Advice for fixed screen for daylight viewing and projector

Hi all

Just looking for advice / recommendations for fixed screens that perform well in daylight viewing, but also good for night viewing too.

Is there a high quality recommendation within a budget <$2k for the screen?

And does it need a specific type of projector? Projector budget < $3k.

Or to put it better, budget is $5k for projector and screen. 

Size of 100 inches (or larger if budget allows).

I'm not too fussed on 4K right now, but really good quality full HD 1080 is a must for the projector. 4K is a bonus for future proofing.

I don't really know much about either, so I'm happy to get advice from your experiences and knowledge out there.

Cheers!

You really need to get light control in your room during daylight hours, or spend megabucks on a specialty daylight screen that may still have issues with hotspots or poor off-axis viewing due to the highly reflective finish used. Start with the room, not the projector or screen.

Speaking of room, can't tell whether you need a short, medium or long throw projector without knowing room dimensions, any limits on projector mounting and which wall you're projecting on to.

• Like 1

Some of the expensive daytime screens work quite well.

Even with that, if you cant attenuate light in the roim - image quality will suffer greatly and looked washed out. A 1080i CRT from almost 20 years ago will look better.

I would suggest looking at a 75 inch oled if primarily viewing in daylight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Speaking of room, can't tell whether you need a short, medium or long throw projector without knowing room dimensions, any limits on projector mounting and which wall you're projecting on to.

Thanks Quark! 

This isn’t for a dedicated room. It’s for an open space living room with the fixed projector screen to be in there.

Seating is ~ 4-5m from the wall and the projector can be an distance less than that (doesn’t need to be above seating position), ceiling mounted.

I should add daytime viewing is mostly for sport in full HD - maybe 4K if content moves in that direction over the next 2-3 years.

Daytime viewing would never really be for movies.

I really want 100 inches minimum if the $5k budget allows.

Fixed screen is preferred.

Appreciate any advice / recommendations

Edited by Sean84

Sean I run a screen in what is a open plan layout that can be closed off it’s surrounded by windows 7 in all around the room and s light filled staircase behind. But with pelmet and block out blinds and doors closing off the room I get pretty Good elimination of light during the day with one more opportunity to improve which been on plan fir years done nothing as happy enough

with light if it’s direct on screen it will be a killer. If indirect depending on tolerance you might find fine. With cricket for instance I don’t bother closing off room at rear which opens to dining kitchen abd staircase as light is indirect and be surprised how good

if can’t do anything about direct light one of those daylight screens is possible but cost ridiculously is amounts and not without their issues and limitations 

projectors have come s long way and as long as don’t go too huge even with decent calibration running at typical suggested  14FL luminesce it will look like a big plasma even with some light in the room. Ie back lighting or indirect light

its hard to know what your room looks like without pictures or what efforts needed to get conducive for projection. Without this makes very difficult  fir people to suggest anything bar go to flat screen panel instead

• Like 2

Thanks Al.

Definitely will have direct light blocked because I've seen what direct light can do with washing out the picture during day time. Looks horrible.

I know those black screens are expensive - are they grey screens a good 'in between' for daylight viewing?

The problem with flat screen panel is I've seen sport on 100 inches and anything less now looks bad :-)

I guess if I wait 3 years we will probably have a 100 inch flat panel screen within the $5k budget.

Still, if anyone can give a recommendation of projector and screen for $5k, happy to look into it.

As Al mentioned, with some curtains and pelmets you should be able to get your room reasonably dark in daylight you'll be good to go with a normal screen up around 120". Don't go too small - what seems large at first will look smaller after a few weeks.

If your budget can stretch a little past $5K, contact Rich at Oz Theatre Screens to see what package deal can be done for a JVC X5900 , mount and 120" 16:9 screen. You'll also need cables - I'd suggest the Ruipro cables here if you have a run of over 10m.

If your budget is tight Sony HW45 will be on sale here tomorrow at current price less 20% discount using code PCTECH, plus grab a 120" 16:9 screen from Selby Acoustics.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

Thanks Al.

Definitely will have direct light blocked because I've seen what direct light can do with washing out the picture during day time. Looks horrible.

I know those black screens are expensive - are they grey screens a good 'in between' for daylight viewing?

The problem with flat screen panel is I've seen sport on 100 inches and anything less now looks bad :-)

I guess if I wait 3 years we will probably have a 100 inch flat panel screen within the $5k budget.

Still, if anyone can give a recommendation of projector and screen for $5k, happy to look into it.

THE main problem with grey screens you there and there give away the possibility to do pure whites... I know some will say oh its a touch grey and still look white, but sorry for serious viewing i for one wouldn't want to give up ability to do whites. 

below are a couple of shots of the cricket, with my rear doors open, ie some light in the room, indirect 

24825573527_dd7f996943_b.jpg

39694114591_108bac69d6_b.jpg

though your set up is likely quite different to mine and in my setup have blocked out all direct light. and above is ok for me watching cricket, i wouldn't watch a movie this way as there is still some contrast loss and loss of punch to picture.

below is a shot showing some ambient light in the room eg two lamps we have behind line of the screen, again indirect light, not direct on screen. in this case picture was via old epson 9000 series,

25821976208_619c806469_b.jpg

id go with quarks suggestion re pelmets and make the efforts to control light its well worth it. for not most critical viewing some ambient light in the room likely will be able to get away with 

another choice is also as we do which is a drop down screen in front of smaller flat panel which is fine for day to day tv and viewing and we leave the large screen for movies sport, concerts big events  etc

• Like 2

oz theatre suggestions a good one, as can get a good package. also check out cleff hifi if in melb. as they sell both jvc and epson. if jvc cant fit budget one of the better epson units might :)

ps apart from screen also have to factor in a hdmi cable and decent mount ie the peerless for projectors like the epson/jvc i wouldn't use anything less. installation also if need someone to do all for you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

Do grey screens give better daytime performance than white? 

I agree with Al. The only time I'd consider a grey screen nowadays would be if using a cheaper DLP projector with their inherently poorer contrast. For your budget, you're better going for a better projector like the JVC or Sony.

• Like 2