Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

On 04/02/2019 at 8:16 AM, Sime V2 said:

@Quark the 8805 is a completely different sound over the 8801, and it’s particular sound, especially it’s edge on being at times, metallic sounding,  can’t be eq’ed out simply. Believe me, I’ve tried. And if you haven’t heard one as you say, especially if you haven’t compared the two models, then it’ll be harder for you to grasp the issue. 

That being said, even with its flaws, the 8805 is substantially better than the 8801. Only the introduction of the M Scaler has Made me happier with the 8805. 

@Sime V2 you've provided a very good description of the sound of the 8805/8802a through B&W 804D3 speakers... metallic at times, or I sometimes perceive it as overly electrical or over energised. As mentioned before I found it most disturbing on some vocals, but for acoustic instruments it seems to give a greater impression of detail so works well there. And as you say, dependent very much on the recording. Over time my ear has become used to the sound but I remember being put off by it at times.

For me I found that recently adding a good quality sub-woofer (Rel S/3 SHO) seemed to balance out the sound nicely and warmed up the sound.

Make no mistake, I think the sound is outstanding, but when we get to this level of tweaking our systems we want things to be perfect. :)

The description of the 2 channel sound on this pre is the exact same sound i have found on all modern AVR's, especially this comment. Power amps just seem to well amplify the problem.

6 hours ago, Ed Sky said:

I found it most disturbing on some vocals, but for acoustic instruments it seems to give a greater impression of detail so works well there

The only way to improve is either an integrated or pre amp with HT bypass or super duper DAC and selecting direct mode. I had to go back a few years and got an older integra AVR, 

• Like 2

On 04/02/2019 at 5:16 AM, Sime V2 said:

@Quark the 8805 is a completely different sound over the 8801, and it’s particular sound, especially it’s edge on being at times, metallic sounding,  can’t be eq’ed out simply. Believe me, I’ve tried. And if you haven’t heard one as you say, especially if you haven’t compared the two models, then it’ll be harder for you to grasp the issue. 

That being said, even with its flaws, the 8805 is substantially better than the 8801. Only the introduction of the M Scaler has Made me happier with the 8805. 

The 8805 is virtually identical to the 8802A  sonically.   Reviews on AVS have praised the 8802A and  8805 over 880I. I  should  add that I don't use my theatre system for 2 channel music and I have never been happy with even the very best AV pre/pros  for this purpose, although I didn't find the 8805 sound balance to be overly bright for 2 channel music ( after run -in).  I  do use  mono blocks for the front 3 speakers (that were designed for 2 channel hifi)  which would help with the sound balance.

I also use a balanced and isolating transformer to power all source units and the 8805. This cleans up the power being fed to the units and audibly reduces "edginess" as well as dropping the noise floor.   In addition, all source units now use high quality linear power supplies, including Oppo 203.    Apart from audio, these enhancements improve video performance as well. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have jumped onto the AV8805 bandwagon. Just picked up the unit from Life Style Store yesterday and it has replaced the AV7704. So far so good just quick audyssey setup and so far the sound is more detailed compared to the AV7704. Will do more tweaks later. Any tips / recommendations i have used the app and have been using the full range at the moment and have not dropped the eq cut freq.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, powerav said:

The only way to improve is either an integrated or pre amp with HT bypass or super duper DAC and selecting direct mode. I had to go back a few years and got an older integra AVR, 

@powerav thanks for this feedback. I had been wondering if purchasing a good DAC would resolve the problem, and also if running this through direct mode of the Marantz would allow its full potential.

A new DAC is likely the next purchase I would make. I'd be interested to know which DACs to consider, but don't want to put this thread off track. Maybe I'll start a new thread sometime or chat via private messaging. I know @Sime V2 has a mytek HiFi Brooklyn DAC+ if I remember correctly. I know also that my sound dealer is very keen to sell me a PS Audio Directstream DAC :)

On 04/02/2019 at 9:39 PM, Perth.hifi said:

I have yet to swap over the pre to see how the 8801 sounds again.. Its not a quick process with my rack... 

I have 5 x Parasound amps, so can't compare with another brand...

Its clearly more top end, considerably different, perhaps my ears are not used to it yet, does it need a break in period? What's the best quality music i can trial, is spotify premium a bad medium? Id have to say, some acoustic tracks sound ok, but must top 40 stuff is kinda unsatisfying to listen to. I wouldn't say it's terrible, just not what i expected.. i have Focal speakers too, so i have a double wammie, in terms of high highs from speakers and from the pre amp. The parssound amps are warm, but perhaps the focals do not suit this pre amplifier? Thoughts? I have the Focal 826v Chorus range, was considering the Aria range.. but now unsure.

Don't get me wrong, this is a high end sound machine, and im just at the early stages of judging. 4 to 5 weeks max

What settings should i have this on for music?

Try to enable the "cinema EQ" setting. It is default to "off". This softens the edge of the metallic sound. I prefer having it enabled for watching movie / concert. Also, I find the 8805 needs about a week or 2 to burn in properly, so out of the box it does sound a bit more harsh than the traditional marantz sound.

I find it is pretty good now, probably not as good as the Audiocontrol M3 for music and concert, but the Audessey calibration with Atmos is sensational.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tasso said:

although I didn't find the 8805 sound balance to be overly bright for 2 channel music ( after run -in)

With or without Audessey running?

Try to enable the "cinema EQ" setting. It is default to "off". This softens the edge of the metallic sound. I prefer having it enabled for watching movie / concert. Also, I find the 8805 needs about a week or 2 to burn in properly, so out of the box it does sound a bit more harsh than the traditional marantz sound.

I find it is pretty good now, probably not as good as the Audiocontrol M3 for music and concert, but the Audessey calibration with Atmos is sensational.

Hi mate,

I ran Audessey when i got it 6 weeks back, thou now appears that its greyed out, unable to turn it on? Does that mean ive lost my original 8x spot mic testing results? Would that cause it to grey out? Hoping itll settle down as i feel maybe i might move this pre amp onto someone's else's system components that are a better fit... i must admit thou, the theatre surround sound is brilliant!!!! it's just my 2 channel listening that's not right atm. I've also tryed direct mode, much the same, alittle smoother. If i have to run another DAC for music, should i just get a marantz lower pre and then get a another musical preamp for 2 ch music playback?

FOCAL SPEAKERS?

Is this pre amp the wrong choice with Focal 826v towers? And 706 surrounds?

STREAMING Q?

Is there any way to improve the heos streaming quality? Heos streaming via Tidal or Spotify, is this a digital source if I'm correct or analogue?

OPPO DAC Q?

On another note, is there a way to direct music streaming to my OPPO105 dac? From memory i preferred the oppo 105 dac to the AV8801. i used to play via XLR from oppo to marantz on my AV8801.

3 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Hi mate,

I ran Audessey when i got it 6 weeks back, thou now appears that its greyed out, unable to turn it on? Does that mean ive lost my original 8x spot mic testing results? Would that cause it to grey out? Hoping itll settle down as i feel maybe i might move this pre amp on your someone's else's system components that are a better fit... i must i think the theatre surround sound is brilliant, it's just my 2 channel listening that's not right atm. I'm also trying direct mode. If i have to run another DAC for music, should i just get a marantz lower pre and then get a another musical preamp for 2 ch music playback?

FOCAL SPEAKERS?
Is this pre amp the wrong choice with Focal 826v towers? And 706 surrounds?

STREAMING Q?
Is there any way to improve the heos streaming quality? Heos streaming via Tidal or Spotify, is this a digital source if I'm correct or analogue?

OPPO DAC Q?
On another note, is there a way to direct music streaming to my OPPO105 dac? From memory i preferred the oppo 105 dac to the AV8801. i used to play via XLR from oppo to marantz on my AV8801.

Are you running Audessey Reference? I see the cinema EQ in the sound mode I think. Never had it greyed out. I only use 6 points of data, dont need 8 for my case.

Are you running Audessey Reference? I see the cinema EQ in the sound mode I think. Never had it greyed out. I only use 6 points of data, dont need 8 for my case.
I don't have reference or any options to enable audessey , that's why I'm confused. I can think that its lost my initial mic testing settings...

55 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

@Perth.hifi I’m trying to remember how and why the Audessey setting gets blacked out……………………

Anything to do with the graphic eq negating the audyssey ? Seems they shift options around the sub menu's a bit..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1430049-official-denon-avr-4520ci-thread-460.html#post54980118

• Like 1

Anything to do with the graphic eq negating the audyssey ? Seems they shift options around the sub menu's a bit..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1430049-official-denon-avr-4520ci-thread-460.html#post54980118
Ive tried turning off eq, still no option available... I'm still confused how music sounded ok first 2 weeks, but now completely different...

3 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

I don't have reference or any options to enable audessey , that's why I'm confused. I can think that its lost my initial mic testing settings...

If you change some settings on the Marantz it resets Audyssey, e.g. if you add in a centre channel. If you initiate Audyssey setup again it will give you an option to restore previous settings.

• Like 1

If you change some settings on the Marantz it resets Audyssey, e.g. if you add in a centre channel. If you initiate Audyssey setup again it will give you an option to restore previous settings.
Ok. I'll try to restore tonight. The only items i think i changed were the equaliser settings on the centre channel. Would that have screwed it?

27 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Ok. I'll try to restore tonight. The only items i think i changed were the equaliser settings on the centre channel. Would that have screwed it?

I’m not sure, though certainly you would have to turn EQ off before Audyssey options would be enabled again.

Edited by Ed Sky

Hi

A little bizarre. So i restored Audyssey tonight. Then went to turn Eq off, this then enabled Audyssey to come back. BUT....the moment i went to increase the incredibly low levels that Audyssey set, it seems to them lock you out of turning it on or off. Its actually a very confusing thing. I'm 90% sure in the AV8801 you could do tweaks and always able to switch the setting on again and adjust the other settings. Got me stumped. Thou i have to admit spotify streaming tonight was awesome. There was also a HEOS UPDATE tonight, not sure if that had anything to do with it. And considering it was only spotify, it still sounded good.

Its everyone's recommendation to just adjust the equaliser, and bypass audyssey completely? And can anyone conform that their audyssey is also greyed out?

Cheers

• Like 1

And i cant for the life of me remember why these units black out options. I know that on my 8801 there was an option blacked out, and you had to change a setting somewhere else to enable it. 

Edited by Sime V2

I have lower marantz and audessy is grey out whenever I change the speaker layout, eg adding a sub or removing a speaker. Can do other tweeks like level and distance and tone. 

If you like fine tuning then I strongly recommend you to get the audessy app. It will allow you to do the tunning on your phone or tablet and save the profile. 

Edited by sillygogo1
  • Like 2

On 06/02/2019 at 1:21 PM, Sime V2 said:

With or without Audessey running?

For 2 channel I used the  "Pure Direct"   setting .

There are so many factors that can contribute to an edgy sound  but I would suggest that you try one thing first ( if not done so already).    Angle the front speakers a bit more in an  outward direction  from the listening position. Bright sounds are highly directional and  the speaker angle does affect the tonal balance.  It may help a bit.

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Update. This pre (8805) now sounds absolutely BRILLIANT again.. I'm so clueless as to why i had a week where it sounded harsh. Could it be that my ears needed to adjust? I'm yet to reconnect the 8801 to see how it compares... proposing to simply relocate this to my family room, and have another awesome setup there, since I'm unable to move the 8801...

I believe Focal and Marantz a s Parasound are a good match combo.

• Like 2

@Perth.hifi funny that, in the last 3 weeks or so, my m Scaler/8805 combination has dramatically changed also, I no longer have issues at all with music on the 8805, actually I look forward to listening to it more than I ever have. The M Scaler is a freakish piece of kit. 

18 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Update. This pre (8805) now sounds absolutely BRILLIANT again.. I'm so clueless as to why i had a week where it sounded harsh. Could it be that my ears needed to adjust? 

There could be a bit of that but the 8805 has been consistently reported by users as improving its sound significantly with use.  I'm  glad that you and @Sime V2 have  started to emerge from the run-in period and can enjoy your new gear.