Sign in to follow this  
mattb

Analog-Precision Ultimate Preamplifier

Just wanted to report the very positive experience I have had with the Analog Precision unit I received late last year (http://www.analog-precision.com).

My primary objective with this unit was to replace the miniDSP 10x10 in my system.  My system consists of tri-amped all active full range electrostatic speakers - these are the ERAudio Acorns.  I had been running these speakers fully active for some time - each of the panel sections for bass, mid and treble has it's own power amplifier (Class D on the bass and Class A's on the mid and treble), feeding a dedicated step up transformer, no passive components.  Crossover functions were performed by the miniDSP and after running this system for a few years I wanted to replace the miniDSP with a higher spec unit - higher spec with regards to the DAC itself, processing capacity, ADC's, op-amps, power supply, etc.  The Analog Precision unit ticked these boxes and once I received the unit I found the Audio weaver software easy to use - I simply loaded the crossover points I had established using the miniDSP.  At this point I am using higher order filters than I used in the miniDSP, and the soundstage, imaging and detail are outstanding to my ears.  With speakers as accurate and revealing as the Acorns, I feel that this DSP unit is a good match.

No affiliation with Analog Precision, just a satisfied customer.  Great job David!

What did this cost? Looking at what's inside I could imagine not cheap.

Also here is where it all started, where I kicked off. 

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/264743-hi-dsp-based-multi-channel-integrated-preamp-crossover-dac-project.html

Cheers George

P1040250.jpg

Edited by georgehifi

Base unit is approx $1500 USD and then modules are added to this according to the functionality you need from the Preamp

Based on the functions and quality offered here I think the unit is very fairly priced

cheers

Interesting alternative to mini-DSP and DEQX. Is it possible to configure with digital outputs (and analogue) outputs? And what is the maximum time delay that can be applied to a channel?

Does the unit do phase ?

i wonder f I would like the onboard dac?

The unit does look quite attractive with features. Just wondering how complex the learning curve is to drive one?

Guest Michael Hope
Does the unit do phase ?
The unit does look quite attractive with features. Just wondering how complex the learning curve is to drive one?
What DAC do you currently use?

Guest Michael Hope
Interesting alternative to mini-DSP and DEQX. Is it possible to configure with digital outputs (and analogue) outputs? And what is the maximum time delay that can be applied to a channel?
It has digital inputs and outputs.

Regards phase and time delays, I haven’t used any of these functions as yet and I don’t consider myself an expert on Audioweaver. That said, Audioweaver gives you a blank design sheet with a lot of prebuilt modules you can build your DSP software with, and time delay, phase, different crossover types, orders, etc are all  in the library to be used.

In addition to the above, David also provides standard crossover design files as downloads - I simply downloaded the 3 way design from his website, loaded it in and adjusted the crossover frequencies and slopes.  Compared to miniDSP, Audioweaver is highly configurable tool without too many limitations, miniDSP has a ready built interface which was easy to use, but I wouldn’t say that getting the Analogue Precision unit loaded up and on line was any more difficult.

Yep, my hand is up for one of these !!! Keen as after reading about this it even has a digital phono pre amp. Very smart and a step ahead in Digital  Audio Tech Advancement over all other current devices.

Priced to please and 8 outputs, to me 6 is almost useless 

7 hours ago, joz said:

Does the unit do phase ?

(answer to your question is yes and you mean group delay) I'll grab one of these things  and you can try the 2 x 8 miniDSP that will become redundant Joe, if you like. Try before you buy ! miniDSP is a nice way to get in and learn to drive a DSP, these things are a little more Ferrari and would take a while to get through all the features. 

Yep group delay is what I was talkin about.

like you a 4way is what interests me.

Not sure if I have missed it i wonder if you can load more than one profile ?

And how difficult it is to alter FRs?

On 1/8/2018 at 11:19 PM, mattb said:

Just wanted to report the very positive experience I have had with the Analog Precision unit I received late last year (http://www.analog-precision.com).

My primary objective with this unit was to replace the miniDSP 10x10 in my system.  My system consists of tri-amped all active full range electrostatic speakers - these are the ERAudio Acorns.  I had been running these speakers fully active for some time - each of the panel sections for bass, mid and treble has it's own power amplifier (Class D on the bass and Class A's on the mid and treble), feeding a dedicated step up transformer, no passive components.  Crossover functions were performed by the miniDSP and after running this system for a few years I wanted to replace the miniDSP with a higher spec unit - higher spec with regards to the DAC itself, processing capacity, ADC's, op-amps, power supply,

Re. power supply - I got a major improvement in SQ when I substituted a 12v Sbooster LPSU for the 12v Meanwell SMPS which came with my 10x10HD.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:19 PM, mattb said:

I simply loaded the crossover points I had established using the miniDSP.  At this point I am using higher order filters than I used in the miniDSP, and the soundstage, imaging and detail are outstanding to my ears.

Why didn't you use these higher order filters with your miniDSP 10x10?

Andy

Oops, just posted an extensive discussion of this preamp in my system thread and then I saw this thread. Post is linked here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/106551-keith_w-system/?do=findComment&comment=3828357

Oh, to answer someone's earlier question - how much you can delay is a function of how many taps are available (a function of CPU power of the DSP chip), the resolution that you are convolving, and the amount you need to delay. If you have an anemic CPU and you wish to convolve 192kHz, then the amount of delay you are able to achieve would be considerably less. 

There is an equation to actually calculate how much delay you can get depending on how many taps you have, but I am unable to perform the calculation. Never bothered to learn the equation - all I know is, on the machine I am using (a home PC), I have a huge amount of taps. The SHARC chip on this unit is considerably less powerful by at least an order of magnitude if not more. 

Edited by Keith_W

So it's the taps.

So the amount of taps equates to processing power?

If so , it is what I was referring to in another  thread.

The one box solution to a 4way active crossover with dsp and pre would be an attractive solution particularly if I could get presets and adjust on the fly.

On 10/01/2018 at 4:55 PM, andyr said:

Re. power supply - I got a major improvement in SQ when I substituted a 12v Sbooster LPSU for the 12v Meanwell SMPS which came with my 10x10HD.

Why didn't you use these higher order filters with your miniDSP 10x10?

Andy

Hi Andy

I put a linear power supply on my miniDSP also - about a week after I got it. I also saw a major improvement, particularly in noise at high frequencies.

Re the filters, I believe the highest on the miniDSP was 47dB/octave. I’m currently using much steeper slopes through Audioweaver - investigating the benefits of brickwall like crossovers with my triamped full range ESLs

39 minutes ago, mattb said:

Hi Andy

I put a linear power supply on my miniDSP also - about a week after I got it. I also saw a major improvement, particularly in noise at high frequencies.

Strange, dat!!  :lol:

And yet so many people continue to use their Meanwell with their miniDSP units.  :(

39 minutes ago, mattb said:

Re the filters, I believe the highest on the miniDSP was 47dB/octave. I’m currently using much steeper slopes through Audioweaver - investigating the benefits of brickwall like crossovers with my triamped full range ESLs

48dB.  Actually, Maggies respond well to much lower-order filters ... their latest '.7' models all use 6dB slopes.  I'm currently using:

• sub LP - 24dB
  • bass HP - 24dB
  • bass LP - 18dB
  • mid HP - 6dB
  • mid LP - 12dB
  • ribbon HP - 12dB

... but I am going to try ribbon HP @ 6dB, one of these days.

AIUI, the higher the LP slope ... the higher the resulting group delay.  How do you cope with this, with Audioweaver?

Andy