Islandaudio

Avr upgrade for a small room. Is atmos worth it?

Hi all. 

Im looking at replacing my aging Marantz sr5500 receiver (circa 2005 and pre hdmi) with a more modern unit that supports the newer surround formats. My current listening room is 3m long x 3m wide and 2.5m high. Yep, a square room and my living conditions aren't likely to change anytime soon! My listening position is up against the back wall. I intend to keep using my current speakers which are a Whatmough magnum 5.1 set. I have a seperate 2 channel setup so the receiver would be only used for watching movies. The only source would be an Apple TV 5th gen streaming Netflix and iTunes movies. 

What I was wondering was would I be better off sticking to a 5.1 speaker setup in such a small room or would going for a setup where I could add 2 front height channels be of any benefit? 

The reason I ask is I don't have a huge budget, maybe around $800 max (if buying new) and I'm wondering if I should just buy a basic 5.1 receiver like a Yamaha rx-v483 (just for example!) and skip the ones with Dolby atmos if I'm never going to use their features?

Many thanks IA. 

Edited by Islandaudio

it is a small room but if you are considering looking for an atmos avr (most have dtsx also remember that use existing speakers from my understanding) there is a guy selling a yammy rxv683 on this forum that should do the job.

it will give you some options that you may or may not use but they will be there.

Edited by hopefullguy

3 hours ago, Islandaudio said:

Hi all. 

Im looking at replacing my aging Marantz sr5500 receiver (circa 2005 and pre hdmi) with a more modern unit that supports the newer surround formats. My current listening room is 3m long x 3m wide and 2.5m high. Yep, a square room and my living conditions aren't likely to change anytime soon! My listening position is up against the back wall. I intend to keep using my current speakers which are a Whatmough magnum 5.1 set. I have a seperate 2 channel setup so the receiver would be only used for watching movies. The only source would be an Apple TV 4th gen streaming Netflix and iTunes movies. 

What I was wondering was would I be better off sticking to a 5.1 speaker setup in such a small room or would going for a setup where I could add 2 front height channels be of any benefit? 

The reason I ask is I don't have a huge budget, maybe around $800 max (if buying new) and I'm wondering if I should just buy a basic 5.1 receiver like a Yamaha rx-v483 (just for example!) and skip the ones with Dolby atmos if I'm never going to use their features?

Many thanks IA. 

i remember the magnums which were a nice set.

even if a smaller room. the heights just add height info regardless of room. with surrounds up back and in a 5.1 orientation. id say the thought of adding two top front heights is a good one :)

I do think atmos well worth doing and certainly woudl factor in. though $800 seems like not a lot to incorporate atmos and AVR :) especially given the very nice speaker set already have that will need driving.

possibly get a feel for what likely to cost to integrate a couple of atmos speakers... and then look at avr side to work out overall budget of whats needed :) often 2nd hand some great options come up so as long as buying something reasonably current from last few years likely will get atmos capability.

43 minutes ago, :) al said:

i remember the magnums which were a nice set.

even if a smaller room. the heights just add height info regardless of room. with surrounds up back and in a 5.1 orientation. id say the thought of adding two top front heights is a good one :)

I do think atmos well worth doing and certainly woudl factor in. though $800 seems like not a lot to incorporate atmos and AVR :) especially given the very nice speaker set already have that will need driving.

possibly get a feel for what likely to cost to integrate a couple of atmos speakers... and then look at avr side to work out overall budget of whats needed :) often 2nd hand some great options come up so as long as buying something reasonably current from last few years likely will get atmos capability.

Thanks al.

I think you have convinced me to give atmos a go! After all, I'd always be wondering what it would sound like!

I still have a pair of usher s520's that haven't sold that I could use as rears and then I could use my little magnum surrounds as front height speakers. That way I could put all of my money into funding a new receiver. 

I'm not to sure about the sort of sound quality of new receivers within my budget but I'll have a look around. Second hand may also be an option. 

:)al

on a related matter re atmos.

I have a 7.1 speaker set-up at present (well, 7.2 really) with an Anthem MRX720 receiver (and MCA50 amp). Front 3 are a soundwall, surrounds (4 and 5) are in ceiling parallel to seats (but wider) and the rears (6 and 7) are also in ceiling.  I run this as a 7.2 system.

I could run it as a 5.2.2 atmos, with the rears becoming speakers 4 and the surrounds becoming atmos.  Adding other speakers in future to make a 5.2.4 is not an option - this would be a simple tweak with the speaker connections.  The compatability of the speakers isn't an issue - all have the same coaxial driver.

What would you do?  Atmos 5.2.2 or dolby 7.2?

Benje

10 minutes ago, Benje said:

:)al

on a related matter re atmos.

I have a 7.1 speaker set-up at present (well, 7.2 really) with an Anthem MRX720 receiver (and MCA50 amp). Front 3 are a soundwall, surrounds (4 and 5) are in ceiling parallel to seats (but wider) and the rears (6 and 7) are also in ceiling.  I run this as a 7.2 system.

I could run it as a 5.2.2 atmos, with the rears becoming speakers 4 and the surrounds becoming atmos.  Adding other speakers in future to make a 5.2.4 is not an option - this would be a simple tweak with the speaker connections.  The compatability of the speakers isn't an issue - all have the same coaxial driver.

What would you do?  Atmos 5.2.2 or dolby 7.2?

Benje

hmm benje, i made sure read a carefully to make sure had right. in thinking back with things as i have always had a 7.1 setup as base as far goes, and I dont think i would ever give that up. the envelopment you get all around and specifically from the rear is important and we have much in releases that are natively 7.1 as well.

in your particular case too the important part is you have these speakers already in the ceiling. with atmos it specifically needs some height difference between the bed surrounds and the heights ie a differential for 3D audio to work. in my own setup i had wall mounted rears that were mounted far closer to the ceilings as they were done from an era way before atmos was thought off. so going atmos it was one of the first thing i did was to lower them so i could get that differential between my bed surrounds and the height surrounds.

with your side (4&6)and rear surrounds (6&7) already in the ceiling. making your 6&7 speakers atmos wouldn't I think work. as there wouldn't be any differential. 

I presume you have in ceiling surrounds because on wall surrounds are not a possibility ? eg in open plan settings ? what could possibly be a solution in that case is if you could say go floor mounted side and rear surrounds ? just stand mounts ? in that case i think your current inn ceilings could become your top heights ? in which case you'd end wiht a 7.2.4 setup easily :)

open plan al.  Kitchen is immediately behind.

Speakers 6 and 7 are ideally placed to be 4 and 5 in a 5.2 system, which will work for multi-channel music as well as movies.

Speakers 4 and 5 are at the same height as 6 and 7, but are a metre forward and 2 metres wider.

I appreciate your comment about the need for a different height to have effect with atmos - that might be the critical piece of advice.  There is no prospect of anything else going anywhere until hell freezes over though (given some of the recent weather, it might not be long before Melbourne freezes, which some would argue is akin to hell freezing over  :) ).

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Islandaudio said:

Thanks al.

I think you have convinced me to give atmos a go! After all, I'd always be wondering what it would sound like!

I still have a pair of usher s520's that haven't sold that I could use as rears and then I could use my little magnum surrounds as front height speakers. That way I could put all of my money into funding a new receiver. 

I'm not to sure about the sort of sound quality of new receivers within my budget but I'll have a look around. Second hand may also be an option. 

Keep in mind that you really need to be 4K capable to experience ATMOS as there is only a handful of regular 1080p BD's that currently offer it.

If you don't have a 4K monitor but do have a 4k player then you should still be able to send down sampled 4K video to the monitor and get ATMOS audio.

If you don't have a 4K player then you are in trouble!!!

If you already have BOTH then sorry for wasting your time.:) 

Edited by JohnL

2 hours ago, JohnL said:

Keep in mind that you really need to be 4K capable to experience ATMOS as there is only a handful of regular 1080p BD's that currently offer it.

If you don't have a 4K monitor but do have a 4k player then you should still be able to send down sampled 4K video to the monitor and get ATMOS audio.

If you don't have a 4K player then you are in trouble!!!

If you already have BOTH then sorry for wasting your time.:) 

That's actually a very interesting point you make John.

The only source I was planning on using was an 4K Apple TV to stream movies and correct me if I'm wrong but the Apple 4K can't do Atmos yet!! 

I don't rent dvd's because we don't have a video shop anymore and our only option for rentals is via the kiosk type machines that have a very limited range.