RussB        Kew East 3102     

DavinB               Hampton 3188   required for weekend - Sat Feb 24th   

MichaelF       Yarraville  3013   currently with

Mick

Joz      Elwood 3184

JohnE        Alfredton  3350

Edited by Gieseler Audio
update

I handed the loan unit over to DavinB yesterday for his ‘home alone with DAC’ experience this weekend (I was tempted to invite myself around and offer to take a few beers, but thought that might be a bit much on first meet :)

The Gross DAC provided the best sound I have heard on my system to date. As expected, it was a clear step up from my Myryad MCD600 CD player and also the Klein v1 that I have on loan from a friend.

It had superior depth, atmosphere and sense of space in and around objects than the Myryad. There was more going on in the soundstage and imaging to listen to, and things just sounded more natural... and hence more engaging. Bass was tighter whilst still very powerful and went low.

Compared to the Klein, the Gross provided superior detail, naturalness, depth and presence. The better the recording the more obvious the differences, with Roger Waters’ Amused to Death probably being the album I listened to most.

I can totally relate to comments made by others, including Snoopy, BAM and illbarto who all described the Gross as ‘addictive’. I just found myself wanting to listen to more and more music. Thanks Clay!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, RussB said:

(I was tempted to invite myself around and offer to take a few beers, but thought that might be a bit much on first meet :)

Problem then would be that you may be tempted to sleep over because it is so addictive....  :lol::lol::P

Thank you for your review.  Appreciate your thoughts and hope to hear from the others, even to say "had the unit, was so so, passed it on!" 

Hi. I can’t get this to work through usb it toslink I’m afraid. No sound. Clay can you help please? I know Davin had issues with the optical as well. I’ve tried two optical cords.

Also tried USB but I’m not sure if the USB on my Bluesound is an in or out. 

1 hour ago, Mike13 said:

Hi. I can’t get this to work through usb it toslink I’m afraid. No sound. Clay can you help please? I know Davin had issues with the optical as well. I’ve tried two optical cords.

Also tried USB but I’m not sure if the USB on my Bluesound is an in or out. 

The USB on the bluesound can’t be used.    It’s only for USB sticks (input) 

Hi Mike,

ok - power the DAC on & select the optical input.

Required actions.

Hit the red button twice then use ch button until you get to “channel”

Use “vol” button to select optical. Then ch button again to get back to Volume screen to see what level you are at.

If you are using a intergrated amp or power/pre set vol up to 100. If straight into a power amp start at say 50.

OK now power up your optical source & you should be good to go.

I have recently found out that if you cycle the inputs it will mute the coax/optical inputs. 

To remedy this just hit the  “av” button (which is the dac mute button) or the red button - home screen - either action

will unmute the DAC.

When I get time I will see if the firmware can be tweaked to remove this anomaly.

If ever you get strange sound or no sound power cycling the DAC will sort it.

The Gross manual is nearly finished but in the mean time refer to the single sheet marked Gross Manual v1.1

Regards Clay

Okay will try tonight, thanks for the instructions.

On another note I’m picking up one of your pre amps 2nd hand on Friday so would be good to try these two together before it goes to Joe for the GTG. 

Okay will try tonight, thanks for the instructions.

On another note I’m picking up one of your pre amps 2nd hand on Friday so would be good to try these two together before it goes to Joe for the GTG.