Subwoofer under 5k - mostly music

Can get an awesome deal on a new M&K x12 and I am too hesitant to pull the trigger. Used in theatre (only pair of venere 3.0 atm) but mostly I listen to vinyl and the odd movie on weekends. Will add speakers up to 5.1 as I go.

5x5 room but larger in the next house. Won't buy second hand. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SVS sb16 ultra - 16", very compact closed box considering its size and power. I bought one of the first ones in Australia and it's spectacular for music. Peter at deephzaudio sells them http://deephzaudio.com/SVS Australia pricing page.html The advertised price is $3999 but he usually gives a discount. Not sure about delivery to QLD though. My main speakers go down flat to 30Hz so I use the sub crossed over at 30Hz to reach down deep and add massive authority to large symphonic works.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2

I use a svs sb1000 in a simple 2.1 home theatre setup and find it very impressive. 

Possibly if if you learn to more music use than actual movies, the various sealed box subwoofers may be better sorted for you than a ported design. 

I use Svs 2000pb for movies in my ht room and very happy with it, however I found a Rel S3 integrated better with my stereo speakers just by ear. I really only notice the sub when it’s not on, it does not draw undue attention to its self, but also doesn’t plumb the depths of the SVS

33 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Osborn T10 Music Subwoofer.

agree with this one ! he makes great subs ! nothing much on the market for the money will buy the quality of cabinets, amps and quality drivers used. the fit finish of the cabinets too is first class and can be customised as does locally too wiht what ever finish you want ! literally whatever ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

You could get Paul Spencer / Redspade audio to build you a custom sealed 18inch Rythmik servo subwoofer.

The Rythmik subs are fantastic for music.

Indeed the Rythmik it's the king.

get an F18 and stop searching :) None of the other brands get close to it.

On 13/01/2018 at 4:50 PM, Cemax said:

Can get an awesome deal on a new M&K x12 and I am too hesitant to pull the trigger. Used in theatre (only pair of venere 3.0 atm) but mostly I listen to vinyl and the odd movie on weekends. Will add speakers up to 5.1 as I go.

5x5 room but larger in the next house. Won't buy second hand. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

With a large room now and larger in the next house, you may want to consider dual subs to even out the bass across seating positions. Am using a SVS-SB13U & SVS SB2000 for 2 channel in an open plan family room.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:49 PM, Home theatre rookie said:

http://www.deephzaudio.com/Power Sound Triax T-18 product page.html

4000wrms. Typical in room extension 7hz!

Id say (guys correct me if im wrong)  this is the most sub (new) you'll get for your money.

I reckon all of the other subs mentioned in this thread put together still wouldn't equal this. :cool:

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Satanica said:

I reckon all of the other subs mentioned in this thread put together still wouldn't equal this. :cool:

Looks great for HT, but how good for music?

For 5K I'd go the Osborn Monumental for "mostly music". But to be honest, I'd upgrade the Veneres to something closer to full range (may push the budget up a bit though!) and add a sub or subs just for HT when you move. One of the Osborn Epitome options would do you nicely, certainly the towers or the version with the second bass units will give you as much bass as some of the subs suggested here just from mains. There are alternatives from other Australian makers that would do nicely as well. If the space in the next house is awkward, you can buy subs to suit then - you may find what you buy now isn't what you need then.

Is there measurements used to find out if a sub is good musically, or is it personal preference.

Back in my car audio days, 3 plus 8 inch subwoofers where considered the best musically, then, in recent times, home systems with large drivers not working very hard are considered "good for music".

Is it personal preference? Does it simply come down to woofer type, or the cabinet its in? Is it a power thing (quality/amount)?

Guest Eggcup The Daft
25 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Is there measurements used to find out if a sub is good musically, or is it personal preference.

Back in my car audio days, 3 plus 8 inch subwoofers where considered the best musically, then, in recent times, home systems with large drivers not working very hard are considered "good for music".

Is it personal preference? Does it simply come down to woofer type, or the cabinet its in? Is it a power thing (quality/amount)?

As a non-sub owner, I would put my money on speaker and room integration being more important for music than anything else. For music, the crossover has to be low enough that the sub can't be located in the room, and bass has to be integrated through the listening room/area, so that more subs are sometimes a better option than a bigger one. There's less bass content in music, so a sub for music has to work better at lower sound levels...

Edited by Eggcup The Daft

6 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Looks great for HT, but how good for music?

I'd say pretty close to absolute reference. A sealed subwoofer of that design, implementation and with that much output should have very little cone movement and thus distortion at normal sound levels. 

Edited by Satanica