Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

21 minutes ago, Sime said:

That app does sound interesting. 

When researching a while back I came to the conclusion that the app appears to be a dumbed down version of what Audyssey Pro is capable of software wise, let alone the pro mic used by pro calibration kit, compared with the toy mics supplied with the processors. I see it as a step backwards from what the 8802/3 are capable of in regards to room eq and tweaking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, blybo said:

When researching a while back I came to the conclusion that the app appears to be a dumbed down version of what Audyssey Pro is capable of software wise, let alone the pro mic used by pro calibration kit, compared with the toy mics supplied with the processors. I see it as a step backwards from what the 8802/3 are capable of in regards to room eq and tweaking.

yes this is THE biggest flaw i see in this new series. falling back to just the cheap plastic uncalibrated mic upto 
+/-2db out ! thats just crazy. and yes the pro version now does all app can do and more and using a decent quality calibrated mic with its own unique calibration file for accuracy.

if i was in the market now I see no particular reason to grab this marantz and would be doing hardest to grab a 8802A before they disappear. keeping in mind marantz has promised the update this year to this unit too to bring upto spec video and hdmi wise for current needs so shouldnt need to feel left out.

2015 released D&M products that has had updates fed through and promised future updates still remain an extra ordinary buy for the moment. grab em while you can ! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sr71kadena said:

Would you guys recommend one of the Marantz 8805 to replace my Lexicon MC14/SP3? I have to replace my processor and looking at options with the Atmos. I have considered the AVM60 by Anthem as well.

Hmm ; the SP3 is considerably more upmarket pricewise ; since you haven't mentioned a price I wouldn't go past a Lyngdorf MP50 http://lyngdorf.com/mp-50/

A good flexible auto room eq with options to tailor the frequencies targeted with a good calibrated mic like a umik is what you should go for as mentioned. The Anthem has a good reputation with its latest generation ARC . Since your in the U.S. also check out the imminent Emotiva XMC1 GEN2 upgrades and also the  RMC1 if you want even better and not pay heaps :)

12 hours ago, sr71kadena said:

Would you guys recommend one of the Marantz 8805 to replace my Lexicon MC14/SP3? I have to replace my processor and looking at options with the Atmos. I have considered the AVM60 by Anthem as well.

Given how rapidly HT processors evolve I find it hard to see the value in getting anything more expensive than the Marantz or equivalent price unit.  Have not heard the AVM60  but 8802a was/is very good and assume the 8805 will be similar.

Of course if you have cash to burn  Datasat make a nice unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam said:

Given how rapidly HT processors evolve I find it hard to see the value in getting anything more expensive than the Marantz or equivalent price unit.  Have not heard the AVM60  but 8802a was/is very good and assume the 8805 will be similar.

Of course if you have cash to burn  Datasat make a nice unit.

I was going to suggest the ATI thats basically a dataset, but have just seen this note from steve H who is pretty close to these things,

"While the Marantz prepro's are NOT perfect, they are darn close to flawless. I wish I could say that for everyone. It's the difference between 200+ engineers and 2-3. It is what it is...

Re: the ATI processor. It's not coming to a "theater near you" anytime soon. ATI doesn't over promise and under deliver. But I am very much interested in putting it though it's paces when it is available. smile.gif"

hi point re marantz is a valid one too, he has visited marantz operations in japan, D&M (denon and marantz) are a giant. while he sells other brands he's made the point before where d&m has some 200+ engineers working on this stuff most other makers ...and there are only few have 2-3.... gives some idea of the scale and effort behind products like the marantz here. 

1 hour ago, Sime said:

Lol , I hope that quote mentioning the near flawless Marantz pre-pros includes my old boy the 8801 :) @:) al

hey sime, i think he is just trying to acknowledge nothing is perfect. but fair to say hard to flaw marantz last few processors 8801 included.

their support is getting pretty much hard to beat too i think. i had one hardware update on the 8802 already and they have promised next mid year to bring upto spec. not too many makers do this. 

1 hour ago, :) al said:

their support is getting pretty much hard to beat too i think. i had one hardware update on the 8802 already and they have promised next mid year to bring upto spec. not too many makers do this. 

That's the thing Al ; how much store do you put on upgradeability with HDMI versions changing far to quickly . Nobody wants to replace an exxy pre pro every other year . Consequently nobody minds paying a relatively small amount to keep things current . I think Denon may be going further in this direction with the coming AVC 8500H getting a hdmi upgrade from hdmi 2.0a to 2.1 ; nice .

One of the things I look for is the hdmi board being on a separate pcb for interchangeability :)

That ATI is indeed like a DATASAT LS10 ; not as dear as the RS20I  but still multiples of other brands with similar capabilities . Whats interesting is that it started out with parametric eq to get the cost down and now they have put dirac in it ..The ATI price will be interesting..

I've just ordered an 8802A.

Can I use the RCA pre-outs for front channels and XLR pre-outs for rear channels or does it need to be one or the other?

My other question is I'm not on line at home. Is that an issue for setup?

I am online at work so hopefully can install upgrades via USB.

1 hour ago, onthebeach said:

I've just ordered an 8802A.

Can I use the RCA pre-outs for front channels and XLR pre-outs for rear channels or does it need to be one or the other?

My other question is I'm not on line at home. Is that an issue for setup?

I am online at work so hopefully can install upgrades via USB.

congrats ! can mix match, just keep in mind when calibrating will see there is a difference in trims to compensate in the different level source.

not sure re usb updates, make sure supplied to you fully updated... and from there updates likely are few and far between. i know people who have never updated and still going with various units. is there no means of updating at home ? internet off phone or something. or borrowing a mobile dongle or something ?

• Like 1

I am doing something similar in that I am replacing a Denon AVP-A1HD with a Marantz 8805. I am worried about a drop off in sound quality - Denon is fully balanced with massive linear power supply - Marantz is single ended with SMPS. I figure I can tweak a few other variables to bring it back up.
Marantz does have superb video and audio processing though and since 4k, HDR etc are still evolving, I think it might pay not to invest too much at this point in time

18 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I am doing something similar in that I am replacing a Denon AVP-A1HD with a Marantz 8805. I am worried about a drop off in sound quality - Denon is fully balanced with massive linear power supply - Marantz is single ended with SMPS. I figure I can tweak a few other variables to bring it back up.
Marantz does have superb video and audio processing though and since 4k, HDR etc are still evolving, I think it might pay not to invest too much at this point in time

i did that as a fellow long term (8 years) avp-a1hd owner and mine was fully tricked out with all its updates and calibrated the same. yes the denon is a beast and a cut above. there isnt anything much on the market that comes close in my opinion. however the marantz is good and quite good ! to the point with atmos , dts-x, neural x and dolby surrounds upsampling its taken enjoyment to another level.

however i can easily say too if denon or marantz came out with something in the ilk of the big AVP id skip over in a heart beat :D  but in the mean time i'm hardly slumming it. the 8802A is a fantastic piece :). if just calibrate it to reference and use pro kit if can will be very pleased id suggest.

ps for record the marantz is not a SMPS but a linear supply and using a single toroidal.. where the mighty denon uses two much larger torroids in its place :D the denon is true balanced and a beast as such. 

• Like 1

congrats ! can mix match, just keep in mind when calibrating will see there is a difference in trims to compensate in the different level source.

not sure re usb updates, make sure supplied to you fully updated... and from there updates likely are few and far between. i know people who have never updated and still going with various units. is there no means of updating at home ? internet off phone or something. or borrowing a mobile dongle or something ?
Yes i use my phone for internet at home and cab use it as a hotspot. So its possible to use this to update? Cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Rang up for an eta for this machine this morning and it’s expected late April to the Melbourne wharehouse and at this moment in time, it’s expected RRP is $6730, though they said this may change. 

Edited by Sime

@blybo why do I ask, I’ve had the 8801 for over 3 years now, and it’s time for an upgrade, so how the hell does that put me in Powerav territory? You upgraded to an 8802a? What do I call you?

and no, I don’t find that comment funny. 

6 minutes ago, Sime said:

@blybo please explain? 

Seriously. 

Nothing serious about it, just a joke about buying gear you don't really need to. But hey, upgrading for upgrading's sake it a fine reason too... if you have the cash to not worry too much about such expenditure. I'd have to spend 6 months laying seeds of doubt over my current unit first...

I bought a 7702a because I couldn't justify a 8802 even on runout, and won't be upgrading in 3 years time unless forced to do so. I could never justify spending over 6k on something I only thought would be good for 3 years. But "it's your money Ralph"

Edited by blybo

@blybo when I first made a comment here about buying this processor, one of the reasons I specifically wanted it was to start fresh with a new machine. The 8801 gets rather warm in its environment, so much so I turn it off in the afternoons in summer. 

Even though it may still have 10 years left in it, I’d rather a clean install. 

I went through my whole system, and the Pre is really the only thing that’s showing it’s age. Rumors and speculation all point to it being an improvement over the 8801 for 2 channel, and I want the use of the App for eqing. Plus, I now have 4k, and I need to have a pre I can pass through. Sure could buy the 8802, but that will also cost over 5k as a run out, so it’s not that much of a stretch to get the 8805. 

And as for overkill, stuff I don’t need, my whole system falls into that category, I have 4 power amps and 6k worth of DAC’s, 805D3’s in a caravan……………………

But  you are correct, it’s my money, my system my choice. Buying that pre won’t derail my finances one bit, at around the time that pre is available.

Edited by Sime

sime i hope get that side project of the equipment rack happening instead of the fridge as you have mentioned might happen :)

otherwise I know have suggested before but instead of av pre sitting on top of the power amps.. id reverse it. 

ie power amps over the avpre. this might help some wiht heat not rising up into the pre ?

that said the av pre itself does have some warmth off it - these things are packed to gills ! . so hence if can relocate to potential new av rack ? even better :) 

anyways congrats on when this happens. its not like you are just updating to the next series or anything. I think have a fair use with the 8801 and moving to new 8805 will likely bring some gains...

we might even have you popping a few b&w mt series on ceiling atmos speakers :D  especially if can squeeze in another amp in the new rack ! 

26 minutes ago, Sime said:

@blybo when I first made a comment here about buying this processor, one of the reasons I specifically wanted it was to start fresh with a new machine. The 8801 gets rather warm in its environment, so much so I turn it off in the afternoons in summer. 

Even though it may still have 10 years left in it, I’d rather a clean install. 

I went through my whole system, and the Pre is really the only thing that’s showing it’s age. Rumors and speculation all point to it being an improvement over the 8801 for 2 channel, and I want the use of the App for eqing. Plus, I now have 4k, and I need to have a pre I can pass through. Sure could buy the 8802, but that will also cost over 5k as a run out, so it’s not that much of a stretch to get the 8805. 

And as for overkill, stuff I don’t need, my whole system falls into that category, I have 4 power amps and 6k worth of DAC’s, 805D3’s in a caravan……………………

But  you are correct, it’s my money, my system my choice. Buying that pre won’t derail my finances one bit, at around the time that pre is available.

Would you like me to measure the heat my 7702 gives out in an open backed cabinet? I suspect this model isn't going to fix your heat issues. Each to their own but I'd get the 8802 and pro Audyssey kit if I was in your shoes. I think you'd get more benefit from the pro kit than any rumoured improvement over the 8802 because your room is so unusual the extra processing power of a pro calibration would probably show great gains, I know it did for me. The 7702 is the equal or better than 8801 for 2 channel so stands to reason 8802 or 8805 will be better again but sometimes it's just change for changes sake with new models, rather than improvement.