Sign in to follow this  
Johnny_Boy

How to connect new 4k TV with 2k AVR/Projector

Hi,

I am about to purchase a new 4K TV and was wondering how to connect it to use my UHD player for both my projector and new TV.

Current Equipment all running through my AVR

Denon 4311 AVR

- UHD BD Pana UB400

- PS4

- Apple TV

- Fetch Mighty

- 1080p plasma (soon to be replaced with pana 75EX780A)

- Epson 9100w projector. 

The only way i can think of running this setup with my existing gear is with a UHD hdmi switch from my UHD BD player that would connect to the TV and AVR. Then use the Audio return channel function to get sound from the TV to the AVR for netflix etc. This would mean i use two imput's on the AVR for the BD player, one for dedicated audio when displaying on the TV, and a section direct sound/video when using the projector. 

Anyone have a better idea? I don't really want to get a switch if i can be helped. 

setup.jpg

hmm this could be a mess ! 

though you could suck and see and see how go. buy the splitter say from somewhere with a good return policy.

typically while you can run off a dual outs on a 4k uhd player you typically run one hdmi direct to 4k display and other hdmi to AVR for audio only. that can work and just.... for most people. it can still throw up hiccups and issues. here you will have the hdmi splitter and i dont care what anyone says that in itself can introduce issues. i remember with the hd fury i used for a while which is a well acknowledged unit, that in itself would cause me bother at times with dropped hand shakes and such needing me to switch everything off / on again. i was utterly pleased to see back of it. i too run mix of 2k 4k devices. 

i suspect you are using a splitter as it is with the fetch mighty ? as that can throw spanner in works too. see how you go but you might need a cheap one (office works/jaycar) for that and not used as a splitter but to strip hdcp from it to your display ? as the programming of hdcp on the fetch isnt upto scratch.

if using switch on the uhd player i would use a good quality one eg the hd fury integral. however if can i would do without it !  ie direct to display for video and direct to avr for audio. 

curiously you are doing all this because the denon is not hdcp 2.2 hdmi 2 etc however it could also be a blessing and my not throw a barny as one less thing doing the hdcp 2.2 hand shake. 

if wanting to get disc based video to your 1080p projector consider another player eg a cheap laser from jb hifi.

so my overall thoughts ? this could be a mess. suck and see. and wish you luck ! 

7 minutes ago, :) al said:

hmm this could be a mess ! 

though you could suck and see and see how go. buy the splitter say from somewhere with a good return policy.

typically while you can run off a dual outs on a 4k uhd player you typically run one hdmi direct to 4k display and other hdmi to AVR for audio only. that can work and just.... for most people. it can still throw up hiccups and issues. here you will have the hdmi splitter and i dont care what anyone says that in itself can introduce issues. i remember with the hd fury i used for a while which is a well acknowledged unit, that in itself would cause me bother at times with dropped hand shakes and such needing me to switch everything off / on again. i was utterly pleased to see back of it. i too run mix of 2k 4k devices. 

i suspect you are using a splitter as it is with the fetch mighty ? as that can throw spanner in works too. see how you go but you might need a cheap one (office works/jaycar) for that and not used as a splitter but to strip hdcp from it to your display ? as the programming of hdcp on the fetch isnt upto scratch.

if using switch on the uhd player i would use a good quality one eg the hd fury integral. however if can i would do without it !  ie direct to display for video and direct to avr for audio. 

curiously you are doing all this because the denon is not hdcp 2.2 hdmi 2 etc however it could also be a blessing and my not throw a barny as one less thing doing the hdcp 2.2 hand shake. 

if wanting to get disc based video to your 1080p projector consider another player eg a cheap laser from jb hifi.

so my overall thoughts ? this could be a mess. suck and see. and wish you luck ! 

Thanks for the input.

Re Fetch mighty - that connects via standard hdmi connection on the AVR so dont have to worry about that, its only 1080p. 

You hit the nail on the head, the main issue is getting the disk based BD/UBD content to the projector. I do have the PS4 and my old Pioneer BD-51 that could be used as a dedicated player for the projector, and just when i thought i was de-cluttering! 

Conversely i could just hook the UBD player directly to the AVR and just run it in 1080p..... 9 times out of 10 all BD content is viewed on the projector anyway. Cant remember the last time i watched a movie on the TV.