Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

@:) al the heat build up is purely from the 8801, there’s two amps under it, the 1552 which only runs probably twice a week if that and under that is a 1581 that barely gets above ambient. The corner that it sits it gets very little air flow and even with the AC on, it has very little effect in the bathroom, which is where the system sits. All the heat is coming from the PSU, as you can feel if you put your hand on the bottom of it between the volume control and the circle display. It would be fine if I had a house that had normal climate control and plenty of space around it. 

As for the hole where the fridge was, well that’s not happening anytime soon with my current shoulder issues. 

And I cant stack the 8801 under the rotels as they are depper than the 8801, plus getting to the back of the 8801 for connections would be a nightmare, more so than it already is. 

@blybo as for getting the 7702, not going to happen. The 880x series are as good as you can get in this area/price range, and  also do not think my space is a disadvantage, you would actually be surprised at what that room sounds like, as everyone who has been in there will say. Just because it doesn’t fit the mold of a perfect room, doesn’t mean it’s a bad room. To this day I still don’t hear other systems I prefer. But I could talk all day to convince anyone this, it has to be heard I guess. 

There’s heat coming from its PSU simply because it’s got a good PSU in it, going to another device that’s cooler is counter productive. The heat I can deal with, but it just mean a refresh every so often. 

And  no more trying to convince me of the 8802 or the pro kit, it’s not going to happen. The guys at Miranda Hi-Fi went to a course learning the new Audyssey in the 8805 and it’s a different beast compared to the old, but I have no detail as to why. 

I havnt had the need for the pro kit and won’t in the future, but we have already been through this. I’m not a stupid as some my think, I’ve been listening to audio since the 80’s and I know what sound I like and that’s what my current system is tailored for. 

Every change I’ve made to it has been favorable, if it’s not, I get rid of it, as was the case of a PSU I bought for the Qutest. I have a very specific sound signature I like, so much so that I was recommended to get the current top of the line pre-pro from Arcam, but the only reason why I won’t is because I like the current tone my system has now. The 8805 will more than likely fit into that tone but which more finesse in its pre section some have said it’ll have. 

And again, it’s not about the money but the system being the best it can be. 

Edited by Sime

And on the subject of eq’ing, pro kits etc. my system overall 99’% of the time is two channel. Like everyone else, I’ll run the Audyssey calibration to give me a baseline, and that base line is particularly for bass, being as my room has a bass bump in it. 

As soon as the calibration is done, I transfer the Audyssey flat setting directly into the eq setting, which is where all my music is played through, no music is played with Audyssey, even music videos are played in eq mode. 

At that point the base management has pretty much sorted out the base and then I mess around with all the mid-high frequencies till I get it where I like. Now the 8801 only has a 9 point eq so I’m kinda hoping the 8805 will have more. 

All I need is a good baseline for the bass management and the rest I do myself. 

As for movies I use Audyssey and the settings it wants,  being as I watch movies loud and it’s keeps it in control in that space, but it’s never critically analyzed by me simply because this day and age, I don’t really care for movie sound tracks. 

The top line pre-pros for me are to have the best 2ch audio I can get whilst still having HT capability. HT bypass is not an option being even for two channel, I still need base management with a sub. The 805’s in that space get to thick in the mid bass when running full range. But that’s good for acoustic/classical music, so I can at least switch between the two. 

Beleive me i I understand why your trying to help, and I appreciate it, but just remember, I didn’t ask for help, I know what I’m doing and what I want :)

17 minutes ago, Sime said:

I didn’t ask for help, I know what I’m doing and what I want :)

:lol:, didn't you start this thread?

Good luck with the 8805. Perhaps ask @:) al how many points the pro kit can eq in the "flat" or as some call it, the music curve. I suspect far more than the app will as the app is in many ways a dumbed down version of pro calibration, especially mic quality

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

Good luck with the 8805

Why would anyone need any luck?

Im seriously getting a tad annoyed with your constant grating over this, why do you actually care if I get one or the other. 

1 minute ago, Sime said:

Why would anyone need any luck?

Im seriously getting a tad annoyed with your constant grating over this, why do you actually care if I get one or the other. 

Chill. It was a sincere comment. You really do read too much into things at times.

9 minutes ago, blybo said:

Good luck with the 8805. Perhaps ask @:) al how many points the pro kit can eq in the "flat" or as some call it, the music curve. I suspect far more than the app will as the app is in many ways a dumbed down version of pro calibration, especially mic quality

Context, good luck with the 8805 followed by more information about the 8802 with pro mic. Context here is that one is better than the other, so good luck ;) 

Do I read into things to much, no I read whats on the page and being I have a different brain than you, I see things how I interpret them. When it comes to you conveying you thoughts in text, it’s up to you to make sure your point is getting across without confusion. It’s why many of my post are edited because I re-read it and can see where a point I’m making might not be clear, or as best as I possibly can :)  (smiley face for non offensive reply)

58 minutes ago, blybo said:

okay okay. Again, good luck

thought I was pretty clear the 2nd time. And yes I can see in hindsight how I was taken out of context 1st time round

The ghost of @POWER AV lives on!

In no way shape or form do I see sime resembling anything remotely Powerav like in his purchasing patterns, total opposite I would say. But I do see the blybo of convincing others that his way is best come shining through!

I used to love the old blybo v powerav duals of old which only really happened because two men cannot share the the same ideals and experiences no matter how blue one gets in the face trying to convince the other they should listen to them because they think they are right! Just never ever going to happen!

sime wants to spend big on an new pre pro to give him another 4-6 years when his other kit justifies the spend......, good luck and enjoy I say, he knows his system best and can determine the ROI for himself!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Hi-Fi Whipped

It was a joke Joyce, but @Sime didn’t see the funny side.

I was not trying to convince him of anything EXCEPT not dismissing the current model out of hand, as it has some benefits over the one that will replace it. I have first hand experience with that benefit. Do you? It’s got nothing to do with “my way being best”, I’ve learnt heaps over the years in AV and have followed sage advice along a fairly obvious and well trodden road map

Some people just want the new model no matter what and that’s fine too, I can see the reasoning especially with AV gear which depreciates very quickly. 

Edited by blybo

I simply dont want nor need the pro mic, and if anything, the 8805 should be the better machine overall regardless of the mic. 

And I do not care about the cost. It’s irrelevant. 

Its also for me, and I’m not saying this is a good thing, a physiological thing, which a lot with hi-fi is to a degree. I don’t like the upgrade itus delema, when I bought my 805D2’s and a few months later the D3’s suddenly appeared, and wrongly, it made me not want my D2’s anymore (rightly so, massive improvement) so I had to wait a year till I could get them, and it was this that made me realize that for me, I have to make sure when I buy anything, I won’t be looking over my shoulder at what I should’ve got instead. 

With the 8805, once that purchase is made, the buck stops there. There’s no what ifs, there’s no looking at reviews seeing people go “wow, the audio improvements are great” and me going, dam, should have got it. 

I hate shoulda, coulda, woulda. 

I can bet my life, even without the pro mic, it’ll be a better machine, and as said earlier, a fresh start (all psychological) and to me, that’s money well spent. Sad as it is, my system is my life, I spend more time with it than the missus, so I have to be mentally happy with it, and like it’s sound to lol. 

I know now if I bought the 8802, the 8805 would simply be a torment, a torment I don’t need. 

On 2/18/2018 at 7:38 AM, sr71kadena said:

Would you guys recommend one of the Marantz 8805 to replace my Lexicon MC14/SP3? I have to replace my processor and looking at options with the Atmos. I have considered the AVM60 by Anthem as well.

You'r funny, "replace a Lexicon with a Marantz"...  hi-end with a consumer product...

Lyn MP50 or wait for the ATI ATP16.

4 hours ago, nadyn said:

You'r funny, "replace a Lexicon with a Marantz"...  hi-end with a consumer product...

while i dont dispute how good some of this gear is, no idea as not explored. what i will say is dont dismiss the marantz as just some "consumer product". i have experienced lower marantz processors in rooms where people have spent in order of $250k on just the room itself to get right let alone the gear involved ! and the marantz there has worked a treat their room and system justice.

have to also keep in mind the amount of work behind pieces like this marantz here. inside knowledge tells us there is in order of 200+ marantz engineers that work on these models to get to market. compare that with the small handful at other OEMs - literally no one else has this kind of resource behind their product. a lot goes in these products and are available to humble folk at a pretty amazing price for what get for it :) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nadyn said:

We both know that the values in Oz are overinflated. So being overpriced won't make it hi-end.

Your the one quoting hi-end here , no one else. You do realize there’s a big gap between consumer and high end?

You sound like an audio snob. 

48 minutes ago, nadyn said:

We both know that the values in Oz are overinflated. So being overpriced won't make it hi-end.

And who pays rrp ?

and the over inflation goes right across no matter what buy

last “high end” unit I had cost locally twice the marantz here....but sold at half that in the us :D

price is never a good guide .....

On 3/21/2018 at 8:46 AM, nadyn said:

Put a Lexicon badge on an Oppo and is it suddenly Hi-End? :huh:

:fear:

:lol:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, after sitting on the fence I’ve placed an order on one of the last two available new Marantz AV8802a currently with the Aust. Distributor, the price on the outgoing AV8802a was too compelling to pass up, wasn’t enough added to AV8805 that I would benefit to pay the premium in price.

Should pickup from a Sydney HiFi dealer over the next week.

JDH

• Like 2