main listening area is probably more like a 12m^2 area.

At the moment my setup is Wharfedale 8.4 main and matching centre, with some Q Accoustic 3020s doing duties in the rear; sub is a SVS PB1000.

I've been looking for a while for an upgrade for the front speakers (initially keen to give the matching Q Accoustic 'standers a go) but have really been wondering if I'm better off looking at some standmounters for this space, especially since I can use the sub to fill in the bottom end.

Then the other day I saw some Whatmough P32s going at a reasonable price. I've always loved the look of them, and TBH I regret selling the little Opus 20s I had last year.

I can't help but feel that as tempting as they are, the P32's will be way too much for this space though, what are your thoughts?

Wow, quite problematic. You're so close to the speakers You probably need a a small speaker array at the front an some bi-poles at the rear. Are movies your main concern or music? The problem is you have reflection & bass reinforcement on one side and none on the other. I can help, message me if you like. 

On 23/01/2018 at 1:12 AM, magical said:

Wow, quite problematic. You're so close to the speakers You probably need a a small speaker array at the front an some bi-poles at the rear. Are movies your main concern or music? The problem is you have reflection & bass reinforcement on one side and none on the other. I can help, message me if you like. 

Usage is probably 50/50 movies and music, but the performance I currently get for movies doesn't really leave me wanting much, it's the 2ch performance that I find lacking, and that's what I'm aiming to improve.

One thing I forgot to mark too is that the 3m wall at the bottom of the image is actually the opening onto the balcony: 2m of full height glass windows and a glass sliding door in the middle that is regularly open when listening too.

I'm sure that doesn't simplify things though!

Usage is probably 50/50 movies and music, but the performance I currently get for movies doesn't really leave me wanting much, it's the 2ch performance that I find lacking, and that's what I'm aiming to improve.

One thing I forgot to mark too is that the 3m wall at the bottom of the image is actually the opening onto the balcony: 2m of full height glass windows and a glass sliding door in the middle that is regularly open when listening too.
I'm sure that doesn't simplify things though!

What you mention seems that you most likely using AVR as stereo as well for both HT and stereo. The overall current placement look similar to mine except Indo not have the window part of it.

Can you describe lacking of stereo? If possible split stereo an AVR.

On 26/01/2018 at 7:10 PM, mwml15 said:

Can you describe lacking of stereo? If possible split stereo an AVR.

Do you mean look at using a dedicated 2ch amp for stereo duties? At the moment that's a bit of an issue with space, and if I did go that way the amp would absolutely need to support HT bypass, and work with my universal remote for ease of use.

In terms of what is I feel is lacking in stereo listening, the two things I'd like to see an improvement in are imaging, and clarity/definition in the top end. With the current setup imaging isn't as accurate as I feel it could be, different instruments/vocals seem pretty smeared in the mix.

I also find that the top end isn't as clear as it could be. The wharfedale's are a nice easy listen, but they don't display the detail that I've heard through other speakers. Things like breathy vocals, or a guitarists fingers sliding on the strings; I know they're there in some tracks, but they don't come through on this setup.

Guest yamaha_man

I've had Sasha's in a room similar size to yours and they worked superbly!

I wouldn't be going a small speaker but that's just from my experience.

IMG_4731.PNG

IMG_4732.PNG

So I bought the whatmoughs, they're beautiful...and large.

Haven't set them up yet, but I'm hoping they sound as good here as they did in the place I tried them. Hopefully that will help the better half deal with their, ahh, "presence".