Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

50 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Better to spend money on having decent speskers. The most up to date processers running a bunch of crap speakets still sounds bad

Again, yeah well I’ve kinda done that. 

Hint, the bit about the speakers. 

My initial response was to his comment “that is not a sentence” was “your one of those people “ meaning we have a possible grammar nazi. 

He then went on a rant about D/A converting yadda yadda. 

If my my original misunderstood comment was, well, missunderstood, his response  should have been “you have done what already?” 

Same page now?

Edited by Sime V2

2 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

The brightness on mine very very rarely bothers me now, but if it does it’s usually recording related. It’s the best that System has ever sounded currently. 

If your only hearing brightness on certain tracks that attests to the quality of your system now. Not all recordings, mixes, masters are created equal. I saw earlier someone was saying spotify premium sounded terrible... That's good! It does sound terrible when compared to Tidal or most uncompressed formats. I f you think it's fine either your system or your ears aren't up to scratch. Does the 8805 sound as good as a dedicated setup? Who knows...but Id bet the extra money is better spent on one system. If 2ch is very important to you, get an awesome stand alone da. Spend the money buying a whole second setup would cost on just getting the first right, power, cables (price doesn't always equal quality either) dac/streamer/cd, linear power supplies where relevant... No point buying a second pre... The difference from that alone would be much less than the sum of all the other parts... 

51 minutes ago, Savingslowly said:

If 2ch is very important to you, get an awesome stand alone da.

I have a Chord M Scaler and the Qutest DAC ?

My comment about the brightness of tracks is simply that, I know why it’s doing so, but you have to know that the 8805 when new made everything sound yuk to start (2 ch) and finally now it’s being a well behaved lad. Things sound a million times better with the 8805 compared to the 8801, and the Chord stuff pushed that limit further. If you read my signature you’ll see that I’m running an 8805 in a best case scenario as far as supporting equipment. 

Edited by Sime V2

There's certainly some BS being discussed here today. The AV8805 is up there with the best. Any professional will agree. Of you want better, you can pay more. That link to some random review has NO WEIGHT WHAT SO EVER. Prob some uni student.

The AV8805 Is a amazing sounding pure amp, anyone that had a idea will ignore all the BS noted today.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2019 at 12:15 PM, Savingslowly said:

Curious how well run in the Marantz was? I have an 8805 which is replacing a cambridge 751r I had been using as a pre. Emotiva XPA5 gen 3 amp. I also tried an Anthem AVM60 in the interim. I do know what people say about the Marantz being a tad bright but it's purely run in. I've had mine for a week now and it's already beginning to settle in and open up, although the tonal balance can still jump around a bit but I find this with most signal components, dacs, pre's etc. 

Originally I bought the anthem avm60 as I was struggling to justify the extra cost of the 8805. The Anthem was very very good for movies although the centre vocal was still not quite right (cambridge was pretty bad, Marantz is incredible!) AVM had awesome attack and dynamics etc. For 2 ch music it was just too forward and fatiguing in the 2khz to 5khz region. To the point I couldn't live with it. Had it in for 10 days running constantly it opened up a little but the character was still there so I went the marantz and it's already sounding more tonally accurate and I'm also noticing the dynamics are gradually improving. There no win win though... I did find the upper treble a little cleaner on the Anthem and drums a little punchier, although the Marantz has more Caps etc so it's likely the run in will take a little longer to reach full potential. My Mytek liberty took a good 10 days before I thought I hadn't wasted my money so sometimes you just need to be patient! 

I think I was one of the first few people that got the Marantz 8805, I pre-ordered it a while back. The unit when compared would of had at least a few months of usage. Definitely runned in, I did notice there are changes in the first couple of weeks, the sound definitely improved from fresh out of the box.

• Like 2

On 30/03/2019 at 2:07 PM, Sime V2 said:

My initial response was to his comment “that is not a sentence” was “your one of those people “ meaning we have a possible grammar nazi. 

He then went on a rant about D/A converting yadda yadda. 

If my my original misunderstood comment was, well, missunderstood, his response  should have been “you have done what already?” 

Same page now?

Will not engage with you again. I don't wish to waste my time. 

Hi all, moving on, LOL.

Today i got an estimated 50% improvement in the way that my 8805 separates out the surround channels!!!

How you might ask?

Not a better amp or better speakers, which is where you might expect to gain such, but in changing my HDMI leads !!

I was already running Audioquest Cinamin 4k cables worth about $100 a piece. I run an oppo205 and run the main- picture dirrectly to my 4k tv and then use the audio only to the Marantz to utilise reduced jitter and give better clocking with picture stripped out and not creating unwanted noise.

The sound up front had aready been quite good but the surround separation was non distinct at best.

I got hold of two second hand Wireworld Silver Starlight high speed 4k compatible hdmi cables and swapped out the Audioquest and WOW the colours where sharper and brighter.

Now you wouldn't think to put a $1,000 hdmi cable in to a hdmi vs1.4 audio only jack from the Oppo to the Marantz but if you hadn't, you should!!!

Sitting down watching a

DTS Master 7.1 show and the additional separation that came from the surround was staggering.

Isolated effects sounds had found separation and clarity, now object based from specific speakers, an outstanding improvement !!!

The front stage also found additional bass weight and improved sound, even the sub was crisper.

Consider it, all that musical information with all those seperate channels running through one HDMI lead.

Conclusion:

Get the best hdmi leads you can for theatre viewing and multichannel sound

• 2 months later...

Has any one else experienced on the 8805 , or other Marantz or Denon products that when you have a 32kHz stereo signal, that you cannot upmix to Dolby surround or DTS mode? On the Denon, this is less of an issue as Matrix mode can be selected. However on the 8805, no such mode exists. 

Now typically this is not an issue as very little content comes across in 32Khz - however the newish Kayo streaming platform does and it would be nice to be able to upmix to some sort of surround with commentary out of the centre channel. Any thoughts? Using Kodi to stream Kayo - not sure if Apple TV or Chromecast presents the same limitation.

I got hold of two second hand Wireworld Silver Starlight high speed 4k compatible hdmi cables and swapped out the Audioquest and WOW the colours where sharper and brighter.

Now you wouldn't think to put a $1,000 hdmi cable in to a hdmi vs1.4 audio only jack from the Oppo to the Marantz but if you hadn't, you should!!!

Get the best hdmi leads you can for theatre viewing and multichannel sound

Sorry, but that is not true. HDMI is a packetised protocol so as long as you are getting an error free signal, there is no capacity for there to be a difference between cables. You can feel free to do what you want, but it should be called out for anyone else who might waste money on this. HDMI as an interface is not dissimilar to ethernet in many respects... provided the cable is providing error free transmission there is no loss. Audioholics did a good segment on it:.

FYI I have been required to use applications where HDMI signals must be converted to fibre and back for long distances (longest I have seen is 80km so far). It can be switched almost like a network packet with the right equipment.

Edited by adprom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adprom said:

Has any one else experienced on the 8805 , or other Marantz or Denon products that when you have a 32kHz stereo signal, that you cannot upmix to Dolby surround or DTS mode? On the Denon, this is less of an issue as Matrix mode can be selected. However on the 8805, no such mode exists. 

Now typically this is not an issue as very little content comes across in 32Khz - however the newish Kayo streaming platform does and it would be nice to be able to upmix to some sort of surround with commentary out of the centre channel. Any thoughts? Using Kodi to stream Kayo - not sure if Apple TV or Chromecast presents the same limitation.

Maybe wrong adprom but when you say 32khz I assume you mean 12bit 32khz low quality sound ? If so its understandable that the Marantz dsp's are programmed to recognise higher quality common bit rates like 16/44.1 cd quality and better . This possibly equates to a similar instance like an Integra I once had that could decode mpeg audio from a fta channel ; nothing else on the market could as it was such a niche need :)

Can you try analogue in and use your a/d converters  ? that will enable your dsp upmixers certainly  ; no Kodi expert here though :winky:

4 minutes ago, adprom said:

It is 32Khz 16bit - not hugely rare, but not exactly common either. Kayo actually use this as their audio format... I have no idea why. Might email them.

Will be interesting to know their reasons . Possibly something to do with sending a lower bitrate audio to help the video get the bandwidth? Or like the AAC codec is meant to sound better than mp3 audio at the same bit  rate  ?guessing though..

Maybe Marantz can do a new firmware if its only lpcm though and not some fancy codec :)

They have plenty of bandwidth on Kayo - I have seen streams up to 12Mbps - but yes, AAC does compress nicely. The device decodes it and spits PCM out to the receiver.

AAC has been around for a long time. Not the nicest codec but not really much of an issue for sport.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

new update available :)

AV8805 Firmware Update
Thank you for using Marantz products. 
We provide the latest firmware so that you can use the product more comfortably.

Firmware improvements

■ 2020/07/29

[Version: 7500-8270-9182-2065]

(1) Improves stability when updating the network.

3 hours ago, franin said:

Would love to see if the 8805 will get the DTS X PRO update 

Would spit chips if it was just the Denon Frank :) Your safe 

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2930176-marantz-av8805-15-2-xlr-pre-pro-official-thread-174.html#post59754600

JD mentioned a US December firmware in these problem times ?

3 hours ago, franin said:

Would love to see if the 8805 will get the DTS X PRO update 

be surprised if didnt... but you planning on going beyond 11.1 Frank ? I think thats only benefit of dts-X pro :) 

I will say DTS-X in fact even neural -x is superb ! we just dont get enough of dts-x in my opinion ....

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

be surprised if didnt... but you planning on going beyond 11.1 Frank ? I think thats only benefit of dts-X pro :) 

I will say DTS-X in fact even neural -x is superb ! we just dont get enough of dts-x in my opinion ....

Not really. But it’s good to know if we get it . :)

• Like 1

If you  have ceiling speakers, may I suggest giving Auro 3D a go.   It technically requires a different  layout to ATMOS and DTS-X, but I have found that on some ( not all)  TrueHD / DTS-HD/ Atmos/ DTS-X  audio tracks,  Auro-3D can provide a more convincing  and immersive performance.  

As I said,  it may not be better in every case but it was enough for me to understand why Dolby was so worried about the threat of  Auro-3D   that it considered  prohibiting  the use of Auro-3D  to process  Dolby codecs. 

7 minutes ago, TP1 said:

f you  have ceiling speakers, may I suggest giving Auro 3D a go.   It technically requires a different  layout to ATMOS and DTS-X, but I have found that on some ( not all)  TrueHD / DTS-HD/ Atmos/ DTS-X  audio tracks,  Auro-3D can provide a more convincing  and immersive performance.

ive got auro3D capability but i will say it is a more front on experience ... likely why tend to use it more for concerts and such which are more front on...

7 minutes ago, TP1 said:

As I said,  it may not be better in every case but it was enough for me to understand why Dolby was so worried about the threat of  Auro-3D   that it considered  prohibiting  the use of Auro-3D  to process  Dolby codecs. 

am not sure auro3D is object based though ?  but good to see dts-x join auro3D with the VOG capability ...

29 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I've got auro3D capability but i will say it is a more front on experience ... likely why tend to use it more for concerts and such which are more front on...

That isn't my experience - quite the contrary in fact.  Auro-3D is designed as a 3D immersive codec so a front end-emphasis is definitely not what is supposed to happen.    I think a lot  depends on the  speaker setup/positioning   and the source material.   I can't recall if  Marantz  has much tweaking room with Auro-3D but I've managed to tweak the Lyngdorf  and I prefer Auro with quite a few of the later releases.  However, I do recall  being very impressed with Auro-3D on the Marantz 8805  while watching Mission Impossible- Rogue Nation.  Auro-3d  was far more convincing with the Atmos sound track than the others. 

I'

Edited by TP1

14 minutes ago, TP1 said:

That isn't my experience - quite the contrary in fact.  Auro-3D is designed as a 3D immersive codec so a front end-emphasis is definitely not what is supposed to happen.    I think a lot  depends on the  speaker setup/positioning   and the source material.   I can't recall if  Marantz  has much tweaking room with Auro-3D but I've managed to tweak the Lyngdorf  and I prefer Auro with quite a few of the later releases.  However, I do recall  being very impressed with Auro-3D on the Marantz 8805  while watching Mission Impossible- Rogue Nation.  Auro-3d  was far more convincing with the Atmos sound track than the others. 

I'

It actually drops the two rear channels   on marantz for auro3D with both movies and music have utilised on format And hence looses the rear stage to be more front and top focussed with vog it adds. Which is fine music wise. Works very effectively.

and yes auro3D is not object based as dts-x or atmos as understand ... again not huge consequence for music that doesn’t have objects flying around and such. Mostly static instruments vocals such.