THX Video Calibration Sydney

CHES

Hi guys,

I have enrolled in the THX Certified Video Class for the end of March. I was wondering whether there was anyone in the Sydney region that would be interested in a free TV or Projector calibration after easter? I will be offering this to the first 5 people to get back to me. This will help me gain THX Certification and all I ask for in return is a review of my work upon completion.  If anyone is interested you can reply on here or PM me. I am sure I will know alot more upon completion of this course but if you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Edited by CHES

45 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Hi mate,

i was just wondering what tools you would be using to perform the calibration and how long the average calibration takes?

Hi mate,

As for time to calibrate will depend on what it is that requires calibration. For example a TV will take less time generally than a projector. That’s from what I understand so far. Being that the course is very hands on I’m sure I will know alot more upon completion.

As for gear I will be trying out different Meters and Generators throughout the course. At the moment I will be looking at purchasing the ChromaPure THX Pro software and a Murideo Generator with X-Rite Pro D3 Meter and i1Pro2 spectroradiometer. This has been recommended as a good starting point by Gregg at THX. 

Hope I have answered your questions adequately mate. I am sure I will know alot more upon completion of the course. 

23 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Okay - great. Thanks for answering  my questions. I have a projector, we might be able to help each other out.

Cheers.

100% mate,

Shoot me a PM and I’ll contact you closer to easter to arrange a time that will suit. 

Thanks.

Cameron Sampson

Does anyone still believe in THX, since Lucas films don't use THX approved equipment? Sky Walker ranch used  Chord electronics & PMC speakers. None of which are THX certified. Thomas Holtzman (the TH in the THX experiment) has disassociated himself from the the project. Probably owned by Disney now(speculation)

On 22/01/2018 at 11:43 PM, magical said:

Does anyone still believe in THX, since Lucas films don't use THX approved equipment? Sky Walker ranch used  Chord electronics & PMC speakers. None of which are THX certified. Thomas Holtzman (the TH in the THX experiment) has disassociated himself from the the project. Probably owned by Disney now(speculation)

I do.  The still have very high standards and you should know that any product with the badge will perform to a certain level, usually being the best in that price point.  
The original THX processing is sort of redundant now that studios (starting with Disney) created "consumer" mixes from the cinema mix.  For years, we got the same mix at home.  And this is partly why the Home THX Audio system was created in the first place.  Now you will see "enhanced for home theatre" on some titles.  These soundtracks sound balanced and are not sibilent like older soundtracks (pre 2000).    

A quick break down  - 

Re-EQ is no longer needed because film sound is now re-eqed for the home for packaged media.

Timbre Match might still be of use, but needs updating for ATMOS (I'm sure Onkyo will do it).
Decorrelation was only really needed for the mono surround of Pro-logic.

Bass Management is now used by every product because they know the benefits out weight "large" speaker settings on modern AV gear.  

Control over vertical directivity kind of losts its way once people started to build risers.  

Dipolar speakers will always give a more diffuse sound field, but people seem to want more directional speakers these days.  Maybe they have never heard a full 11CH ATMOS system using 4 pair of diploes.  I have and it is amazing.  

Subwoofers have gotten smaller for tighter bass.  Almost gone are the days of needing 2 x 12" cones for bass.  Subs like Sunfire can deliver the same SPL from much smaller units.  

Just an update guys, I have filled all free spots but if anyone would like a quote feel free to contact me for special Stereonet pricing. 

Magical,

As CAVX has said I still believe in what THX represents. From all the research done before deciding on which calibration course to attend I found that THX was still highly regarded and offer some of the best training. The calibrator has to submit all results to THX to ensure all calibrations meets there standards. I also require 10 certified calibrations and have to complete an audio calibration course aswell to become fully THX Certified. Considering the effort and quality control they take I believe they still withhold high standards. After the course I may have a different view but I assume it will re-iterate what i already believe from them.

Regards

Cameron Sampson

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I apologise for the hiatus and unfortunately I was unable to complete the course in Singapore due to appendicitis and surgery 3 days before the flight out. The guys at THX were good enough to reschedule my booking to the end of September. Anyone that was offered a free calibration that offer is still available to you if you are willing to wait. Again I do apologise for any inconvenience but unfortunately it was out of my control. I hope you all understand and I can offer the same service to you at a later date. 

Thanks

Cameron Sampson

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2018 at 7:26 PM, CHES said:

Just an update guys, I have filled all free spots but if anyone would like a quote feel free to contact me for special Stereonet pricing. 

Magical,

As CAVX has said I still believe in what THX represents. From all the research done before deciding on which calibration course to attend I found that THX was still highly regarded and offer some of the best training. The calibrator has to submit all results to THX to ensure all calibrations meets there standards. I also require 10 certified calibrations and have to complete an audio calibration course aswell to become fully THX Certified. Considering the effort and quality control they take I believe they still withhold high standards. After the course I may have a different view but I assume it will re-iterate what i already believe from them.

Regards

Cameron Sampson

I'm actually A THX certified calibrater,and the fact they charge companies for the THX logo, but don't use any verified equipment at Skywalker ranch speaks volumes. Tomlinsin Holman regarded it as a money making joke sold the rights to Lucas and never came back. I was there, Lucas made millions out of the Tomlinson Holman Expereiment but the majority of the last films were mastered by Soundfirm rather than Skywalker ranch, no THX stuff there. I know, I set it up. 

• 4 months later...
I'm actually A THX certified calibrater,and the fact they charge companies for the THX logo, but don't use any verified equipment at Skywalker ranch speaks volumes. Tomlinsin Holman regarded it as a money making joke sold the rights to Lucas and never came back. I was there, Lucas made millions out of the Tomlinson Holman Expereiment but the majority of the last films were mastered by Soundfirm rather than Skywalker ranch, no THX stuff there. I know, I set it up. 
Sounfirm as in Fox Studio, Sydney?

I visited twice. The first time was during the the time they were THX certified, about 2002, and SW2 AOTC had just hit DVD.
The 2nd time was well after SW 3 was done, so probably mid 2006.

There was a massive difference between visits.

I was blown away with how quiet the main mix stage was in 02, and really surprised how noisy it seemed in 06.

In 02, they claimed it cost $30kUSD to hold that certification. At the time, we were about $0.54usd.

What would have changed in that time remains to be answered. If the room was able to achieve the noise criteria of THX in 02, surely they would have been able to maintain that for the following years.