Rega Turntable, Old and New

Whats the budget?

If you are looking at a new P2 they cost $750 - $800 new, ive seen RP3's with carts sell for that.  I sold my P3 24 with TTPSU for $700 and i saw a P5 sell on ebay a few months ago for $700 ish.  The purple P3 you commented on would be a good deal by the looks at $500 but if you can afford more a P3 24 with TTPSU provides a better tonearm and motor and its doable for $650 - $750.

• Like 1

Okay, the turntable is for one of my siblings, she mainly only occasionally plays her Barbara Streisand records, so she more than likely won’t upgrade ever, budget is $500, hence my original question, because of the new Rega range, I am more than curious of how the new Rega 1 and especially the Rega 2 compare to the older version of the Rega 3. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Okay, the turntable is for one of my siblings, she mainly only occasionally plays her Barbara Streisand records, so she more than likely won’t upgrade ever, budget is $500, hence my original question, because of the new Rega range, I am more than curious of how the new Rega 1 and especially the Rega 2 compare to the older version of the Rega 3. Thanks 

If its for someone that won't upgrade I'd go with old planar 3 as long as it has rb300 arm

Does your sister play 45's regularly... because if she does it would be worth the extra 100 or so for a ttpsu p3 24 to avoid lifting the platter and changing the belt.... deal of the century a while back on gumtree 90s P3 with 24 v upgrade motor rb700 and an ortofon rondo red for $500... so its possible to get something nice if your patient

Edited by Marshall_SLX

Hi Guys, Yeah, I’d definitely grab that purple p3 for sure, so far consensus is still a ‘90’s Rega 3 as opposed to the latest Rega 2,  I was really interested if the new upgraded Rega 2 would now equal the ‘90’s Rega 3

Hi All, Well it turns out that a Rega won’t suit due to the hassle of changing speeds, so I will now be looking at automatics, I know you can buy the upgrade to allow speed change, but I am going to keep it simple. Thanks all

On 14/01/2018 at 5:56 AM, Digital Man said:

she mainly only occasionally plays her Barbara Streisand records

Mate that's a lot of coin to drop for this purpose....not meaning to be rude, just realistic. Is it possible that she will branch out later and play a lot more vinyl? If not, then I would just be looking at a couple of hungee for an auto turntable from the pioneer, sony, etc etc lo fi stable that personifies the 80's. The P1, 2 and 3 etc are manual tables which give most infrequent punters the sh!its. 

Just my 2c

• Like 2