Sign in to follow this  
Home theatre rookie

4K enhancement greyed out

Hey guys,

I just noticed the 4k enhancement "future" is greyed out/unable to be hilighted on my epson tw9300.

Ive tried both a standard blu ray and a 4k disc. I havent looked into it but i think 3d may have also been greyed out/unable to be selected.

What would be the reason for this. 

15157456161011671697288.jpg

15157456889121525433804.jpg

Edited by Home theatre rookie

Is the screen content in the background above produced by the Blu-ray player?   If so, does it connect to the pj via an AVR? 

You haven't explained the signal path!

One trouble-shooting method is to try connecting directly from the Blu-ray player to the pj; or have you already tried that?

Your first 2 questions, yes.

Is that not the standard way of connecting the bluray player? Bd player to AVR, AVR to projector?

Are you suggesting this could be the reason?

3 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Your first 2 questions, yes.

Is that not the standard way of connecting the bluray player? Bd player to AVR, AVR to projector?

Are you suggesting this could be the reason?

It is a common way though a Blu-ray player for 4K discs will have two HDMI outputs. The AVR may be causing a bottleneck of some kind for 4K video content. You could try connecting the video direct from one HDMI output of the Blu-ray to the projector and using the other Blu-ray player HDMI output to send audio only to the AVR.

If you can get the pj video to work properly directly from the player, then you can explore later on what might need to be done to get the video signal through the AVR (if you still feel that is necessary).

So i connect the bd player to the avr via audio and the bd player directly to the pj, is that right?

4k discs play perfectly fine and are playing at 4k res according to the info button.

Iso i pull the projector out of the avr and plug the bd player hdmi (audio) into that same first port?

8 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

4k discs play perfectly fine and are playing at 4k res according to the info button.

Perhaps your pj is incapable of interpolation mode with 4K input. And 4K enhancement mode may not be available if the input is already 4K. But in your opening post you said you weren't getting these features with standard Blu-rays.

It is possible your AVR alters the format of the video in some way not so much as to stop the video being displayed but enough to stop the pj reprocessing the video for enhancements.   (To test the video performance only, you wouldn't need to connect to the AVR at all.)

Yep correct. Standard bd's arent able to use 4k enhancement. Nothing is able to use 4k enhancement as it's greyed out as shown in the pictures above.

- Epson tw9300 into - yamaha rx3083 into - sony x800.

I wouldnt think the 3083 would affect 4k enhancement, why would it? Its the standard way the projector is ment to be connected. Via an AVR. 

Ill see what happens when i plug the projector directly into the bd player.

14 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Yep correct. Standard bd's arent able to use 4k enhancement. Nothing is able to use 4k enhancement as it's greyed out as shown in the pictures above.

- Epson tw9300 into - yamaha rx3083 into - sony x800.

I wouldnt think the 3083 would affect 4k enhancement, why would it? Its the standard way the projector is ment to be connected. Via an AVR. 

Ill see what happens when i plug the projector directly into the bd player. 

Sometimes issues like this are caused by menu settings - settings in the BD player, the AVR and in the PJ all affect how the content is handled as well as what options can be selected.  (This could be something as simple as a setting in the PJ itself, often you find if you have one option selected then other options are no longer available). 

@MLXXX is trying to isolate a device in the chain that may be affecting your result.  That is, if you connect the player directly to the PJ and the menu options become selectable, then the AVR and/or HDMI from AVR to PJ is likely causing the issue.  It's simply a process of elimination.

Yes, that is correct. Sometimes issues like these are caused by menu settings. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes they are caused by other things. And yes, "it could be something as simple as a setting in the pj itself" any idea what setting?

What im trying to find out is what is causing this issue.

Just as i thought, pluging the bd player directly into the projector didnt change the projectors menu offerings.

Does anyone who knows anything about the epson tw9300 know why 4k enhancement isnt hilighted to be selected when playing a standard bluray disc?

8 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Yes, that is correct. Sometimes issues like these are caused by menu settings. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes they are caused by other things. And yes, "it could be something as simple as a setting in the pj itself" any idea what setting?

Lol.  Nope, you've got the projector in front of you, have a play and see what happens...

If you're concerned about changing something adversely, take photos so you know where you started.

9 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Yep. Tried that. No luck, hence the thread.

Page 78 of the manual says for the Frame Interpolation option "Only when an HDMI1 or HDMI2 image signal is being input".  It then says the same for Image Enhancement options but adds that a signal from a PC can also be used.

So, have you tried accessing these menu options whilst a movie is playing?

Yep......

Still unable to select. ?

Im not complaining about the image quality, it's brilliant.

But i dont understand why the feature/s aren't working. ?

15159019533591963400800.jpg

15159019990961170405264.jpg

15159021048511079006022.jpg

@Home theatre rookie, is the BD player already converting standard Blu-rays to 4K? The manual for the Sony UBP-X800 states (at page 19):

x [4K Upscale Setting] [Auto1]: Outputs 2K (1920 × 1080) video signals during video playback and 4K video signals during photo play when connecting to a Sony 4K-compatible equipment. Outputs 4K video signals when connecting to a non-Sony 4K-compatible equipment. This setting does not work for 3D video image playback. [Auto2]: Automatically outputs 4K video signals when you connect a 4K-compatible equipment. [Off]: Turns off the function.

That is interesting - Thank you. It is a possibility, ill have to check out the bd player's settings when i get a chance.

Do you think that would over ride the pj's 4k enhancement setting?

1 hour ago, Home theatre rookie said:

What do you have set in preset 3?

Can you try turning image preset mode off, or resetting a preset back to default? Make sure image processing is set to fine as per manual;

enhancement

Deinterlacing Off, Video, Film/Auto (This can only be set when Image Pro‐ cessing is set to Fine or when receiving 480i, 576i, or 1080i signal input from the HDMI1, or HDMI2 ports or from WirelessHD.) Converts the signal from interlaced (i) to progressive (p) using a method appropriate for the image signal. • Off: This is ideal for dynamic motion images. • Video: This is ideal for viewing general video images. • Film/Auto: Performs the optimal conversion for film, CG, or animation input signals.

Frame Interpolation is available under the following conditions. • When Image Processing is set to Fine. s Signal - Advanced - Image Processing p.78

JSmith :ninja:

1 hour ago, JSmith said:

Frame Interpolation is available under the following conditions. • When Image Processing is set to Fine. s Signal - Advanced - Image Processing p.78

JSmith :ninja:

Also It appears frame interpolation is not available with a 4K source. I saw this at page 36:-

Setting Frame Interpolation

You can play fast moving images smoothly by automatically producing intermediate frames between the original frames. Frame Interpolation is available under the following conditions.

• When Image Processing is set to Fine. s Signal - Advanced - Image Processing p.78

• When the source is HDMI1, HDMI2, or WirelessHD (EH-TW9300W/EH-TW8300W only).

• When inputting 2D signals* or 3D signals (1080p 24 Hz). s p.118

* This is unavailable when a 4K signal is being input. When 4K Enhancement is set to On, this is only enabled when 1080p 24Hz signals are being input.

3 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Do you think that would over ride the pj's 4k enhancement setting?

I did originally suspect that might be the case, but I don't now, having read more of the instruction manual.

However if the BD player is automatically upscaling a standard Blu-ray to 4K, that appears to prevent the  pj from doing frame interpolation, as per what I've quoted from the pj manual just above in red. 

Edited by MLXXX