Question time, why is it that when driving a second zone (stereo zone 2 for eg.) receivers can only switch analog sources to play in the zone and not say optical inputs?

Posted (edited)

Not 100% certain but I’d say if it requires DAC’s then cost/space/topography could be the problem.

Edited by Kaynin

Hi Kaynin, I would agree that if extra HW is required that could be the reason.

I don't think anything extra is required though, an AVR already takes in audio signals from both digital and analog sources and plays both fine through the main zone speakers. It seems odd that the same audio cannot be routed to zone 2 whilst the analog input audio can.

My assumption is that all audio routing to speakers must be done after the DAC is performed, but maybe that is not the case. Perhaps the systems are so simple that they just put a stereo speaker relay on the aggregation point for the analog audio inputs and do nothing to the DAC audio. Thinking about it thats probably the case and as you said it all comes down to cost.

6 hours ago, venno said:

Thinking about it thats probably the case and as you said it all comes down to cost.

Yes top of the line avr's even have a hdmi zone 2 out . Others like the emo XMC1  pre pro have a rather unique 2ch mixdown . Its a shame that ce's leave analog video inputs in and neglect more useful zone 2 sp dif outs ;)

Mix Out

• Two-channel down-mix of analog or digital source playing in main zone – volume tracks main zone.

•  

Cheers Guys 

I think this is resolved, although a little poor on the manufacturers side.