Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

6 minutes ago, Ian13 said:

Is it 100% confirmed that you cannot use the Audessey Pro installers kit with the new AV8805?

no pro, you have to use the app and the oems mic. if you want to use pro grab the av8802a while still can :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that Al, rang around today for availability.

Also the av8802a has 13.2 outputs but i gather that it can only process 11.2 at any one time - is this correct?

If so then if you run the traditional 7.2 with the extra wides (making it 9.2) then you only have the option of running the one set of heights (making it 11.2) - is this correct?

So if you want to run both set of heights with the traditional 7.2 then i gather you would need to go without the extra wides - is this correct?

Trying to get my head around its configuration options before i decide to purchase one 

Edited by Ian13

1 hour ago, Ian13 said:

Also the av8802a has 13.2 outputs but i gather that it can only process 11.2 at any one time - is this correct?

hi Ian, am only running 11.1 so cant say otherwise. actually am also setup for auro3D but still no I dont think can go past 11.2

1 hour ago, Ian13 said:

If so then if you run the traditional 7.2 with the extra wides (making it 9.2) then you only have the option of running the one set of heights (making it 11.2) - is this correct?

you want to research this very carefully as I believe wides are not greatly supported even on the 8805. works for some formats and not others etc. a bit of a mess from what i remember reading. 

I dont know what you are running right now but i am pleased as punch with the 11.1 setup.  it did interest me the extra heights aspect, but really doesnt make a lot of sense when all they can be is middle heights which would be squashing a lot of speakers in a tight space. 

6 hours ago, :) al said:

you want to research this very carefully as I believe wides are not greatly supported even on the 8805. works for some formats and not others etc. a bit of a mess from what i remember reading. 

Edited by Ian13

Could you clarify what you mean by wides are not greatly supported - thanks.

I am running 7.1 - L / C / R /SL / SR / RL / RR & sub

Was wanting to set up the av8802a with all the above and the L&R wides, the 4 heights and extra sub, making it 13.2 - but not sure if it is possible.

23 minutes ago, Ian13 said:

Was wanting to set up the av8802a with all the above and the L&R wides, the 4 heights and extra sub, making it 13.2 - but not sure if it is possible.

am talking about software support between formats, as I said you will need to do your research :) check the avs relevant thread will find wides are not supported by dts or auro only dolby so be sitting there doing nothing for anything bar atmos. given the gazillion of DTS discs we have out and coming its a bit limiting. but again its something you need to research if of interest to you, i have no plans or interest in putting in wides.. 

8 hours ago, Ian13 said:

Another factor is if you want discrete 13.2 Ian as opposed to 11.2 + a dsp mode for the wides . If that's a discrete configuration ; you would require a 8805 ; that's where the extra cost comes in :winky: As to what dsp modes can be added or not ;no clue here ; do some research in the manual as Al said :) Though I suspect you are interested in discrete only.

The 8805 has more horsepower using the latest griffin light chipset so isn't as restricted for channel processing..

• 13.2 channel processing with 15.2 channel XLR and RCA outputs and flexible pre-amplifier stages — ideal for the advanced home cinema enthusiast
    • Enjoy immersive, three-dimensional sound with the latest surround formats including Dolby Atmos (up to 7.1.6 or 9.1.4), DTS:X and Auro-3D (up to 13.1)

• Like 1

Good point about the 8805 and discrete 13.2 (which you are quite correct that i would prefer) but the biggest hurdle i have to get over is that i want to be able to use my Audessey Pro installers kit (which has been confirmed not to be compatible with the 8805) henceforth my natural gravitation to the 8802a.

But with most things in life sometimes to gain one thing you must sacrifice another. Damn!!!

1 hour ago, Ian13 said:

Good point about the 8805 and discrete 13.2 (which you are quite correct that i would prefer) but the biggest hurdle i have to get over is that i want to be able to use my Audessey Pro installers kit (which has been confirmed not to be compatible with the 8805) henceforth my natural gravitation to the 8802a.

But with most things in life sometimes to gain one thing you must sacrifice another. Damn!!!

Its hard to understand the audyssey situation Ian ; maybe its got something to do with licensing costs ? Well that was onkyo's ostensible reason for going with accu eq :bye: That and their chipset meant decoding atmos was a higher priority than room eq iirc . 

Is it possible [as atmos has set speaker positions] to run L/C/R /FLW/FRW/LS/RS and the 4 ceilings and ditch the LBS/RBS ? always the option of using the DTS-X neural and DSU which is an improvement over past dsp modes that didn't separate frequency bands; for any codecs that don't support wides . As has been posted someplace else wides are a good idea as our ears are predisposed to sounds from the front :phone: If you have the room naturally.. 

The Dolby Surround upmixer is based on phase and gain relationships of elements in the signal, but importantly employs wideband functionality that analyzes and processes multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands in the signal. The benefit is a finer-grained analysis of the source content prior to steering.

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cwt said:

Its hard to understand the audyssey situation Ian ; maybe its got something to do with licensing costs ?

I just contacted Chris K CTO of audyssey directly when I heard of what had transpired. Got answer promptly back, his answer was quite simply marantz wanted to provide an app solution not needing the pc, which has meant cant use a separate pre and calibrated mic with the 8805. nothing more in it. from the horses mouth.

• Like 2

Guest Sime

@:) al so what are you going to do once the hyper advanced 8808 comes out, game changing surround effects (whatever they may be) 8k pass through and a pre section to die for, but still no pro-mic?

37 minutes ago, Sime said:

@:) al so what are you going to do once the hyper advanced 8808 comes out, game changing surround effects (whatever they may be) 8k pass through and a pre section to die for, but still no pro-mic?

goodness knows sime... am not one to keep up with joneses.... my last pre pro I ran for 8 years ! was state of the art the entire time I was using it.  Have had the 8802A for 3 years already... might have it another 5 years :D who knows. the 8802A does all is capable for me right now. So in the "Land of contentment" :party as far as that one goes :)

things like 8k has no purpose in the home. our surround formats are pretty much set, we generally have these set for about a 10 year cycle. think dvd, blu-ray, now uhd. in the unlikely case we get some new formats or something in next few years ... will cross that bridge when come to it :)

all that said ... I dont say never say never. if for say marantz (or denon) or say classe(all now part of sound united parent) came up with a higher level flagship processor... ala the mighty denon AVP flagship I owned for some 10 years... then I'd certainly consider....

Guest Sime
8 hours ago, :) al said:

. am not one to keep up with joneses

Upgrading isn’t just about this. I only say this because it keeps being mentioned here. 

Ive read a lot of the thread over at AVS, and all the talk about no pro-mic is kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

9 minutes ago, Sime said:

Upgrading isn’t just about this. I only say this because it keeps being mentioned here. 

Ive read a lot of the thread over at AVS, and all the talk about no pro-mic is kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

its not about it for me either, i hope appreciate my approach is not upgrading for upgrade sake, ie next model out so must get it (every one else is getting it - joneses) kind of thing. dont take this personally, it wasnt aimed at you or anything, I totally understand your reasons, I was talking from my perspective as you asked the question of me.

the no pro mic is a real pity....but even if it did have it, the 8805 is not something i would upgrade to at this point. my concern is re pro mic going forward. and knowing with inside knowledge why it was done (just to remove the pc aspect) I think its a wrong move. I will keep on behind scenes see what I can do to rectify. I personally still dont see why pro mic cant be used with the app. the mic doesnt plug into the pc ... it plugs into processor. and am not hung up on the pc aspect, but i would rather the better calibrated mic be used if can.

but in anycase am happy where am at, so will sit tight as long a need be. decide when come to any bridges down the track.

Ok reading back through my last few posts i think i have not quite understood the speaker config when i talked about 13.2

More correctly put should have been - 9.2.4 ( This is what i want to achieve with the 8802a) or is it only capable of 7.2.4 and 9.2.2

So bottom line is can i achieve 9.2.4 with 8802a or do i need to have the 8805 to get 9.2.4

I am very new to the ATMOS / DTS:X formats and currently running traditional 7.1 so i hope the above has cleared up what i am trying to achieve with the configuration i desire regardless of which unit utilises the pro mic thing.

I very much appreciate your help and info provided - thanks

Have had a look at the AV8802a user manual, there is a surround table configuration that suggest it does 9.2.4, otherwise contact the Aust. distributor to try and get a definitive answer.

I’m currently set up for only 5.2 but will eventually set it up as 5.2.4 or maybe with the front high effect speakers as 7.2.4 if it allows.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ian13 said:

Ok reading back through my last few posts i think i have not quite understood the speaker config when i talked about 13.2

More correctly put should have been - 9.2.4 ( This is what i want to achieve with the 8802a) or is it only capable of 7.2.4 and 9.2.2

So bottom line is can i achieve 9.2.4 with 8802a or do i need to have the 8805 to get 9.2.4

To put it less ambiguously Ian ;yes discrete processing is maximum 7.2.4 or 9.2.2 for the 8802a . Why I was wondering if the manual would allow your back surrounds to be repurposed as front wides or not ? The extra balanced outs can be reconfigured for neural and dsu . Bottom line 9.2.4 discrete is 8805 with its griffin light processors ; not the early falcon processors in the 8802a 

While this processor will only output 11.2 channels at any one time the additional connections can be user-configured. So, for example, you can have 7.2.4 – with four Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers – and have front height speakers connected and simply switch between the two depending on content.

• Like 1

A quick comparison of Australian vs USA pricing for the Marantz AV8805:

Australian RRP including  10% GST                          $6730

USA MSRP:  $4500  USD which is  $5965 AU

Add State Sales Tax  (around 9%)      537  total       $6506

Not all US states have retail sales tax but most do.  

Big thanks goes out to those who have provided me with info to help me understand both the 8802a and 8805 offerings speaker configuration wise and Audyessy offerings which has helped me greatly to make the right decision towards the correct pre amp/processor to suit the setup i truly want - Thanks.

Have passed on the 8802a due to its not being able to allow me to run a 9.2.4 setup.

• Like 1