Spinnergeoff

FS: My Build - Open Baffle Speakers Peak/Pioneer/Philips with subwoofer

Item: Open Baffle Speakers using quality paper cones
Price: $395 speakers plus $100 for subwoofer if required - it is unless you have one already, and this one is good value.
Item Condition: Recently completed, very good
Reason for selling: I make them and then sell them to get money for next project
Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, Direct Deposit
Extra Info: My latest DIY project has turned out very well indeed. The idea behind open baffle speakers is to achieve fast responses from the drivers with some rear propagation to boot. I've used a collection of vintage paper cones speakers, of which the most important is the Peak 8A7 broad range, acting as the midrange here. The Philips trebles were extracted from an old pair of bookshelf speakers that I repurposed! They do very good work here. The large Pioneer bass speakers have never delivered deep bass in any of the enclosures I've tried them in, despite their size, but have always appealed for sound quality. In this speaker they run out of bass below 60Hz, hence the subwoofer, but the upper bass is excellent and helps to achieve a seamless crossover to the sub - and I'm offering a Velodyne VX-10se as the add-on here for $100. 

I'm a minimalist when it comes to crossover hardware, as too many speakers are hobbled by too many bits and pieces. Inductors are a particular life-sucker-outer, so if I can avoid them I do. These drivers are happy to sit together and required just a 4.7uf capacitor on the treble and a 1.5ohm resistor to put a little brake on the Peak midrange. 

The sound quality of the setup with the subwoofer is full-range and has life, detail without harshness, lovely midrange for voices and most instruments. Listen to jazz on these and you are there, in the jazz club. Can do justice to most genres. I'm pretty choosy about sound quality, having had a life-long interest in music and spent nearly thirty years in the music and hifi business. This is my retirement hobby, and I only make one pair of each model then move on and try something else. No intention to go into business again, just enjoy my woodworking and setting up the individual models, fine tuning as best I can, and then go on to the next one. I have a technical adviser who's a bona fide speaker designer, and he likes what I do. 

Notes: (1) I cannot demo at my place as her indoors won't allow it, but if you're not too far away I could come over and set them up for you to hear in your room - serious buyers only, please. They'll run on any commonplace amplifier of 40-50w (or less) but you can use stronger ones if you like - it's only excessive volume that burns out speakers as a rule, regardless of actual power rating. (2) the magnets on the back of those small Philips drivers are different, but the fronts are identical. One is a ring magnet and the other is AlNiCo, as are both the Peak 8A7.

(3) Impedance approx. 7.5ohms. Power rating: low but you only need to use a couple of watts to get them going. (4) Midrange can be adjusted for your room by an alternate plug-in resistor (maybe 2.5 ohm) if the room is too lively. Current setting is for a softer room with bookcases, record racks, carpet, soft sofas etc. But I have those resistors ready to use if needed.

(5) Dimensions: 900x440x200mm approx. (hwd) (6) Finish: oiled timber, actually looks more honey-toned in real life than in the pictures.

(7) Postage: this would be tricky to organise but feel free to ask about that.

Pictures:

DSC_6116.JPG

DSC_6119.JPG

DSCF5319.JPG

DSCF5320.JPG

This looks like a great buy.

Try getting a pair of speakers this good at any shop for $395. It won't happen!

I'd be interested if I were in NSW.

Glwts

Edited by eltech

Those that know the builders work will realize just what good value is on sale here.

GLWTS

Cheers

’Nutz

10 hours ago, doogie44 said:

Can you hazard a guess at the sensitivity? Low-powered tube amps need not apply??

I've run them quite happily off a Sonos Connect Amp (50w) and a Cayin 35w valve amp so most valve amps should be fine. I'd be guessing based on nothing much that they are about 88-89db.

If you play them (with the sub) in a typical suburban living room, what is the single most significant thing about the sound that would strike the average listener as being different, compared with boxed loudspeakers?

24 minutes ago, marten said:

If you play them (with the sub) in a typical suburban living room, what is the single most significant thing about the sound that would strike the average listener as being different, compared with boxed loudspeakers?

Large open-airy soundstage and presence-lifelike instrumental textures.