Cemax

Subwoofer under 5k - mostly music

3 hours ago, muriwai said:

You couldn't go wrong with the 2nd hand Seaton sub in the classifieds

Just as long as it doesn't break. :ninja:

6 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Just as long as it doesn't break. :ninja:

I dont think there has been much in the way of reliability issues with Seaton subs. Guess your not a fan of second hand buys???

The one in the classifieds is not a good option for the OP as it is configured for HT use. No crossover control, so a processor would be required, and only one mono input - so would need to sum left and right channels or find a second one for 2 channel music. 

1 minute ago, AudioGeek said:

I dont think there has been much in the way of reliability issues with Seaton subs. Guess your not a fan of second hand buys???

There has been some issues I recall and getting parts for them is kinda hard.

Edited by Satanica

Ah, wasnt aware of that. 

I have a Seaton - fingers crossed.

I also have an svs sub - bought second hand, had an issue out of warranty and the local distributor sent me an amp replacement no charge.

Definitely an argument for local supply/support whether new or second hand.

9 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

I also have an svs sub - bought second hand, had an issue out of warranty and the local distributor sent me an amp replacement no charge.

Had a connector problem with one of my SVS subs, but while Deep Hz Audio (Peter) was willing, the distributor was most unhelpful.

I had a REL in my system and thought it was great with music, however, found that with some types of modern music the extended bass tracks they use, eg: Solange etc that the REL didn't really like it.  Changed to a JL Audio e series, fantastic sub with music.  The other thing to check does a lot of music you listen contain true low frequencies.  Good luck with listening and choosing.