Sign in to follow this  
Steveo6217

Another sub calibration question

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to tap into some of the knowledge here in the community to assist with setting up my new room. I’ve recently moved and have scored myself a space that I have free range over as far as layout goes.

My modest setup consists of Q Acoustics Concept 40s, 2 x VAF 12” SB subs and a Pioneer SC LX-77.

I have the house to myself all day tomorrow and am going to use the opportunity to finally set everything up with at least a degree of precision. I’m going to be following Jim Smith’s suggested method (http://www.psaudio.com/copper-magazine/so no real issues with the majority of the process. One thing that isn’t addressed in these articles is Bass Mangement if using an AVR. Jim’s articles assume that the speakers will be run full range and the Subs intergrated without the use of digital bass management.

My question is, am I better off running the speakers full range and integrating the Subs exactly as suggested in the articles or running a crossover via the AVR?

I have a few thoughts on the matter and will be using an RTA to measure the results. I also realise that it will likely end up with me trying both methods to see which one works best but I wouldn’t mind hearing others opinions on the matter before undertaking the experiment.

I belive the standard is to run the crossover from the AVR having the speakers crossover at 80hz and all the speakers set to small.

Works for me.

From my modest knowledge of the Pioneer range, anything LX is considered pretty good gear right? I'd be running it full range and just augmenting the bass with the subs. If you can find out what the crossover is like in the sub (IE -12db/octave/-18db/octave etc) and the -db level on your speakers at their low end of rating (Very very few speakers are rated to flat response as this is pretty hard to get to a good sounding number) this will help you work out where to set it.

IE if speakers are -6db @ 40hz and the sub is -12db/octave and set at 30hz it'll be -6db at 45hz if this makes sense, so i'd be starting it off around 35hz which would be about -3db at 43hz. Positioning the sub (or subs) can make a huge difference due to room reinforcement though.