Sign in to follow this  
Iano

Back in the Head-Fi game

With the rise rise, and rise of computer audio I decided it was time to return to headphone listening.  I'd given up 3 odd years ago, having exhausted all of my CDs and my old and humble Sennheiser HD590s slowly wearing out.

Well I've rejoined this club and boy it's good to be back.  The HD590s went walkabout which I was initially dismayed about.  No biggie - cue eBay.  I'm now the proud owner of some HD560 Ovation IIs from 1993/94.  Mint condition, the previous owner had the pads replaced.  And they comprehensively tear strips off my previous pair.  Dare I say it these (with appropriate amplification) could easily keep pace with anything costing up to 500 bucks today.  They are gorgeously neutral, just letting the music waft through.  The soundstage is typical Sennheiser, deep and wide.  I don't know how else to describe the sound without being overly analytical with my language, because the 560s are anything but.  Warm but not lush or sticky, incredibly detailed without taking a surgeons scalpel to the recording, low bass extension without boom or thump?  

If I had to summarise, take your favourite recording that you know inside out back to front.  Give it the longest most thorough intricate buff and polish you thought possible.  Then sit back and enjoy :)  You just can't put a stereotype on the sonic signature, because there just isn't one. In a word: linear

If there's a caveat, they need a lot of juice.... I didn't think 300ohms would prove tricky to drive, although my old pair were less than half that at 120.  They're powered by an Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2, fed into a Perreaux SXH-1 Sillhouette class A.  Considering at some point upping the DAC to a red as the voltage is much higher.  Oh, and the source (before I hook them back up to my main Rotel setup) is Tidal HiFi Masters.

At the moment however - I is pig in detritus :cool:

Edited by Iano

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fillip
      Hi all,

I bought an old amplifier at a house auction this week and ended up with two giant speakers to boot (I thought it was a table the amp was on and a separate lot)

There seems to be a few unconnected wires and some bits I don't know if they are part of the speakers or not.

Do any of you have any advice as to what needs to be connected to what , are these things even worth looking at (are they better off being used as firewood)

All comments welcome.

Cheers

Phil 

• By Saxon Hall
      Item: As above
      Price: $45 plus $18 if you require delivery within Australia
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Surplus
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal and Bank Transfer if delivery is required
      Extra Info: A nice vintage set of Carpet Bowls in excellent condition. The box is in good condition considering it is a 50 year old cardboard box. Local Pick Up preferred however if delivery is required careful packaging will maximise the chance of the package arriving safely

• By Kenneth Teh
      Item: Sennheiser HD598
      Price: 170
      Item Condition: 8/10
      Reason for selling: Too many headphones
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: without box but very good condition, comes with 2 set of cables
       SOLD
      Pictures:

• By RTR001
      Item: RTR 280DRs
      Price: 1200
      Item Condition: 7/10 - awesome for their age
      Reason for selling: Dad has upgraded
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Hi all, I’m selling these beautiful and rare old RTR 280DRs on behalf of my Dad (not to be confused with the cheap RTRs after BIC bought the company in the 80’s). Matching serial numbers 3838 and 3839. The story goes that as an 18 year old, dad had a choice to make – a new car or a stereo system. Needless to say that he choose correctly and they’ve been in the family since new in 1977. It’s actually quite a sad day for both of us really as these were my first introduction to the glorious world of hifi as well – in fact the couple of dinted dust caps were at my own hands as a 5 year old – apologies!

Anyway, here they are in all their Teak clad glory (real Teak, not plastic veneer). They pack in 10 drivers per tower. 5 paper mids/tweeters, a front facing piezo horn, 3 front/side facing 10” woofers and a downward firing 10” woofer. I’ve checked all drivers and they are in good working order.

The rear of the crossovers have pots for treble and mid range as well as an protection override reset button. One speaker will on occasion cut out but a reset is all it needs. The switch probably just needs a clean. The cloth grills look loose in the photos, that’s just due to the screws being removed for me to take photos of the drivers.

The crossovers have recently been recapped with Jantzen MKTs from Speakerbug.com.au. Dad reckons they now sound exactly like he remembered back in 77’ as they had lost a lot of sparkle and bottom end prior to the recap.

Sensitivity wise, I can’t find the original specs but they’re clearly pretty sensitive when compared to my -89dB Martin Logans. Easily over 91-92dB.

They’re not in perfect condition being 41 years old but overall present very well. There has been some loose veneer over the years which has been reglued. One tower has a chip to the bottom rear corner. I’ve tried to show all of this in the photos. A few of the tiny dust caps on the paper tweeters have been pushed in but they’re such shallow caps, I hardly noticed until dad pointed them out.

I’m not sure what else to say about these but please feel free to ask questions. Dad is asking $1200 for them and I realise that’s on the higher end but given their rarity here is Australia it’s probably a fair price

Pictures:

• By Saxon Hall
      Item   As Above
      Location   Epping Vic
      Price   $20
      Item Condition   Banged Up, Well Used but nice to have for a collector of Vintage Bike Gear
      Reason For Selling   Dont own a bike
      Payment Method   Cash on Pick Up, or Bank Transfer/PayPal if delivery is required
      Extra Info.  This is an old bike pump. It works but is a bit stiff and sticky when pumping in and out ( is that rude?)
      It has a few dents and scratches. ( Please have a good look at the photos)
      It has the hose fitting which is in good condition.
      It is made out of anodized aluminium alloy. I believe the design dates back to the 1970,s
      If you want it delivered it will cost $8.50 for Standard AusPost Parcel Delivery
      Photos
      ITEM