Stan currently watching

On 26/01/2020 at 5:10 PM, cheekyboy said:

Watched about an hour and twenty minutes of this rubbish and that’s 80 minutes I’ll never get back! ? If you like watching violence inflicted on people and animals just for the sake of it, along with filthy language and just for the sake of using that too, as well as watching bloody cross-dressing bush rangers all frocked up and running around the Australian bush shooting police and soldiers............well, you’re probably gunna love this!?

Sorry about the spoilers.

Cheers Keith

thought it was crap. very disappointed

• Like 1

I  watched most of  the  "True History of the Kelly Gang"  - A Stan funded movie starring Russel Crowe.    If you like Australian movies in general you will love this one, but for me as a form of entertainment it misses the mark. It succumbs to the  temptation of  so many  Aussie films  to   be depressing , dark and without hope.   Compared to first rate overseas productions, I think it was a bit  amateurish in the way it was put together.  I think constant voice over narrations in movies sometimes reflect the film maker's inability to   tell  the story  through a powerful script and carefully crafted production.    Ned Kelly was not portrayed as a hero, far from it.  Add in loud punk rock music , a drab and sombre colour palette and the ugliest locations and sets  you could imagine,  the director almost seemed to be determined to ensure no-one would find anything redeeming about the movie itself.  

There is much to commend the movie however, - Russell Crowe is worth watching at any time I think, and  it was refreshing not to go down the hero route with Ned Kelly.   Hopefully others will get  a better impression from watching this than we did. Interested in your thoughts.

Edited by Tasso

44 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I  watched most of  the  "True History of the Kelly Gang"  - A Stan funded movie starring Russel Crowe.    If you like Australian movies in general you will love this one, but for me as a form of entertainment it misses the mark. It succumbs to the  temptation of  so many  Aussie films  to   be depressing , dark and without hope.   Compared to first rate overseas productions, I think it was a bit  amateurish in the way it was put together.  I think constant voice over narrations in movies sometimes reflect the film maker's inability to   tell  the story  through a powerful script and carefully crafted production.    Ned Kelly was not portrayed as a hero, far from it.  Add in loud punk rock music , a drab and sombre colour palette and the ugliest locations and sets  you could imagine,  the director almost seemed to be determined to ensure no-one would find anything redeeming about the movie itself.  

There is much to commend the movie however, - Russell Crowe is worth watching at any time I think, and  it was refreshing not to go down the hero route with Ned Kelly.   Hopefully others will get  a better impression from watching this than we did. Interested in your thoughts.

Hello Tasso, have you read the thread? You only have to go back to my comments on Australia Day to get those thoughts you’re interested in. We obviously don’t agree with each other, but hey, films are a lot a lot like music and can be very subjective I guess, but I thought this movie was an absolute stinker/crap film to the point I couldn’t bring myself to even look at the last 45 minutes.

Cheers Keith

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 5:36 PM, cheekyboy said:

Hello Tasso, have you read the thread? You only have to go back to my comments on Australia Day to get those thoughts you’re interested in. We obviously don’t agree with each other, but hey, films are a lot a lot like music and can be very subjective I guess, but I thought this movie was an absolute stinker/crap film to the point I couldn’t bring myself to even look at the last 45 minutes.

Cheers Keith

I don’t think you quite got what I was saying.   I actually agree with you about how bad the movie was ( as are most other Australian movies IMO) - I simply tried to use an objective approach to the choice of words used - I was probably too subtle as it turned out. 

41 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I don’t think you quite got what I was saying.   I actually agree with you about how bad the movie was ( as are most other Australian movies IMO) - I simply tried to use an objective approach to the choice of words used - I was probably too subtle as it turned out. 

Ah, no, Tasso, I did get what you were saying and you were asking for our thoughts, hence my response which directed you back to my review that I posted on Australia Day. I suppose your comment, "If you like Australian movies in general you will love this one," was what got my attention and that is definitely a subjective perspective, not an objective one. I'm actually in general terms a fan of Australian movies, but this one was an absolute stinker IMHO and if anyone actually liked this movie, I do believe I know where their taste in movies resides!:ohmy:

By saying you think you were "probably too subtle as it turned out," suggests you think we're not clever enough to grasp your erudite discourse. You may well be correct and in my case, almost certainly that would be true, because, I don't post in these particular forums much at all and now I regret even making these posts, so please go ahead and enjoy watching such movies and disregard my obviously uninformed and uneducated opinion.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

27 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

By saying you think you were "probably too subtle as it turned out," suggests you think we're not clever enough to grasp your erudite discourse. 

Not at all. I meant that i was not explicit enough in my comments. If the readers didn't get the point its the author's fault -  they are not mind readers and I am not an expert reviewer.

29 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

was what got my attention and that is definitely a subjective perspective, not an objective one

I did try to put an objective spin on this in that  I find too many Aussie films dark  and depressing .  I heard an interview with Jack Thompson who said that this was done deliberately as it reflects the mood of Australians.    We could easily devote another thread to this topic alone so I'll leave it there.

4 minutes ago, Tasso said:

We could easily devote another thread to this topic alone so I'll leave it there.

Agreed, Tasso and as I said, it was just my opinion and I'll leave these forums alone in the future I think. I was just trying to warn people about what I thought was a stinker of a movie, but if you don't agree with my opinion, I really couldn't care less!................... I will leave it at that,

Good luck with your projects.

Cheers,

Keith

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

. I was just trying to warn people about what I thought was a stinker of a movie, but if you don't agree with my opinion, I really couldn't care less!.....

I don't think you did read what I said - I have actually agreed with you all along about the movie!!  I  stopped watching about the same time you did 

I'm not sure what caused you to take that position but you have indeed misinterpreted me.

Edited by Tasso

11 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I don't think you did read what I said - I have actually agreed with you all along about the movie!!  I'm not sure what caused you to take that position but you have indeed misinterpreted me.

I said I was going to leave it at that, mainly because I’m at home talking about turntables or loudspeakers for example, but I’m not a movie reviewer’s backside to be honest.

You said people who like Australian movies (which includes me) would love this one, but I thought it was an absolute stinker, so clearly, we disagree! OK?

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

• 1 month later...

Great series, Shane, @metal beat and even better now Jimmy is settling into being Saul......it has been a great series and I’m looking forward to E10 next Tuesday. 
Jonathon Banks playing Mike is one of my all time favourite characters in any series.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Great series, Shane, @metal beat and even better now Jimmy is settling into being Saul......it has been a great series and I’m looking forward to E10 next Tuesday. 
Jonathon Banks playing Mike is one of my all time favourite characters in any series.

Cheers Keith

cool Keith.  I started watching S5 at the right time.   using my daughters login as i don't generally watch Stan except for Saul :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Started watching 'Penny Dreadful, City Of Angels'. Set In L.A. in 1938 there are several stories setup so far.

1. The Mexican /  American who is the first 'Latino' to become an L.A. Detective, and the racial significance of that in a mainly Anglo / Saxon police force. To paraphrase something said at one point, 'it's alright to have a **** in uniform, but a detective make us look bad'. This is part of the highlighting of the racial tensions in Southern California between Whites and Mexican / Americans. I guess nothing has changed.

2. An angel and a demon who are fighting for souls and trying to change history

3. The German American Federation, a pro Nazi group who were attempting to show Germany in a positive light to the US of A, and lobbying that America should not have any action in what was happening in Europe at the time.

JJ

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Started watching 'Penny Dreadful, City Of Angels'. Set In L.A. in 1938 there are several stories setup so far.

1. The Mexican /  American who is the first 'Latino' to become an L.A. Detective, and the racial significance of that in a mainly Anglo / Saxon police force. To paraphrase something said at one point, 'it's alright to have a **** in uniform, but a detective make us look bad'. This is part of the highlighting of the racial tensions in Southern California between Whites and Mexican / Americans. I guess nothing has changed.

2. An angel and a demon who are fighting for souls and trying to change history

3. The German American Federation, a pro Nazi group who were attempting to show Germany in a positive light to the US of A, and lobbying that America should not have any action in what was happening in Europe at the time.

JJ

I really enjoyed Penny Dreadful series [2014 - 2016], JJ, so hope this one is as good.

Cheers,

Keith

[PS] New series of Billions is starting on Sunday and really looking forward to that.:thumb:

• Like 1

Hi All,

22 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

I really enjoyed Penny Dreadful series [2014 - 2016], JJ, so hope this one is as good.

Cheers,

Keith

[PS] New series of Billions is starting on Sunday and really looking forward to that.:thumb:

The Director of Finances is a big Billions fan, and also Younger, which starts again later in the month from what I have been told.

JJ

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Comey Rule, on Stan as 2 episodes: Night 1 and Night 2 

Night 2 is the more interesting episode, with the portrayal of Donald Trump figuring prominently against the background of the then FBI director James Comey, and his executive team, striving to maintain the political independence of the FBI.

It's quite a while since I read Comey's book A Higher Loyalty, but I'd offer the comment that these 2 episodes  draw very heavily on the book, though much of the screenplay dialogue must have been surmised or conjectured.

The diametrically opposed personalities of the two leading protagonists Comey and Trump are portrayed very powerfully, and yet with nuance.

In some ways depressing to watch, but very well done in my opinion.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Watched the first 4 episodes of Brave New World  last night, a little light on in content, more a 'water colour' of Huxley's book than an 'oil painting'. Not getting to the nitty-gritty of why this is Utopia, just that it is supposed to be, and you have to fit in, or take a 'Soma' pill to chill out.

Will see if it gets better or continues on the same.

A Beta - so far.

JJ

• 4 weeks later...

If you are into music this is a great doco

Rolling Stone magazine was bible like for rock and roll and politically obsessed young people in the late 60’s and throughout the 70’s

For younger people this could help to understand just what “The 60’s “ were

Great film of Hendrix Tina Turner and others

Part 2 incredible footage of The Sex Pistols The Clash and Bruce Springsteen as very young people 

Just be aware that there is a very sexually explicit bit towards the start of episode 1 

For anyone my age who will know of the event but never expected to see a film of it be prepared to fall over laughing????

2C6DA262-27A5-42BA-8EB8-531F79CBE91D.jpeg

• 1 month later...