B&W speakers: woofers stuck inward and barely make any noise (after shipping)

Hi all,

I've recently purchased some B&W DM601 S2s however after receiving them, both woofers are stuck inward and have no moment on them.  When hooked up, I can hear a very faint noise from the woofers.   I would guess that the courier may have dropped the box, as the nautilus tube on the back from one of the tweeters was loose inside the speaker box when I received them.

Googling suggested that there may have been magnets internally within the woofer that may have moved.  Is this likely? Is there a fix to this or am I tossing these (the secondhand value on these aren't really worth spending 100s on repair).

Before they were shipped, one woofer was blown (but still moving just fine) and the other one was in perfect working order.

Thanks!

Sounds like the drivers have seized up - coils up against the magnets. Normally due to overdriveing, dropping them could shift the setup but it'd take a big jolt. In any case a new pair of Legends/Monitor Audios/Sonus Fabers and even Krix(not a fan) will fo better.

6 hours ago, Zardoz said:

Googling suggested that there may have been magnets internally within the woofer that may have moved.  Is this likely? Is there a fix to this or am I tossing these (the secondhand value on these aren't really worth spending 100s on repair).

I have a pair of KEF 104/2's. When I had the woofers removed, to replace the dust caps, I noticed that there was no movement in one of them.

I eventually realised, after I had destroyed the paper cone, that the magnet at the rear of the speaker was held in place by glue and the glue had failed. The failure of the glue had allowed the magnet to move, trapping the voice coil and stopping all movement.

With the aide of some shims I was able to reglue the magnet in place with Araldite and then rebuild the speaker with a rebuild kit.

Not familiar with your speaker drivers but if the magnets are held in place with glue rather than  screws or bolts, it could be the case that the glue has failed.

It is possible to get rebuild kits for most speakers but as you say the time and money may not be justifiable.