Sign in to follow this  
Iano

Back in the Head-Fi game

With the rise rise, and rise of computer audio I decided it was time to return to headphone listening.  I'd given up 3 odd years ago, having exhausted all of my CDs and my old and humble Sennheiser HD590s slowly wearing out.

Well I've rejoined this club and boy it's good to be back.  The HD590s went walkabout which I was initially dismayed about.  No biggie - cue eBay.  I'm now the proud owner of some HD560 Ovation IIs from 1993/94.  Mint condition, the previous owner had the pads replaced.  And they comprehensively tear strips off my previous pair.  Dare I say it these (with appropriate amplification) could easily keep pace with anything costing up to 500 bucks today.  They are gorgeously neutral, just letting the music waft through.  The soundstage is typical Sennheiser, deep and wide.  I don't know how else to describe the sound without being overly analytical with my language, because the 560s are anything but.  Warm but not lush or sticky, incredibly detailed without taking a surgeons scalpel to the recording, low bass extension without boom or thump?  

If I had to summarise, take your favourite recording that you know inside out back to front.  Give it the longest most thorough intricate buff and polish you thought possible.  Then sit back and enjoy :)  You just can't put a stereotype on the sonic signature, because there just isn't one. In a word: linear

If there's a caveat, they need a lot of juice.... I didn't think 300ohms would prove tricky to drive, although my old pair were less than half that at 120.  They're powered by an Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2, fed into a Perreaux SXH-1 Sillhouette class A.  Considering at some point upping the DAC to a red as the voltage is much higher.  Oh, and the source (before I hook them back up to my main Rotel setup) is Tidal HiFi Masters.

At the moment however - I is pig in detritus :cool:

Edited by Iano

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By overjp
      Item: Sennheiser HD 800 S headphones
      Price: $1,500
      Item Condition: excellent, original owner, original packaging, both cables, etc.
      Reason for selling: no longer required
      Payment Method: cash on pick-up, delivery. Bank transfer.
      Extra Info: 

Pictures: to follow.

• By countcrisp
      Item: Pioneer SX-5590 a.k.a. SX-1250
      Price: $1750 
      Item Condition: used 7/10
      Reason for selling: not being used
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

decided to move on my Pioneer SX-5590. Exactly the same as the SX-1250 but with the black faceplate and box.

Cosmetically amp would be a 7/10 with a few marks here and there. Please refer to photos for better description.

Everything works as it should with all lights working.

Amp is in original condition (other than the volume knob) and still sounds very strong. I have been using it with my Pioneer DSS-7 speakers and the volume doesn't go past 4 out of 10

Happy to demo for those interested and also have the facility to package if needed. Amp weights about 30kg shipping would be around $70-$90 Aust wide

Crisp

Pictures:

• By karmakat
      Item: Clarion/AWA set of 3: MA-7800K Amplifier, MT-7800K Tuner, MD-7800K Cassette Deck
      Item condition description: amp and tuner exc, cassette deck not working.
      Price and price conditions: $400
      Reason for selling: Not being used
      Payment Methods: COD, PayPal friend.
      Extra Info:  Very rare quality vintage components form Japan mid/late 1970s. Only 1000 ever made to challenge Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha and the like. Clarion owned McIntosh for a while too.

Excellent build quality - massive transformer.
      Features: 50w/ch, can take 4 ohm speakers (1 set), pre out/ main in, 2x turntable inputs.
      In excellent condition apart from a couple of tiny marks as shown in photos. Will improve with TLC
      Amplifier and tuner working 100%. No noisy switches. All lights working. Cassette deck not working - powers up, lights all work but it makes a whirring sound.

This link for extra info :http://www.thevintageknob.org/clarion-UFO.html

47 cm wide, 20.5 cm tall - total height 59.5 cm, approx 22 cm deep.
      Heavy - amp is 11kg, cassette deck is 10kg, tuner 7.5 kg.
      Serial numbers are on the base of each component.
      Happy to audition. Clean transparent sound. Prefer collection as big and heavy to pack - can take to PacknSend though.

• By thesnodger
      Item: Pioneer PL-L1000 linear tracking turntable with Technics EPC-205C Mk3 MM Cart with Jico SAS stylus.
      Price: $1000 firm
      Item Condition: Excellent. Fully operational, no major scratches or marks.
      Reason for selling: Too many turntables
      Extra Info: Vintage Pioneer LT from the early late-mid 80's! Fully operational as per video. The Technics cart itself is worth over $400. The stylus was $300 and has about 70 hours on it.
      The combo of the Technics with the Jico SAS and this table really works well. This is on-par with my PS-X800, but is alot bigger and I dont have the room for it.
      Happy to demo in Sydney. Can post at buyers cost and risk (it would be packed very well) but would ultimately prefer a pick up.
      Specifications
      Drive system: direct drive
      Motor: quartz PLL hall motor
      Platter: 310mm aluminium alloy diecast
      Speeds: 33 and 45rpm
      Wow and flutter: less than 0.013% WRMS
      Signal to noise ratio: more than 78dB
      Tonearm: linear direct drive motor, static balance, linear tracking
      Effective length: 190mm
      Overhang: zero
      Cartridge weight range: 4 to 24g
      Headshell weight: 10.5g
      Dimensions: 494 x 154 x 456mm
      Weight: 12kg
      VIdeo:

Pictures:

• By acampbell
      Item: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless Over Ear with Active Noise Cancellation (Black)
      Price: 420
      Item Condition: Brand New in sealed box 
      Reason for selling: Purchasing in ears instead (needed for commute)
      Extra Info: These are the larger, over ear wireless model and are local stock. Comes with receipt - full 2 year warranty included

Pictures: