Marc

Amazon Alexa Allowed Residency, Feb 1st

Admin

Alexa_Australia.jpg

The long-awaited announcement of Amazon's launch of Alexa and Echo has finally arrived. The voice control giant is now offering the Echo range of smart speakers via pre-order on Amazon Australia, with the service set to go live, February 1st, 2018.

https://www.gadget.net.au/news/amazon-alexa-to-launch-in-australia-next-month

Good to know.I have had alexa show for a w weeks.This will open up some local skills..

Stump

Admin

Oh well...... I guess this sort of spying device is what people want so good luck to them.

I can switch on my own light/s:angel:

24 minutes ago, Stump said:

Any word on the amazon AU app being available for the Amazon Show? It no longer works with the amazon USA app....Has the amazon AU app made a big difference for Amazon Echo users?

I just use the app I could download so it must be the AU app.

Not sure what you think you are missing.

Gosh, there are so many smart speakers these days, it's a bit overwhelming. A bit like choosing a smartphone, I guess. Funnily enough, Apple's HomePod has reportedly been quite unpopular and nowhere close to what the company hoped for with regards to sales. Strange for an Apple product! The biggest fight seems to be between the Echo and Home. Both appear to be fairly similar but I suppose it depends on which company you trust more...Amazon or Google :P The Echo recently had a weird glitch where the voice assistant, Alexa, was said to be giggling randomly during the night... terrifying!

I don't own one right now, but I like the idea of using it for reporting the news headlines, as well as alarms and playing songs and setting a timer. Really don't need it atm, but would definitely be up for getting one perhaps when the tech has been improved a bit more.

On 18/01/2018 at 5:22 PM, rantan said:

Oh well...... I guess this sort of spying device is what people want so good luck to them.

I can switch on my own light/s:angel:

I’m struggling to decide which tech giant I should allow to bug my house.  

I just wish Facebook would release one of these so I could centralise all my spying in one place

Admin

Amazon will have clear market share I am sure based on the number of appliances that have already embraced its platform.

Apple will make it a lot harder for 3rd parties. That is typical Apple and its arrogance will prevent it being the leader IMO.

At least Apple made a speaker worth buying. 

5 minutes ago, Sime said:

At least Apple made a speaker worth buying. 

I’ve not heard it but I’ve read that it actually sounds pretty good

Admin

Sime is right if you're buying on sound quality alone. No argument from me.

Sonos (with Alexa) vs Apple though? Don't know as I haven't compared yet.

@Marc I’ve never heard Sonos, so no comment on that one. I’m basing it on strictly smart speakers (google, amazon and Apple) but anything else with the smarts integrated is another ball game. 

Admin

The privacy concerned aren't going to like this one:

https://www.gadget.net.au/news/alexa-is-listening-and-will-soon-remember

Rach bought a Google Home, erm, home. It was an interesting novelty for 10 minutes but didn't get recharged. I don't know where it is now.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Rach bought a Google Home, erm, home. It was an interesting novelty for 10 minutes but didn't get recharged. I don't know where it is now.

be careful, it's probably emptied your bank account by now and is hacking into your car to make a getaway as we speak :) 

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore